Motown Vault Insiders-Detroit vers of You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet?

Robbk

For Keith Hughes or any of The Motown Insiders:  Has anyone ever seen a listing or heard anything about a Motown produced, Detroit-recorded version of "You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet" sung by a Motown-signed artist?  During my Time perusing The Motown Vaults and Motown's paper documentation, I never came across any reference to such a recording.  I really wonder why, as even "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)", I'm So Thankful", "You Hit Me (Right Where It Hurts)", and "My Heart is Calling You".  And those songs were not nearly as good as  "Bitter Into Sweet" was.  I can't imagine why some Detroit producer at Motown didn't want to use it on one of his artists or groups.  With all the singles and all the album cuts that needed filling, and the 24 hours a day use of the recording studios, I can't understand why it wasn't recorded by at least one Motown-contracted act.

Does anyone have any ideas?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Interesting question Robb. Being a Jobete tune I thought it would have been a shoe-in for one of Motown's girl groups to put out. But I've never seen any B side, album track or acetate with YTMBIS on it. I don't know the full story around Mary, but I understand it was Motown producer Marc Gordon who introduced her to Modern Records when she was 17. Why not to Gordy and his group of labels ? If you have any info it would be appreciated.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Interesting question Robb. Being a Jobete tune I thought it would have been a shoe-in for one of Motown's girl groups to put out. But I've never seen any B side, album track or acetate with YTMBIS on it. I don't know the full story around Mary, but I understand it was Motown producer Marc Gordon who introduced her to Modern Records when she was 17. Why not to Gordy and his group of labels ? If you have any info it would be appreciated.

Of Marc Gordon and Hal Davis' regular female background singers for their Los Angeles Jobete Music office, only The Holloway Sisters were signed to Motown Records as recording artists.  Mary Love, Gloria Jones, Sandy Wynns (Edna Wright), and Pat Hunt were NOT signed and recorded (Mary and Gloria had to wait until when Motown moved to L.A.).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!