Fleetwood V Cleethorpees

Guest kelvinx

Guest kelvinx

Having been to both Cleethorpees and Fleetwood for 1st time this year thought I'd do a quick comparison

Best things about Fleetwood:-Everyone is so upbeat and friendly.The tent was cracking.

Worst things about Fleetwood:-Tiled "Dance floor" in main room is treacherous.Also the main lights on in afternoon,felt like bingo was gonna start!

Best thing about Cleethorpes:-Feels truly international.Listening to top modern sounds whilst chillin out by the pool.

Worst thing about Cleethorpes:-Hearing same records...sometimes within an hour!

As for venues themselves I reckon swings and roundabouts.

i.e. No bottled water at Fleetwood but booze available until 5am!

Conclusion:-Both have got me hooked but would love to see a session for up and coming talent at either place.

Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Having been to both Cleethorpees and Fleetwood for 1st time this year thought I'd do a quick comparison

Best things about Fleetwood:-Everyone is so upbeat and friendly.The tent was cracking.

Worst things about Fleetwood:-Tiled "Dance floor" in main room is treacherous.Also the main lights on in afternoon,felt like bingo was gonna start!

Best thing about Cleethorpes:-Feels truly international.Listening to top modern sounds whilst chillin out by the pool.

Conclusion:-Both have got me hooked but would love to see a session for up and coming talent at either place.

link

Yeh i like Cleethorpes, never been to Fleetwood. Agree about same records though. Went to an event two sundays ago and the DJ played lost summer love twice in three records. 1/ I dont think this record has a place at a soul venue and 2/ He knows i hate it so was probably trying to wind me up :diablo: . But repetitive playing of songs can spoil the event, to be fair he played some Benny Troy which went down well and broke up the usual set.

Social source share

I'll tick off the DJs before this years do then, although I hadn't heard that criticism before. What sort of records were getting repeated?

We do the international spot on the Sat afto which goes down a storm and have a few newer DJs on the Sunday but perhaps I'll put a few more in then. Though this year it's going to be competing with "Northern Soul Bingo" (copyright applied for) for time!

Social source share

The scene has never had it so good. Cleethorpes, Prestatyn, Fleetwood,Hemsby all bringing in top quality acts and trying their hardest to please.

The fact is, each promotion has a faithful/loyal 500, the rest are casuals that only good dj's, marketing and a strong customer base win over.

Trust me I'm a promoter. I know how tough it is!

Social source share

Never been to Fleetwood but have heard mixed reports.........suppose like anything you have to try it for yourself.......

As for Cleethorpes I've been there evry year since 96 and I still love it to bits. Always find the crowd very friendly and the music for the most part top notch.

As for giving up and comers nore of a look in Cleethorpes has the Sat afternoon 'League of Nations' sessions which over the years has by general consensus been a huge success.........

What about Prestatyn.....went this year for the first time and thought it was great although the 24hr bar was nearly the death of me

John

Social source share

I've been to both and enjoyed them both. I think they can cater for diffferent crowds for it's highly possible that someone may prefer one to the other. It doesn't mean it's better. The thing they both have in common though is great live acts. Bunny Sigler - wow!

Social source share

link

I think more promoters are looking at giving fresh talent a go..Cleethorpes does this with the 3rd room upstairs and i get no greater pleasure than to get the likes of Brett,John May,Little Ann,Neil Gibson,Nick Hackett,Lisa Hurley,Little Richard and many more to play at the Ducie,i think its the way forward because big names don't have the same pulling power now because they play at so many venues and sometimes at two events in the same night...I would travel a long way to see certain djs but now you know you can catch them playing every week...Lets keep as fresh as we can with young and new blood playing at more venues,also more power to all the females out there who don't get enough plays(apart from in London)...Bring on the revolution or die a slow stale death...Its whats in the box and heart that counts for me and a lot of others...No disrespect to any djs who have done the business over many years but there are plenty of others who have the tunes and want to play..

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've never been to a bad weekender.

All the guys who put them on work incredibly hard and deserve our thanks. I prefer Cleethorpes, but Prestatyn pushes it real close.

I went to two Togetherness weekenders before the nonsense with the London scene started, and enjoyed them both. Though due to tha they have lost someone who would have been a regular.

In a weekend, not everything is going to run 100% smoothly. If anything does go wrong, like the floor needing repairs, there are always hundreds of friendly people to chat to while whatever is being sorted.

I'd take a bit of an issue with Kev. I would say Cleethorpes is 85% the same people each year, as I know to guarantee a place for the following year, we have to book on the way in to this years weekend. I cant speak for Togetherness, but I met loads and loads of the same people both years.

Its been mentioned before, but 100 or a thousand postings on here, wont get me to go to an event. One sentence from a mate will.

Social source share

I think more promoters are looking at giving fresh talent a go..Cleethorpes does this with the 3rd room upstairs and i get no greater pleasure than to get the likes of Brett,John May,Little Ann,Neil Gibson,Nick Hackett,Lisa Hurley,Little Richard and many more to play at the Ducie,i think its the way forward because big names don't have the same pulling power now because they play at so many venues and sometimes at two events in the same night...I would travel a long way to see certain djs but now you know you can catch them playing every week...Lets keep as fresh as we can with young and new blood playing at more venues,also more power to all the females out there who don't get enough plays(apart from in London)...Bring on the revolution or die a slow stale death...Its whats in the box and heart that counts for me and a lot of others...No disrespect to any djs who have done the business over many years but there are plenty of others who have the tunes and want to play..

link

Stevie,

We are are already doing it -dave abbot-rachel shirley,carol mcarthy, cookie-and we are adding more and more.I HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR

Social source share

I've never been to a bad weekender.

All the guys who put them on work incredibly hard and deserve our thanks. I prefer Cleethorpes, but Prestatyn pushes it real close.

I went to two Togetherness weekenders before the nonsense with the London scene started, and enjoyed them both. Though due to tha they have lost someone who would have been a regular.

In a weekend, not everything is going to run 100% smoothly. If anything does go wrong, like the floor needing repairs, there are always hundreds of friendly people to chat to while whatever is being sorted.

I'd take a bit of an issue with Kev. I would say Cleethorpes is 85% the same people each year, as I know to guarantee a place for the following year, we have to book on the way in to this years weekend. I cant speak for Togetherness, but I met loads and loads of the same people both years.

Its been mentioned before, but 100 or a thousand postings on here, wont get me to go to an event. One sentence from a mate will.

link

Nonsense wth London? We puled at least 400 from the South East alone at the weekend!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Negatives:

Dance floor was fucking shite in the northern room. And I mean, REALLY FUCKING SHITE. :diablo:

The non english speaking bar boys who didn't know what a G+T was, and it took half an hour to get a three quid bottle of bud.

Why did they not turn the air con on?

I felt that the music in the northern room was very 'soul by numbers', and at times the DJs were rather incoherant with their sets, which isn't that unusual, and I kind of expected it anyway.

I think I heard Mel Britt played 5 times as well, which really anoyed me.

Live acts.

Positives:

No silly, embarrassing dance competitions.

The gurl DJs played some nice stuff that interested and is not heard very often.

The tent.

The caravans.

The farm cafe over the road.

The people.

The fun.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Nonsense wth  London? We puled at least 400 from the South East alone at the weekend!

link

I'm sure you did Kev. I wasnt referring to anything you had done. I dont wish to rake over old discussions. I'm certain you know what I mean anyway.

Like I said I enjoyed myself up there the times I went, and wouldnt put anyone off going.

I wont go again. Thats my choice, and with Cleethorpes and Prestatyn to look forward to each year. I am more than content with my weekender adventures.

Social source share

Negatives:

Dance floor was fucking shite in the northern room. And I mean, REALLY FUCKING SHITE. :diablo:

The non english speaking bar boys who didn't know what a G+T was, and it took half an hour to get a three quid bottle of bud.

Why did they not turn the air con on?

I felt that the music in the northern room was very 'soul by numbers', and at times the DJs were rather incoherant with their sets, which isn't that unusual, and I kind of expected it anyway.

I think I heard Mel Britt played 5 times as well, which really anoyed me.

Live acts.

Positives:

No silly, embarrassing dance competitions.

The gurl DJs played some nice stuff that interested and is not heard very often.

The tent.

The caravans.

The farm cafe over the road.

The people.

The fun.

link

Just as a matter of research, why do you think it was packed(and I'm being serious here) ?

Social source share

I went to both and enjoyed them immensely. Maybe I didn't like EVERYTHING about either of them, but they weren't held just to please ME. :P

For all their faults I'd miss 'em if they weren't there.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Stevie,

We are are already doing it -dave abbot-rachel shirley,carol mcarthy, cookie-and we are adding more and more.I HEAR YOU  LOUD AND CLEAR

link

Dave Abbot brushes up well in a blouse. But in all seriousness re: 'female' deejays - and this is directed at all the promoters on the scene with very few exceptions. How about sticking on That Girl Lynne, Dawn Brown (IMO, the best deejay on the scene - never mind the appendages........), Soulful Cris, Val Palmer, Lisa Hurley, Jodie..........Cookie and Carol, Janine, Nicola, Karen C, Michelle, Alison, Rachel, Jumpin' Joan, Carms, Niki Golding.........stick them on the same line up as the guys and not as a FEMALE LINE UP and put them on at decent times - not the graveyard sets so nobody sees them - all the deejays mentioned above have got AWESOME collections and some even have their own radio shows.........PLEASE don't class female deejays as a novelty act - promoters take note .......WE'RE DEEJAYS - forget the tits and fanny - DROP THE FEMALE TAG - you're stating the bleedin' obvious - we know we're female....it's what's in the box that counts and how the PERSON (male or female) gets the floor going and does the business. If there aren't any women on the decks, how the F**K do you expect to attract other women on to them - there have to be role models for them to look up to and say 'I can do that'. Mine were Dave Evison, Richard Searling, and later Randy Cozens and Ian Clark but that was back in the days - this is 2004 and respect us as equals........sorry to rant, but I am a deejay and a female to boot so I am in a position to comment and I don't give a toss if people think I'm arrogant, egotistical or big for my boots..........now I'll sit back and watch the flak whilst I'm doing the ironing. Jo Wallace PS The Minge Mafia do the Girlie Line up at the 100 Club because we like sitting on Ady's face as it's his birthday treat........... :P
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Just as a matter of research, why do you think it was packed(and I'm being serious here) ?

link

Nice people, fun times, good atmosphere. :P

As a matter of research did you try dancing on the floor? And why was the air con not turned on?

But to be honest, non of the negatives detracted from my weekend, because I mainly went along because there was a gurl I've fancied for ages going and I picked up a Jo Jama "My Life" for £60 on Friday (ok, not at the weekender, it was the bay) but it still made my weekend.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I just love weekenders - I think whilst the approximate formula is the same, they all have a distinct and individual flavour.

Cleethorpes is probably the best party in the soul world, such a great mix of brilliant people, very international flavour as someone said, really diverse music in the main room, superb caravan parties.

Fleetwood, now this is extra special for me because of my fave venue within a venue - the awesome Tent. Soul music with no boundaries, no rules - 60's, 70's, Northern, modern, Xover, ballads, mid tempo, Caister anthems...whatever feels right at the time. Don't know how many were squeezed in there, 250 or so - all singing, stepping, waving arms, huge smiles on their faces...just magical.

Musically, weekenders do tend to be a bit safer than regular soul nights and all nighters but it seems to work for the occasion - its as much about the party atmosphere and the crack as it is about music so what the hell.....

Prestatyn - the bar hours as someone said are a killer on the brain, the liver and the wallet, but socially a superb weekender with an excellent line up.

Really enjoy the Hilton/JazzFM modern do's as well...I like a bit of luxury. None of that paying extra for electricity nonsense like at Pontins, or gas canisters running out. Takes us weeks to recover financially though.

Best for music (personal taste here) is Soul Essence in Yarmouth...not the poshest hotel in the world, and it's tiny compared to other weekender venues but for the sounds alone it has to be my favourite. The Fleetwood tent runs a very close second; shame its only open for two nightly sessions but maybe thats what makes it extra special, leaving us wanting more.

Social source share

Dave Abbot brushes up well in a blouse.  But in all seriousness re: 'female' deejays - and this is directed at all the promoters on the scene with very few exceptions.  How about sticking on That Girl Lynne, Dawn Brown (IMO, the best deejay on the scene - never mind the appendages........), Soulful Cris, Val Palmer, Lisa Hurley, Jodie..........Cookie and Carol, Janine, Nicola, Karen C, Michelle, Alison, Rachel, Jumpin' Joan, Carms, Niki Golding.........stick them on the same line up as the guys and not as a FEMALE LINE UP and put them on at decent times - not the graveyard sets so nobody sees them - all the deejays mentioned above have got AWESOME collections and some even have their own radio shows.........PLEASE don't class female deejays as a novelty act - promoters take note .......WE'RE DEEJAYS - forget the tits and fanny - DROP THE FEMALE TAG - you're stating the bleedin' obvious - we know we're female....it's what's in the box that counts and how the PERSON (male or female) gets the floor going and does the business.  If there aren't any women on the decks, how the F**K do you expect to attract other women on to them - there have to be role models for them to look up to and say 'I can do that'.  Mine were Dave Evison, Richard Searling, and later Randy Cozens and Ian Clark but that was back in the days - this is 2004 and respect us as equals........sorry to rant, but I am a deejay and a female to boot so I am in a position to comment and I don't give a toss if people think I'm arrogant, egotistical or big for my boots..........now I'll sit back and watch the flak whilst I'm doing the ironing. Jo Wallace PS The Minge Mafia do the Girlie Line up at the 100 Club because we like sitting on Ady's face as it's his birthday treat........... :P

link

Brilliant :D

Social source share

....it's what's in the box that counts

link

Excellent post!!!!

Having heard Mamma Bongo, Janine, Karen C and Lisa Hurley live, I can say that it makes no difference what sex you are, it's what you play and how you put a set together.

And all the above played fantastics sets. Long may it continue. :P

Jamie

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

Excellent post!!!!

Having heard Mamma Bongo, Janine, Karen C and Lisa Hurley live, I can say that it makes no difference what sex you are, it's what you play and how you put a set together.

And all the above played fantastics sets. Long may it continue. :P

Jamie

link

I quite like being Mamma Bongo :D

Social source share

I find it all a bit vulgar when women discuss what they can fit into their box.

I am defo getting my coat.

link

I did think of the comedy value in that one Mikey (That's why I cut the post down to just that one line!!!!), but decided against it as I don't know Jo, and didn't want her to think I was taking the piss!!!!

Thanks for that Mikey, dirty minds think alike!!!! :P

Jamie :D

Social source share

Dave Abbot brushes up well in a blouse.  But in all seriousness re: 'female' deejays - and this is directed at all the promoters on the scene with very few exceptions.  How about sticking on That Girl Lynne, Dawn Brown (IMO, the best deejay on the scene - never mind the appendages........), Soulful Cris, Val Palmer, Lisa Hurley, Jodie..........Cookie and Carol, Janine, Nicola, Karen C, Michelle, Alison, Rachel, Jumpin' Joan, Carms, Niki Golding.........stick them on the same line up as the guys and not as a FEMALE LINE UP and put them on at decent times - not the graveyard sets so nobody sees them - all the deejays mentioned above have got AWESOME collections and some even have their own radio shows.........PLEASE don't class female deejays as a novelty act - promoters take note .......WE'RE DEEJAYS - forget the tits and fanny - DROP THE FEMALE TAG - you're stating the bleedin' obvious - we know we're female....it's what's in the box that counts and how the PERSON (male or female) gets the floor going and does the business.  If there aren't any women on the decks, how the F**K do you expect to attract other women on to them - there have to be role models for them to look up to and say 'I can do that'.  Mine were Dave Evison, Richard Searling, and later Randy Cozens and Ian Clark but that was back in the days - this is 2004 and respect us as equals........sorry to rant, but I am a deejay and a female to boot so I am in a position to comment and I don't give a toss if people think I'm arrogant, egotistical or big for my boots..........now I'll sit back and watch the flak whilst I'm doing the ironing. Jo Wallace PS The Minge Mafia do the Girlie Line up at the 100 Club because we like sitting on Ady's face as it's his birthday treat........... :P

link

Novelty acts :D

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I did think of the comedy value in that one Mikey (That's why I cut the post down to just that one line!!!!), but decided against it as I don't know Jo, and didn't want her to think I was taking the piss!!!!

Thanks for that Mikey, dirty minds think alike!!!! :P

Jamie  :D

link

:D Made me laugh........but then again, the thought of Mikey trying to fit anything in my box is quite amusing. I'm up for anyone stroking my leopard skin box though and it won't cost you a penny :D Feel free to take the piss........I don't mind in the slightest. Jo

Social source share

Making things short and sweet, C.B.P are all good venues in their own way. We should make the best of things and stop moaning. If you don't like it, you don't go the next time. As for playing records twice, why not if they are good, over a period of many hours. As for the floor at the B, that is one of the best floors I have danced on. Just enjoy it, you only live twice! I would like to see more female dj's involved in the spectrum.

Cheers Billy :P

link

Social source share

:P Made me laugh........but then again, the thought of Mikey trying to fit anything in my box is quite amusing.  I'm up for anyone stroking my leopard skin box though and it won't cost you a penny  :D Feel free to take the piss........I don't mind in the slightest.  Jo

link

Okey-Dokey then.

Do you prefer 7" in your box as they are easier to handle than say, a 12"?? or do you have a box that can handle both????

Social source share

Okey-Dokey then.

Do you prefer 7" in your box as they are easier to handle than say, a 12"?? or do you have a box that can handle both????

Jamie  :P

link

You are missing the obvious there Jamie :D

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Did you see KR has nicked our idea for a Northern Soul panto Jo??

:diablo:

link

Damn - I wanted to be Widow Twankey - you could've been Buttons and Janine could've been Cinders......auditions will be taking place round the back of the bike shed at Cleethorpes and the final production will be at the Accrington Empire.........but what about Northern Soul BINGO..........I mentioned that years ago having called bingo in Margate in '74 at the Lido - Number 8 - Acetate, Number 4 - Out on the Floor, Number 7 - Bootleg Heaven..........any more for any more??? Pop ya money in the slot........all four corners, corner to corner, side to side, top to bottom.......eyes down. And you wondered where I learnt to use the mike :P Jo
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Okey-Dokey then.

Jamie  :P

link

In the words of Bullnose Jackson - I opt for a nice 10".........and put it on 33 and not 45......... :D
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Surely no box can handle both at the same time?????????

:P

link

Blimey - don't you watch any interesting educational DVDs with those lithe athletic young ladies demonstrating the advantages of youth and elasticity? Look and learn.......it'll make your eyes water :D
Social source share

Blimey - don't you watch any interesting educational DVDs with those lithe athletic young ladies demonstrating the advantages of youth and elasticity? Look and learn.......it'll make your eyes water  :P

link

I do not :D

Ask Ali, she'll tell you I'm a good boy :D

Social source share

Surely no box can handle both at the same time?????????

:P

link

I was going to make a comment about needing two different boxes for that but I won't cos I'm a nice girl and it might be misconstrued... :D

Great post Jo :D

Rach

Edited by rachel
Social source share

Did you see KR has nicked our idea for a Northern Soul panto Jo??

:diablo:

link

And if we can make money out of it -we'll do it.

Don't respond--I am kidding right?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

No.... it's our idea! :diablo:

We printed up our flyers weeks ago.... :P

WOOF!

link

Ours was more of a film noire type.

With chirpy cockernee accents and lots of Thames Mist.

I do remember we were going to get the guy that played Ritchie in Hapy Days, to play Paul T-P :D

Social source share

I'll tick off the DJs before this years do then, although I hadn't heard that criticism before. What sort of records were getting repeated?

Ady, Lenny Curtis was played three times on the Friday night alone :D

Being realistic though you are bound to hear the odd record repeated from night to night at any weekender.

Three weekenders have been mentioned in this thread but a notable ommission is Skegness! I went to Skeggy in October, more for "social" reasons than anything else and not expecting too much musically.

It turned out to be one of the best events I've been to in my life :D

The music in the second room was top class: Brilliant sets from Roger, Sam, Nige, Caz McCarthy and also some DJs "let loose" whom you would normally associate with oldies.

Brilliant atmosphere and excellent dancefloors in both rooms.

Carmen posted a well written review on Soul Talk while memories were still fresh if anyone wants more detail.

Just trying to give credit where credit is due :D

Dave

Social source share

I was going to make a comment about needing two different boxes for that but I won't cos I'm a nice girl and it might be misconstrued...  :D

Rach

link

Now do you get it Jamie ? :D

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Now do you get it Jamie ?  :D

link

One dirtbox, one dj box :D and a saturday night fish fry.........i'll get my coat too :D Anyway, how did we get from Fleetwood to this.......filth
Social source share

One dirtbox, one dj box  :D and a saturday night fish fry.........i'll get my coat too  :D Anyway, how did we get from Fleetwood to this.......filth

link

You can't beat a fish supper Jo :D

Jamie

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Ours was more of a film noire type.

With chirpy cockernee accents and lots of Thames Mist.

I do remember we were going to get the guy that played Ritchie in Hapy Days, to play Paul T-P :D

link

That's so true..........It was in the vein of an Ealing production - not a pantomine but a film. It's all coming back to me - gor blimey guvnor - is that a Buddy Smith in ya hand and PTP as the policeman with lead round the bottom of his cape brandishing his truncheon. To put a bit more soul content into these postings - Bernie Moore, I want to be loved to death - great track and should be played more. :D
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

You can't beat a fish supper Jo  :D

Jamie

link

Ah, but a distant memory....... at the moment :D - I must get the fillet back on the menu :D Which brings us neatly back to Fleetwood - which had an impressive fishing fleet........weak link but the best I can do
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!