Records

i've never really bought northern vinyl just got comp cds etc but lately i have the urge to start getting them classics that i heard at nighters which you can never find on cd . but i'm a bit confused as to what to buy i mean ive seen singles on ebay that i would like to buy but they say they are reissue, is it wrong /right to buy re issue or does it not make any differance.

i cant afford to pay some of the prices that i've seen original singles going for so i guess the reissue road is the way for me, any tips comments would be great.

Also do djs at events play reissue singles or is that not the done thing...

thanks for reading

sorry if it sounds dumb

icon_redface.gif

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i've never really bought northern vinyl just got comp cds etc but lately i have the urge to start getting them classics that i heard at nighters which you can never find on cd . but i'm a bit confused as to what to buy i mean ive seen singles on ebay that i would like to buy but they say they are reissue, is it wrong /right to buy re issue or does it not make any differance.

i cant afford to pay some of the prices that i've seen original singles going for so i guess the reissue road is the way for me, any tips comments would be great.

Also do djs at events play reissue singles or is that not the done thing...

thanks for reading

sorry if it sounds dumb

icon_redface.gif

Make a "Wants list" of the records you heard at nighters send it to all the main dealers (with sae or by email) then make your mind up as to what to buy when you see the price.

You are under no obligation to buy and you will get the recoords you really want......SIMPLE :lol::ohmy:

BH

Edited by BLAKE H
Social source share

most of the classics are available on cd nowadays either via goldmine or kent

also there are alot of friendly people on this site who can help you with mp3s so if you are not totally sure of the tracks you can get a version before parting with serious cash.

first thing to do is get a copy of the bootleg guide so you dont get stung on ebay or from any dealer trying it on as you may be new to buying vinyl

also find a dealer that you can trust , i have known dealers who have priced records up more because you have sent them a wants list compaired to the normal price from sales boxes etc

Social source share

so what is a bootleg, just a repressed copy

whats the bootleg guide all about does that show you scans of originals so you dont pay out big money on bootlegs/reissues

whats the best guide to buy for someone like me

Edited by con
Social source share

Con,

leave alone original northern soul vinyls, and try cocaine instead...

At the end of the day, the charly's addiction is a lot less expensive than the vinyl one... whistling.gif

Joking apart, some records are really dear, but if you're not a dj, reissues are ok for domestic use...

Roccia

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Hi Con

I don't think it's wrong to buy reissues, or even boots. It's all down to personal choice. Personally though, and this is just me, i wouldn't buy them because i don't see the difference between owning a reissue or boot and having the track on a CD. I know the format is different and the sound quality but at the end of the day it's still a copy of the original recording and, if i can, i'd rather own that instead.

I don't buy reissues or boots any more (not knowingly anyway rolleyes.gif ) but when i did it was to own a sound which i could never afford on original vinyl, but then i thought to myself i already have this on a CD, or i could buy it with 20 other tracks and the money i spent on the reissue i could have put towards a more affordable original 45. unsure.gif

So i stopped buying reissues. :huh:

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Social source share

Guest For Real

Okay everybody thank you very much for the advice

keep the faith

Con

:D

Before you embark on your first vinyl sprees, it might be worth knowing that buying vinyl, as fantastic as it is, is very addictive! About three years ago I decided that I would draw up a list of my top 20 or so soul tracks to collect on vinyl singles. Just thought it'd be fun to have a few of those lovely old pieces of vinyl, also to use for DJing at occasional parties. Anyway, to cut a long story short, one thing led to another, I got hooked. I now have well over 500 singles... Not a lot by many people's standards - but a lot to spend on records in three years! Now I am a lot poorer, but also very happy at all the fantastic music I have discoverd along the way. It really has been a fascinating voyage. Anyway, if you chose the vinyl route, go into it with open eyes. And, as one person has already said, you can find most things now on CD or MP3, so the vinyl addiction is just luxury really, albeit a very nice one. Good luck, Mark

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!