Frank Wilson found

Liamgp

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Listening to Pete Smith's wonderful Motown podcasts of mainly unissued tracks, it struck me that if Frank Wilson's track had not been 'issued', i.e. the stock 45s (6 copies?), and was genuinely dispatched to the vaults, what would the reaction to it appearing on a Cellar Full of Motown CD be like?

Obviously the history to it has boosted it's appeal, but if it been just another CD track, would it have been more popular than other CFOM tracks?

Social source share

Even Mr Wilson thought it was a weak record - not something he was very proud of (he was proudest of his work with Lenny Williams).

Dx

I agree with Frank.  The instrumental rambles all over the place, unlike most of the Detroit-produced Motown cuts that have solid structure.  His vocal was uneven, too.  I bought the record for the flip side, "Sweeter As The Days Go By", which sounds much more like a Gordon-Wilson song (like "I'm So Thankful").  To me, Frank Wilson's solo written songs all had no structure, and rambled all over the place.  I think that he needed Marc Gordon to rein in his wildness, and provide structure to his songs.  I absolutely HATED his solo songs on Power Records, "Bridge of Love", etc.  But, after working in Detroit, he became a better writer, and wrote a few very good songs on his own.  But, I really love some of the best Gordon-Wilson songs, like "You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet".  I'm still waiting for a Motown artist version (recorded in Detroit by The Funk Brothers) to be found in The Vaults.

Social source share

Just kidding folks..

pean1.thumb.gif.d3305ca9f3dedb3d738ca0c5

Ha! Ha!  Genius!  Absolute genius!  This is one of the very best comic strips I have EVER seen - and that's saying a lot, - as I have vast experience in that area, as a cartoonist, myself, who creates comic books and comic strips professionally, and have been doing that for more than 30 years..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!