Emidiscs On Ebay

Rick Smith

The number of Emidiscs turning up on Ebay as 'original acetates' is just getting ridiculous.

Either the people selling are numpties or more than likely just cynical rip off merchants fleecing the ever rising tide of gullible mugs prepared to pay crazy prices for bootlegs and tat on Ebay.

You've got to feel sorry for the unsuspecting victims, but buyers really need to do a little more research before buying. it's one thing selling boots but when you start to describe them as rare originals surely that's criminal. Isn't it time Ebay at least attempted to police the bootleg merchants using their site and bar them from advertising misleading descriptions or is that an unrealistic prospect? After all there must be millions of pounds spent on norther soul records every year on ebay is it unreasonable to expect at least some scrutiny. Some of the descriptions on Ebay make Volkswagon look like pussycats.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Can't see eBay doing anything about. Maybe they would deal with a specific complaint if a buyer sussed they had been stung and wasn't getting any joy on a refund, but general policing isn't going to happen I'd reckon. Would be a good job being the guru passing judgement on the listings though!! Having said that there is so much shite tagged with "northern soul" these days it would soon become suicidally tedious!

Like you say, buyers need to be doing their homework, buying acetates is a tricky business. If it looks too good to be true, it ain't...

Social source share

I got an emidisc of Candy Staton 'Upper Hand' and was thinking of putting it on ebay.

It's quite low-fi and will of course list it as a 'boot'. I bet I still get a nice return for it though.

If yours sells for a nice price some entrepreneur will probably have some more boots pressed and we end up with bootlegs of bootlegs. :yes:

Social source share

I've thought this for ages, an emidisc isn't an acetate, it's a boot if anything, as they were pressed up on privately owned cutters. They are maybe the same material as an acetate but that's where the similarity ends. I just don't think a lot of people know the difference, I think the tell tale sign is 2 different artists on either side.

Social source share

The number of Emidiscs turning up on Ebay as 'original acetates' is just getting ridiculous. Either the people selling are numpties or more than likely just cynical rip off merchants fleecing the ever rising tide of gullible mugs prepared to pay crazy prices for bootlegs and tat on Ebay. You've got to feel sorry for the unsuspecting victims, but buyers really need to do a little more research before buying. it's one thing selling boots but when you start to describe them as rare originals surely that's criminal. Isn't it time Ebay at least attempted to police the bootleg merchants using their site and bar them from advertising misleading descriptions or is that an unrealistic prospect? After all there must be millions of pounds spent on norther soul records every year on ebay is it unreasonable to expect at least some scrutiny. Some of the descriptions on Ebay make Volkswagon look like pussycats.  

It's the sign of the times........................

Social source share

I agree and feel sorry for the poor buggers that are being conned because eventually they will find out. I know that it's a bit self righteous but if I see any advertised as Original Acetates I bombard the sellers with emails telling them that they are just crap copies until they submit and either remove them or tell the truth.

Suggest that you all do the same until these con merchants get the message and go away

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!