The 21st On Joy 672

Diggin' Dave

I recently found a copy of the '21st' 'i just can't forget your name' on joy 672. I hadn't heard anything about this group before, but the tunes on the 45 were both pretty good. So i decided to do a bit of research...

There seem to be 3 versions of this 45 around

1. 'I just can't forget your name' b/w 'the thought of me losing you'

2. same a-side, but b-side 'the sun came out'

3. same as 2, but with 'the 21st century' on label, and 'century' is crossed out with a marker (this is the one i have)

my question...how did this happen, and is one of the 3 versions a bootleg or something? I think Joy was a detroit-based label, so maybe one of the detroit soul experts could help me out?

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny Mack

Running on memory here, and I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable than I will provide you with more details, but am pretty sure that the 21st is the same group that recorded as 21st Century on Atco, Dot (2 releases) and Bengee (Your smallest wish). They also recorded on Gordy.

The Joy releases are legitimate releases and it is a Detroit label. It was not uncommon for records from that area and era to be released several times with a repeat song on one of the two sides - Sheryl Swope springs to mind and Carol Anderson's "Holding on" which had 2 releases, once with "You Boy" and the other with "Wouldnt treat a dog"

Hope this helps for what its worth !

John

I recently found a copy of the '21st' 'i just can't forget your name' on joy 672. I hadn't heard anything about this group before, but the tunes on the 45 were both pretty good. So i decided to do a bit of research...

3. same as 2, but with 'the 21st century' on label, and 'century' is crossed out with a marker (this is the one i have)

my question...how did this happen, and is one of the 3 versions a bootleg or something? I think Joy was a detroit-based label, so maybe one of the detroit soul experts could help me out?

Social source share

Running on memory here, and I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable than I will provide you with more details, but am pretty sure that the 21st is the same group that recorded as 21st Century on Atco, Dot (2 releases) and Bengee (Your smallest wish). They also recorded on Gordy.

The Joy releases are legitimate releases and it is a Detroit label. It was not uncommon for records from that area and era to be released several times with a repeat song on one of the two sides - Sheryl Swope springs to mind and Carol Anderson's "Holding on" which had 2 releases, once with "You Boy" and the other with "Wouldnt treat a dog"

Hope this helps for what its worth !

John

Joy records, was named after Joy road in west Detroit. I believe it was part owed by Mike Terry.

Social source share

Guest For Real

Thx for the info guys!

I was a bit suspicious because it was so cheap (£0,05!) i could hardly believe it was an original.

Well, you picked up a great bargain there! I last remember seeing one on Manships for about 70 quid and that was a couple of years ago. I like both sides, but think I prefer I can't remember your name. Love it! Has it ever been played out?

Cheers

Mark

Social source share

Running from memory, the "the sun came out" version came first and is harder to pick up. I had a couple of copies with "the thought of me losing you" which were about for £10-£25 over the last few years. "I Just Can't forget your name" is a great track BTW :D

They also recorded on a minor pink label before Dot, but I can't remember it now, even though I have one. It looks like Sugar for obvious "shadow of a memory" reasons, but I can't recall the name on the tip of my thingy.

m

Social source share

Well, you picked up a great bargain there! I last remember seeing one on Manships for about 70 quid and that was a couple of years ago. I like both sides, but think I prefer I can't remember your name. Love it! Has it ever been played out?

It'll be played out at my next gig that's for sure :D

I think i'll play 'the sun came out', because that's my favorite side at the moment. Maybe as a closer or something, because it's a funk night, and i can already guess the frowns on some faces :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!