Don't talk to me about how much John Manship gets for records

Kegsy

Just goes to show - there were 9 bidders on this and a last 8 second snipe by a 3000 + activity buyer got it - HE / SHE won't be selling this on for a profit unless I'm mistaken.

Checked my big black book for historic ref; - found it to be too common back in the mid nineties to get a listing - £80 - Andy Dyson 

John Tefteller always turns up some tasty sounds - many set sale and reasonable - but obviously he read this one right

Frosty snr.

Social source share

Just goes to show - there were 9 bidders on this and a last 8 second snipe by a 3000 + activity buyer got it - HE / SHE won't be selling this on for a profit unless I'm mistaken.

Checked my big black book for historic ref; - found it to be too common back in the mid nineties to get a listing - £80 - Andy Dyson 

John Tefteller always turns up some tasty sounds - many set sale and reasonable - but obviously he read this one right

Frosty snr.

In the mid 70's there were copies around for a round a fiver, and in 1980 a let one go in a job lot of 70's at 50p each.

Yours (wiping away the tears) D.T. lol.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

I would totally agree with honourable member Chalky about "Dodgy dealings Going On "{ alledgely} I was a car dealer in 80s &90s,and regularly visited sites up and down the Uk. I became privvy to a process called "Off the wall" bidding where the auctioneer in cahouts with sellers would bounce complete fantasy bids to hype up the price in the rapid bidding process ,as a buyer this was undectectable and you really believed the bids where genuine! Just a thought,LOL Johnny

Social source share

Yes but, John Tefteller is known world wide as an expert on records from 1920-1970. He is a contributor to many re-issues of original Blues songs and known everywhere as THE man to go to for evaluation of rare Blues 78's and advertising material from the 1920's to the 1950's.

So there....

Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

By the way, I am not saying anything dodgy is going on with the bidding here, John Tefteller is a reliable trustworthy seller.  In this instance the buyer completely taken leave of senses.  There have been other auctions on ebay where it is pretty obvious all is not what it seems and the seller has little feedback or any kind of reputation.  I know a record to some degree is only worth what someone is willing to pay but come on, twice the previous going rate?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Yes but, John Tefteller is known world wide as an expert on records from 1920-1970. He is a contributor to many re-issues of original Blues songs and known everywhere as THE man to go to for evaluation of rare Blues 78's and advertising material from the 1920's to the 1950's.

So there....

Russ

True Russ, and having largely ignored 60's soul for years, John has embraced the selling of rare Northern big-time. Top dealer, top bloke and long may he keep bringing his wares to market.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thing is though.............and it's in my all time top ten favourite records.

If you are desperate to own it in mint condition, you either wait, and wait, and wait until one comes up for sale again, or you go for it. Time is running out for most of us, and the next copy could go for even more.

I think it's a fact that recently the big money has been going on the real quality records. Rarity alone isn't the major factor. Records of this caliber are as near to timeless as you can get.

The stuff that people are playing now at the so called upfront venues will never achieve the greatness that records like this have. I know they were played to death back in the day. But if you haven't heard them for a long time, then re visit them again, they totally blow you away.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that records of this caliber are always going to be in demand.

The cream will always rise to the top.

Certainly sobering to me. I bought the original off Colin Curtis when it got booted for the grand total of £2 in the mid 70s. I always considered this to be a super rare original and I certainly never saw many other copies up to 1976 and I've never found a copy since despite numerous U.S. visits. I don't think there's many around. As you say, it really doesn't get much better than this.

Ian D :) 

Social source share

My copy came from Stuart Brackenbridge (ex Mr M's the Soul Twins & a very nice fella) @ Wigan Tiffs one memorable night along with Yvonne Baker Issue!, Johnny Caswell Issue, Joe Mathews Issue a few years later sold the Eula Cooper to Rod Shard & Dave Withers only to buy it back 2 or 3 days later!! can't imagine parting with it again....

Social source share

could be a shills setup party ,who knows

I doubt JM would get involved in Shill bidding as it is criminal activity, he doesn't need the hassle from the authorities who may inquire into the auction site. I expect JM will have a list of people looking for specific records and when he has enough folk looking for the same tune he sticks one up for auction. With several wealthy or serious collectors looking for a record the bidding will have momentum, the rest as they say is history.

The link below explains the cost for shill bidding if the authorities find a business is at it.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2010/apr/20/ebay-seller-convicted-auction-fixing

Social source share

Cost and worth?

I heard the USA dj Honky had MIZZ COOPER sing this song at his wedding. Its all about 'who you know'!!

Now that would bring cost and worth upside down in my opinion as it probably cost next to nothing but was worth more than owning one of the 1000 copies or more, of the original disc that are surely in circulation.

Ed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!