Soul Records About The Vietnam War

Guest mrs norman maine

Guest mrs norman maine

Just curious about how many records there are out there that feature the Vietnam war as a topic. Records that were either protesting, pro-the war, or sitting on the fence.

Brilliant Korners is the one that immediately springs to mind.

My favourite, apart from the 4 Tops style-intro, is Beverly Shaffer "where will you be boy?" She's sitting on the fence really; albeit in a rather melancholic, regretful way whistling.gif

Was Emanuel Lasky's "Peace Loving Man" about the Vietnam War, or just an all-purpose protest?

Any more?

Social source share

• Replies 71
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just curious about how many records there are out there that feature the Vietnam war as a topic. Records that were either protesting, pro-the war, or sitting on the fence.

My favourite, apart from the 4 Tops style-intro, is Beverly Shaffer "where will you be boy?" She's sitting on the fence really; albeit in a rather melancholic, regretful way whistling.gif

Was Emanuel Lasky's "Peace Loving Man" about the Vietnam War, or just an all-purpose protest?

Any more?

Pacesetters - My ship is coming in - Mica
Social source share

Worthwhile looking at the following 2 Kent CD's

A SOLDIER'S SAD STORY - CDKEN 226

Greetings This Is Uncle Sam - The Monitors / He'll Be Back - The Players / Marching Off To War - William Bell / While I'm Away (Baby Keep The Faith) - Eddy G Giles / Going To Vietnam - Big Amos / Lonely Soldier - Mike Williams / I Believe I'm Gonna Make It - Joe Tex / Christmas In Vietnam - Johnny & Jon / I'm Gonna Help Hurry My Brothers Home - Jimmy Holiday / Let's Face Facts - James Carr / Lights Out - Zerben R Hicks & The Dynamics / When Johnny Comes Marching Home - Richard Barbary / A Soldier's Sad Story - Tiny Watkins / A Letter From Vietnam - Emanuel Lasky / Three Lonely Guys - Brilliant Corners / Something You Couldn't Write About - Gloria Edwards / Mail Call Time - Mel & Tim / There's Someone (Waiting Back Home) - The O'Jays / Stop The War Now - Edwin Starr / Bring The Boys Home - Freda Payne / P.O.W-M.I.A - The Whispers / I Can't Write Left Handed - Bill Withers / Back To The World - Curtis Mayfield / Sam Stone - Swamp Dogg

DOES ANYBODY KNOW I'M HERE - CDKEN 245

Soldier's Plea - Marvin Gaye / Please Wait For Me - The Masters Of Houston / Your Heart Belongs To Me - The Velvelettes / Please Mr President - King Solomon / Keep A Light In The Window Till I Come Home - JW Alexander / Please Uncle Sam - The Charmels / Soldier's Goodbye - William Bell / Wait For Me - Brothers Of Soul / A Soldier's Prayer 1967 - Archie Bell & The Drells / Take Good Care - Tony mason / Don't Cry For Me Soldier Boy - Thelma Houston / Does Anybody Know I'm Here - The Dells / Am I Ever Gonna See My Baby Again - The Sweet Inspirations / Don't Cry My love - The Impressions / Vaya Con Dios + Fellows In Vietnam - Inez & Charlie Foxx / Standing On The Corner - Watson & The Sherlocks / I Can't See You No More - Joe Tex / A Letter From My Son - Melverine Thomas / War - The Temptations / Open Letter To The President - Roy C / I Should Be Proud - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas / Welcome The Boys Back Home - Bill Moss & The Celestrials / So Glad You're Home - The Superbs / March To The Witch's Castle - Funkadelic

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

thanks Nick, quite a few then. Didn't even know about the Kent CD! rolleyes.gif

And thanks to you other guys. Particularly agree with the JP Robinson, but all good stuff!

Any more that we've missed?

Social source share

Greetings This Is Uncle Sam - The Monitors / He'll Be Back - The Players / Marching Off To War - William Bell / While I'm Away (Baby Keep The Faith) - Eddy G Giles / Going To Vietnam - Big Amos / Lonely Soldier - Mike Williams / I Believe I'm Gonna Make It - Joe Tex / Christmas In Vietnam - Johnny & Jon / I'm Gonna Help Hurry My Brothers Home - Jimmy Holiday / Let's Face Facts - James Carr / Lights Out - Zerben R Hicks & The Dynamics / When Johnny Comes Marching Home - Richard Barbary / A Soldier's Sad Story - Tiny Watkins / A Letter From Vietnam - Emanuel Lasky / Three Lonely Guys - Brilliant Corners / Something You Couldn't Write About - Gloria Edwards / Mail Call Time - Mel & Tim / There's Someone (Waiting Back Home) - The O'Jays / Stop The War Now - Edwin Starr / Bring The Boys Home - Freda Payne / P.O.W-M.I.A - The Whispers / I Can't Write Left Handed - Bill Withers / Back To The World - Curtis Mayfield / Sam Stone - Swamp Dogg

Soldier's Plea - Marvin Gaye / Please Wait For Me - The Masters Of Houston / Your Heart Belongs To Me - The Velvelettes / Please Mr President - King Solomon / Keep A Light In The Window Till I Come Home - JW Alexander / Please Uncle Sam - The Charmels / Soldier's Goodbye - William Bell / Wait For Me - Brothers Of Soul / A Soldier's Prayer 1967 - Archie Bell & The Drells / Take Good Care - Tony mason / Don't Cry For Me Soldier Boy - Thelma Houston / Does Anybody Know I'm Here - The Dells / Am I Ever Gonna See My Baby Again - The Sweet Inspirations / Don't Cry My love - The Impressions / Vaya Con Dios + Fellows In Vietnam - Inez & Charlie Foxx / Standing On The Corner - Watson & The Sherlocks / I Can't See You No More - Joe Tex / A Letter From My Son - Melverine Thomas / War - The Temptations / Open Letter To The President - Roy C / I Should Be Proud - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas / Welcome The Boys Back Home - Bill Moss & The Celestrials / So Glad You're Home - The Superbs / March To The Witch's Castle - Funkadelic

have both of these and i love them both..Some really good stuff..

Social source share

My favourite, apart from the 4 Tops style-intro, is Beverly Shaffer "where will you be boy?" She's sitting on the fence really; albeit in a rather melancholic, regretful way shades.gif

Any more?

Think this was about Vietnam: Charades - You'd Better Believe it (old Pat Brady Stafford spin) rolleyes.gif

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

two more i can think with the 1st one being loosely related rolleyes.gif

a.c.reed - my baby's been cheating - "it couldn't have been my brother cos he is in vietnam"

ralph graham - she just sits there (maybe earlier than vietnam?)

Shane

Social source share

This was about Vietnam then.

Its weird that for some reason (probably the trumpets) always makes me think of John Wayne WWII movies.

Can't remember if it directly mentions the war, but always assumed that it was meant as a pro sign-up song lyrically: 'Sometimes, things in this country go wrong ... but if somebody tried to end her, I would lay down my life to defend her' etc

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Can't remember if it directly mentions the war, but always assumed that it was meant as a pro sign-up song lyrically: 'Sometimes, things in this country go wrong ... but if somebody tried to end her, I would lay down my life to defend her' etc

Yep. He sings about being looked down on as a black man- "second-class citizen, is what they say I am" but is still willing to die for the US. Hmmmm....still I suppose it's a bit like when someone criticises your mother or something. It's OK for you to do, but not anyone else.... rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Both compiled by - and one annotated by - me, incidentally. Not that I am one to brag about his work (he lied...)

There are easily enough great tunes to do a third volume, but the trouble is, most of the tunes we want for it can't be cleared for reissue due to licensing problems. The Chymes' "My Baby's Gone Away" being a case in point, I've tried to get it for both previous volumes but to no avail...

TONE rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Marvin Gaye "What's Going On" was, perhaps the most famous, anti-Vietnam inspired 'Soul' protest song.

However, Motown produced several other gems around the time of (and inspired by) the Vietnam war.

Temptations & Edwin Starr "Stop The War Now" & "War"

Monitors "Greetings - This Is Uncle Sam"

The Supremes "Bill, When Are You Coming Back" (phenomenal tune)

Then, of course, from other sources..... all over the USA......... we had...

Mel & Tim "Mail Call Time"

Bill Withers "I Cant Write Left Handed"

William Bell "Marching Off To War"

Jimmy Holiday "I'm Gonna Help Hurry My Brothers Home"

James Carr "Lets Face Facts"

Mike Williams "Lonely Soldier"

Freda Payne "Bring The Boys Home"

Curtis Mayfield "Back To The World"

Walter Jackson "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" (Reviving the Pete Seeger classic)

Black America had enough to contend with in the early/mid sixties and many 'Social Concious' songs were initially mostly concerned with domestic issues. It wasn't until 1967 (two years after US troops first set foot in Nam) that attentions and protests switched to the tragic loss of life in Vietnam.

The tragedy of the War inspired some magnificent music from Black America - And I'd certainly rather listen to any of the above over the Bob Dylan and Barry McGuire 'classic' protest songs.

Sean

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Marvin Gaye "What's Going On" was, perhaps the most famous, anti-Vietnam inspired 'Soul' protest song.

However, Motown produced several other gems around the time of (and inspired by) the Vietnam war.

Temptations & Edwin Starr "Stop The War Now" & "War"

Monitors "Greetings - This Is Uncle Sam"

The Supremes "Bill, When Are You Coming Back" (phenomenal tune)

Then, of course, from other sources..... all over the USA......... we had...

Mel & Tim "Mail Call Time"

Bill Withers "I Cant Write Left Handed"

William Bell "Marching Off To War"

Jimmy Holiday "I'm Gonna Help Hurry My Brothers Home"

James Carr "Lets Face Facts"

Mike Williams "Lonely Soldier"

Freda Payne "Bring The Boys Home"

Curtis Mayfield "Back To The World"

Walter Jackson "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" (Reviving the Pete Seeger classic)

Black America had enough to contend with in the early/mid sixties and many 'Social Concious' songs were initially mostly concerned with domestic issues. It wasn't until 1967 (two years after US troops first set foot in Nam) that attentions and protests switched to the tragic loss of life in Vietnam.

The tragedy of the War inspired some magnificent music from Black America - And I'd certainly rather listen to any of the above over the Bob Dylan and Barry McGuire 'classic' protest songs.

Sean

The late Pops Staples AND Sam Cooke both reckoned that Dylan was the greatest social commentator of his generation. Sam is said to have written "A Change Is Gonna Come" as a direct result of hearing "Blowin' In The Wind" and realising that no African American songwriter had ever summed up the Negro's plight as well as this young white Jewish boy from Minnesota...

Good enough for Pops and Sam, good enough for me.

TONE rolleyes.gif

Social source share

I put up a soundfile of Skip Jackson & The Shantons - Promise That You'll Wait (Dot-Mar) about a week ago - top quality Vietnam record. As is Ortheia Barnes - Waiting For Joey (Coral) other side of I've Never Loved No-one (Like I love You).

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

My faves are -

Jimmie Ellis - Happy To Be (Century City) Jimmie telling the tale with post 'Nam nightmares lingering on

& on the Deep side, the saddest of 'em all IMO - Troy Seals - Mama Hold My Hand (Rising Sons)

Cheers Pat

was just gonna post jimmy ellis

when you suss out the words - turns a great song into a epic

"when the morning comes....."

Social source share

Not good enough for me though Tony.

Sure, Bob Dylan could write a little (lights blue touch paper) and I'm pretty sure it was the lyrics that inspired Sam Cooke and numerous others in this instance..... (stands well back) but to my ears the guy just didn't have a 'voice'.........(BOOM!!)......... that's why I stated that I'd rather 'listen' to any of the above than "listen to Dylan".

Sam Cooke also loved Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra... but they've always left me absolutely cold.

I have a couple of long standing friends who are well into Dylan.... and once when I informed them that Dylan had stated that Smokey Robinson was "America's greatest living poet" I'm afraid it cut about as much ice with them as your (Pop's & Sam's comments) do with me.

They don't rate Smokey (He sings like a Woman... they reckon) and by the same token I just can't listen to that nasal drone any more than I can tolerate or appreciate the sound of Freddie Mercury, Madonna, Robbie Williams or other such 'Pop / Rock Icons'.

John Lennon said "before Elvis...there was nothing"

He also said "We are all part of the sky...more so than of the ground" rolleyes.gif

Thankfully, I'm just not influenced by such stuff.

Pops Staples / Sam Cooke, or any other such 'artists endorsement' such as "Dylan was the greatest Social commentator of his generation" (or any other similar point of reference) wouldn' t and couldn't change my taste in music one iota.

Cest la vie.... I like coffee.... they like tea!

shades.gif

Sean

Social source share

Mitty Collier - My Party ?

Don't think it actually mentions the Vietnam war in words, but it's basically about her having a party because her "baby" is going to "the war across the sea". So baring in mind it's time of release i would asume that she meant the Vietnam war.

Talking of Vietnam, a relative of mine went on holiday there last year, on a tour of various sites of the war. Not recomended if you are clostrophobic as you get to go down the tunnels & underground camps that they built. Which he said, made you realise why the USA could never defeat them, these tunnels could stretch for miles & had areas that could sustain them underground for long periods. They could just pop up literaly anywhere & disapear just as quick, just perfect gorilla warfare.

He also noted that it made you realise what a tragic war it was, such a beautiful place & such friendly people.

People who didn't really want communism but were maybe forced into it's embrace .

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

My favourite, apart from the 4 Tops style-intro, is Beverly Shaffer "where will you be boy?" She's sitting on the fence really; albeit in a rather melancholic, regretful way rolleyes.gif

Any more?

The Dells, Does anyone know i,m here. Think thats about the Vietnam War. Oops didnt read other posts

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Not good enough for me though Tony.

Sure, Bob Dylan could write a little (lights blue touch paper) and I'm pretty sure it was the lyrics that inspired Sam Cooke and numerous others in this instance..... (stands well back) but to my ears the guy just didn't have a 'voice'.........(BOOM!!)......... that's why I stated that I'd rather 'listen' to any of the above than "listen to Dylan".

Sam Cooke also loved Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra... but they've always left me absolutely cold.

I have a couple of long standing friends who are well into Dylan.... and once when I informed them that Dylan had stated that Smokey Robinson was "America's greatest living poet" I'm afraid it cut about as much ice with them as your (Pop's & Sam's comments) do with me.

They don't rate Smokey (He sings like a Woman... they reckon) and by the same token I just can't listen to that nasal drone any more than I can tolerate or appreciate the sound of Freddie Mercury, Madonna, Robbie Williams or other such 'Pop / Rock Icons'.

John Lennon said "before Elvis...there was nothing"

He also said "We are all part of the sky...more so than of the ground" whistling.gif

Thankfully, I'm just not influenced by such stuff.

Pops Staples / Sam Cooke, or any other such 'artists endorsement' such as "Dylan was the greatest Social commentator of his generation" (or any other similar point of reference) wouldn' t and couldn't change my taste in music one iota.

Cest la vie.... I like coffee.... they like tea!

:lol:

Sean

Fair enough, my friend, as always you make a reasoned - and reasonable - argument for your dislike of Dylan....

...who, in 1963, wrote one of the greatest and most valid lines ever to grace a popular music song - "Don't criticise what you can't understand" :lol: ...

Only joking, mate, it wouldn't do for us all to like the same thing, otherwise there'd be no point in having a forum like this, where we can argue the toss about those we love and those we don't love so much - and there'd be even less copies of Lester Tipton, Al Williams, Eddie Parker etc. to go round than there are already!

TONE :lol:

Social source share

The late Pops Staples AND Sam Cooke both reckoned that Dylan was the greatest social commentator of his generation. Sam is said to have written "A Change Is Gonna Come" as a direct result of hearing "Blowin' In The Wind" and realising that no African American songwriter had ever summed up the Negro's plight as well as this young white Jewish boy from Minnesota...

TONE thumbsup.gif

...and if only there was a still a Soul singer around who could release a double LP as good as 'Modern Times' 40+ years after his first!!!

Mike

Social source share

...and if only there was a still a Soul singer around who could release a double LP as good as 'Modern Times' 40+ years after his first!!!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes its a shame that both Sam Cooke and Pops Staples are no longer with us.

By the way, did you get the new Unifics LP?

..........Al Johnson still delivering... 40+ years on.

Or how about the new Persuaders LP?

Ditto

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Hi Mike,

Yes its a shame that both Sam Cooke and Pops Staples are no longer with us.

By the way, did you get the new Unifics LP?

..........Al Johnson still delivering... 40+ years on.

Or how about the new Persuaders LP?

Ditto

:thumbsup:

Sean

Don't get me wong Sean - I would like nothing more than great Soul music to be released and performed live - and you know I go to great lengths to catch it. I just think it has been slim pickings (and i don't mean the cowboy!) for 20 plus years.

I simply like all kinds of music and appreciate Pops, Sam, Smokey, Dylan, Sinatra, Persuaders alike ....but it makes me laugh when people say 'Dylan has not got a voice' - that's like saying Miles Davis can't play the trumpet!! Dylan has got to be the most important figure in 20th century popular music and he is still doing it

Mind I have never been invited back to the 'deep' room at Yarmouth since I mentioned his name when I played Howard Tate's version of 'Girl Of The North Country' :thumbsup::):D

Mike

Social source share

Take good care,tony mason

Soldiers plea,marvin gaye

march too witch`s castle,finkadelic

i should be proud,martha reeves & the vandellas

please wait for me darling,masters of soul

am i never gonna see my baby again,sweet inspirations

a soldiers prayer 1967,archie bell

a letter from my son,melvrine thomas

welcome the boys back home,bill moss

Theres a couple for the pot.

Social source share

My favourite, apart from the 4 Tops style-intro, is Beverly Shaffer "where will you be boy?" She's sitting on the fence really; albeit in a rather melancholic, regretful way :thumbsup:

Any more?

Does anyone know the Sensational Saints "The War is over" on BRO records out of Washington DC. A great slab of deep soul. Obviously a gospel group but no god bothering in the lyrics to this one.

Not a protest, as many of these records are'nt. Lyrically LBJ and Nixon would have approved, all about getting the job done and home in one piece.

The biggest protest record must have been Frieda Payne"Bring the boys home" which sold shed loads stateside.

Don't thinks anyones mentioned Joe Tex "I believe I'm gonna make it" on Dial, great record.

For the pro camp I can only thinks of Staff Sargent Barry Sadler's "Ballad of the Green Berets" Not to be confused in any way with our hero Reggie Sadler!

Regards Alan

Social source share

Don't thinks anyones mentioned Joe Tex "I believe I'm gonna make it" on Dial, great record.

Regards Alan

Great record Alan - not sure about it being protest though, contains the classic verse ...

When I got your Letter Baby

I was in a fox hole on my knees

And the letter broughs me so much strengh

I tell what I did...

I rasied up and killed me two more enemy !!

Mike

Social source share

was just gonna post jimmy ellis

when you suss out the words - turns a great song into a epic

"when the morning comes....."

Wow... never listened to all the lyrics before...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

christ! mike & tone bob fans. would never have admitted it myself for fear of being marched to the ducking stool, or worse. working man's blues indeed... :thumbsup:

...A proud Dylanite since 1963, and still buying and enjoying his 21st century albums as they come out. He's also a great record collector himself BTW, and his recent series of internet radio shows (all selections chosen by His Bobness) have been exemplary...

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

one night in june 1978, I chose to go to earl's court instead of wigan. I've never regretted it & have been fully paid up dylan nut ever since. I went to two of his recent spanish shows.

cockle warming stuff. I do understand the non-believers though, it either hits you or it doesn't it. now back to soul. :thumbsup:

well, let's talk about his past birds. clydie king & mavis staples for start. excellent taste I might add...

Social source share

two more i can think with the 1st one being loosely related :thumbsup:

a.c.reed - my baby's been cheating - "it couldn't have been my brother cos he is in vietnam"

ralph graham - she just sits there (maybe earlier than vietnam?)

Shane

Was just going to mention them two Shane on reading the first post :)

No ones mentioned 'soldier boy' yet forgot the artist on a virtue acetate, old butch thing now in JT's possesion?

Also the flip to Brenda Starr - satan let me sleep, their is a deep soul side called soldier boy (my soldier boy) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Don't get me wong Sean - I would like nothing more than great Soul music to be released and performed live - and you know I go to great lengths to catch it. I just think it has been slim pickings (and i don't mean the cowboy!) for 20 plus years.

I simply like all kinds of music and appreciate Pops, Sam, Smokey, Dylan, Sinatra, Persuaders alike ....but it makes me laugh when people say 'Dylan has not got a voice' - that's like saying Miles Davis can't play the trumpet!! Dylan has got to be the most important figure in 20th century popular music and he is still doing it

Mind I have never been invited back to the 'deep' room at Yarmouth since I mentioned his name when I played Howard Tate's version of 'Girl Of The North Country' :thumbsup::):D

Mike

Very cosmopolitan Mike,

But, for me, whether it makes you laugh or not, Bob Dylan has always had a bloody awful voice.

No.... absolutely bloody shocking.

As I wrote earlier, he ain't too shabby on the lyric front (IMO), however, him being seen as an important figure in 'popular music' is no recommendation to me. I pretty much abhor most 'popular' music and have done since I was a nipper.

The context of my original point was that Dylan would always be seen, by the mainstream, to be the artist most synoymous with 'protest' music (particularly as regards Vietnam) whereas we, Soul music lovers, would be able to cite such superb artists (and point to such magnificent & poignant lyrics) as those featuring in the list above.

I'm rarely a knocker of anyone's taste in music (refer to my Tea & Coffee analogy earlier).... we might not have exactly the same taste, and you're obviously as entitled to yours as I am to mine, but it often saddens me that, due to the heavyweight promotion that goes into such artists as Bob Dylan (something I like to call POPoganda) there's never the promotion, airtime or column space for the music I love.

And that's why I asked if you'd bought the Unifics and Persuaders recent albums.... cos hardly anyone else did either!

Sean

PS: Looking forward to sharing the sofa with you again in the deep room at Yarmouth next year.... But please leave the whiney, hippie music at home!

:)

Social source share

Very cosmopolitan Mike,

But, for me, whether it makes you laugh or not, Bob Dylan has always had a bloody awful voice.

No.... absolutely bloody shocking.

As I wrote earlier, he ain't too shabby on the lyric front (IMO), however, him being seen as an important figure in 'popular music' is no recommendation to me. I pretty much abhor most 'popular' music and have done since I was a nipper.

The context of my original point was that Dylan would always be seen, by the mainstream, to be the artist most synoymous with 'protest' music (particularly as regards Vietnam) whereas we, Soul music lovers, would be able to cite such superb artists (and point to such magnificent & poignant lyrics) as those featuring in the list above.

I'm rarely a knocker of anyone's taste in music (refer to my Tea & Coffee analogy earlier).... we might not have exactly the same taste, and you're obviously as entitled to yours as I am to mine, but it often saddens me that, due to the heavyweight promotion that goes into such artists as Bob Dylan (something I like to call POPoganda) there's never the promotion, airtime or column space for the music I love.

And that's why I asked if you'd bought the Unifics and Persuaders recent albums.... cos hardly anyone else did either!

Sean

PS: Looking forward to sharing the sofa with you again in the deep room at Yarmouth next year.... But please leave the whiney, hippie music at home!

He`s had a great voice,just didnt use it till the 8ts :) what about his bakcing band,Levon & the Hawks,they`ve done some cool stuff(soul),ie;He dont love you but he`ll break your heart.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I pretty much abhor most 'popular' music and have done since I was a nipper.

....Aha, let's open up that can of worms again, shall we? I think you'll find that the music that this site primarily devotes itself to, was all meant to be 'popular' music at the time of its release. I don't suppose for one minute that Eddie Parker went into the studio to record 'I'm Gone' in the hope that it would be owned solely by a couple of obsessive record collectors, and no one else. I think he probably hoped that he'd make the Top 10 of the local Detroit charts at the very least, and eventually the Billboard Hot 100, too.

I shouldn't imagine that many (if any) of the Viet Nam-related records that this thread has mulled over were made for purely altruistic purposes, either. I'm sure that making a few bucks and possibly geting on national TV and radio entered into the performing and recording process somewhere....

Like Old Nick himself (and I don't mean Mr. Hackett) 'popular' music goes by various names around the world - and we all like at least some of it, whatever we choose to call it...

TONE :thumbsup:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

....I think you'll find that the music that this site primarily devotes itself to, was all meant to be 'popular' music at the time of its release.

Of course Tony. I'm well aware of most artists and labels commercial intentions. But what these people set out to achieve.............. and what actually happened are another story.

That's the real 'rub' for me!

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!