brent

A time for Reflection Me The early years RIP Titch PART 2 ROY C

·

On a rainy Saturday evening in August 1972 myself and Titch were at a loss on what to do .

Having been at Va Vas on the Friday night .. We decided to stay local . Our first port of call was a Pint in the White Lion where I had arranged to meet a girl that I had met in Va Vas the previous night .

One of the most popular venues in Bolton was the NAVADA roller skating rink .. Where, on Saturdays it was a Dance Hall and often had live acts as well as a Bar up on the balcony

.Having met the girl who was a couple of years older than me , and had a better paid job.... Lol   We decided to try a night at the NAVADA to watch the Divs ..After about an hour or so of giving the Divs dancing lessons, the act of the evening was about to begin.

We started to migrate towards the stage in anticipation ..Suddenly there was the sound of a gunshot and the Voice Boomed out ". Ladies and Gentleman all the way from the USA Mr ROY C " And the band struck up Shotgun Wedding. With cheers and whistles from the audience..       

This was followed up by a rendition of the B. Side of the record .... Then to gasps of disbelief he once again sang shotgun wedding !! Not Once but FIVE FOOKING TIMES!!!! I remember saying to Titch by about the fourth time of Sw ...."I wish someone would shoot this feller"Finally

He finished his spot to the weakest applause and groans I had ever heard . I looked around and Titch was orchestrating a group of locals into shouting " Door" "Door" instead of the usual calls for MORE.      

Feeling downhearted I turned to the girl and asked if she had any money .. She nodded so I turned to Titch and asked if I could get Martyn Valentine to run us .. Did he fancy the Torch As this is shite here?      I rang Martyn from the phone box in the place and asked if the girl put the petrol into his Maroon Morris Oxford and paid us in did he fancy the Torch? To which he said I will be there in 20 min ... Martyn pulled up and we were off....    I can remember the girls screams as martyn drove down Lovers Lane in Atherton on Two Wheels as we headed towards the M6.... 

On the way we laughed at the events of the evening. As we entered the Torch I asked the girl if she wanted a badge ?? She said yes the coloured torch one .. So I asked her to lend me a quid and bought her a badge...    The nighter was in full swing. I remember the girl asking me who the silhouettes were that were painted on the back drop of the stage ?? And Titch answering her with Ray Charles Shaft and Huggy Bear........ Lol

We were talking to Dave Urmston and little Hank( Paul Curley) from Bolton as theTime for the live act approached !      Suddenly ! I looked at Titch and we both Froze in disbelief as a by now a very familiar Gunshot sounded out and the voice boomed " Ladies and Gentlemen... All the way from the USA .... Mr Roy C "!!!!!!

Not only had we suffered Roy C And Shotgun Wedding in Bolton .. Fook Me ! We had to suffer it six more times...............       

From that day to this ... I have never played my copy of Sw or allowed any of the kids to play it !!!!!

A night to forget lol

Regards and respect ..... B

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.