CHARITY EVENTS - THE ACCEPTABLE GUIDE LINES

Tomangoes

There always seem to be lots of 'Charity Events' cropping up around the soul scene, and by enlarge they are most welcome, but what amount of the 'sales' should be given over to the charity?

There is obviously the ticket money and perhaps a % of the merchandise and / or food and drink that's sold.

Most DJ's would give there time up for free. Most venues would offer free rent, especially if they can sell alcohol.

So assuming MOST, or even ALL, of the takings are handed over, then it must surely be a genuine 'just for charity' event.

Would any organisers or promoters have the 'nerve' to market an event as 'charitable' but really make a great big profit for themselves?

What's an acceptable balance?

Ed

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Generally a front to be able to pocket a few quid and DJ at the same time(IMHO)

Welcome wholeheartedly any genuine fund raising events for good causes but Northern has become an easy target and platform for organisers to get plenty of praise and notoriety and in some cases....funds too  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Plenty of so called promoters have made profits for themselves on back of charity events.  Not only do they get a large profit the Dj's usually do the job for free and the room hire is usually discounted.  The charity usually sees very little if anything as the promoter lo and behold doesn't cover his or her costs.

I personally don't think they should be allowed to advertise as a charity event unless registered with the charity commission, aligned to a particular charity with correspondence to back it up and then once the event has taken place they post up a letter of thanks from the particular charity with the amount raised.  I wonder how many charit events would disappear?

HI CHALKY,

I agree in principal with your sentiments on this issue. A charity event advertised as such should be promoted by people who are registered and the only way to know exactly how much is raised at the event is for the said promoters to give figures of attendance, income from other avenues on the day and any incurred deductions which leaves a final figure for all to see.

A letter of thanks from the charity for which the event is being staged is most welcome but that will only give a figure of what the promoter hands over!. The honesty of anyone promoting a charity event is paramount and some "charity" events leave a lot to be desired. Many registered charities do incur expenses and as such the directors of that charity are entitled by law to deduct a percentage( I believe 10%) of the income  to cover costs. Is therefore safe to assume that not every charity event hands over all the monies raised from an event.

Charitable events are a different animal however. These are usually promoted as such where the promoter makes a donation to his/her particular choice of charity from an event they have organised in the charities name. No doubt there will be the usual deductions to cover any costs.

regards ROY 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think clarity is the key here - If you're running a charity event of any description, it's good to see how much was raised, where the costs were etc. If I was running a charity night I would certainly publish the costs , if nothing else than to dispel any rumours of wrong doings. If an event is handing over pretty close to 100% of the money raised, we should be celebrating that.

Des

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Pretty much the whole scene today is a 'Charity Event'. Lets be honest most public organisations would charge a lot more that £5 to look after a load of half pissed pensioners for 4-5 hours every week while they pretend to be 18 again...... and even provide them with a free CD of the evening in case they forget all those 20 records they've just tried to dance to..

Northern Soul - proof that care in the community works.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!