Rudy Love: UK Releases

Roburt

Rudy Love has enjoyed regular US releases that go all the way back to 1970 (Canyon, Earthquake, Calla, etc.). After his stint with major labels (which included a spell as a member of Sly Stone's group and a period with Motown in the 70's) he mainly had stuff out on his own labels but the releases did keep coming.  

Here in the UK he wasn't as lucky. Until his recent releases via Kent (a track on 45 + on a compilation CD), his only previous releases this side of the pond had been 2 LP's. The strange thing about both these albums was that the tracks they featured never actually escaped at all back in the US. 

The first of these two was the strange Manhattan Records (President) album credited to Brother Tyrone Davis (MAN 5034: 1980) which featured 10 tracks that Rudy & Company Soul cut for Canyon Records back in 1970. The second LP escaped here on the BBC Radioplay label which was a private release that the BBC pressed up to send out to their local radio stations around the UK. As such only a couple of hundred (?) of each of these LP's must have been pressed up. The 10 tracks featured on 'The Right Feeling' LP (TAIR85019: 1985) had been cut by Rudy for Terry Woodford / Clayton Ivey when they were running the Motown South operation out of Muscle Shoals   ....... https://www.discogs.com/Rudy-Love-The-Right-Feeling/release/5517898.  A lot of Motown artists had tracks featured by the BBC on these 'BBC Radioplay' albums at that time (4 Tops, Temptations, Miracles, Jnr Walker, R Dean Taylor, Shorty Long, Isley Brothers, Brenda Holloway, Elgins, Marvelettes, Mary Wells, Velvelettes, etc.), so some special arrangement must have existed between the BBC and Motown at the time (85/86).

Other tracks that must have originated from Motown were included on the various artists 'Ruler Of The Hunt' LP (TAIR 85006). These include 1 cut by Siedah Garrett, 2 by Phyllis St James and 4 from Gwen Owens (maybe also the ones by Alex Brown & Ada Dyer) ..........  https://www.discogs.com/Various-Ruler-Of-The-Hunt/release/5610427  The Gwen Owens tracks on this LP must also have originated from Motown's deal with Woodford & Ivey.

Anyone here got either LP  ('The Right Feeling' ; 'Ruler Of The Hunt') or has heard any of the 'otherwise unissued' tracks off these two BBC albums and can tell us if there are any gud uns amongst them. 

RudyLove.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Rudy's brother Bob Love gave me this info on Rudy's work with Woodford / Ivey ..............

"Those tracks originated when Rudy was doing pilot vocals for the Muscle Shoals Studio in Muscle Shoals Alabama. Rudy was given the task of recording one song after another written by various songwriters on the staff of the studio.  Rudy recorded almost 48 hours straight, one song after another with just the lyrics in his hand and never having seen or heard the songs before. This was an amazing time for him. I was asked to help produce it because I knew Rudy`s voice so well. These were songs that they were specifically targeting certain artists. Everyone there was amazed at how they were coming out so they thrust one after another in front of Rudy. These sides plus a few more that aren`t on the UK album are incredible. Muscle Shoals Studio was owned by Terry Woodford and Clayton Ivey. That is where we recorded the 'This Song Is For You' album also. This studio was sometime called Motown South because they supplied some of the songs for other artists and they would record them there in a small town way away from the bright lights. Frank DiLeo who was Michael Jacksons manager at the time they bought the publishing writes to many a song and one of my songs titled Body Caress was among them. So these sides eventually turned up on that BBC album.'

The album by Rudy ('This Song Is For You') was released on Calla in 1978. A track off the album .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I47OxIeHGk

Terry Woodford & Clayton Ivey's Muscle Shoals studio was known as Wishbone Recording Studios and was opened in 1976. The likes of Garland Green, Ann Sexton, Bill Brandon, Hot, Rudy Love, Millie Jackson and the Temptations cut tracks there. Bottom & Company (1976) and Reuben Howell's Motown albums (1973/74) plus cuts by Thelma Houston were cut for Woodford & Ivey's Wishbone Inc. in Muscle Shoals but I guess most were recorded in another Shoals Studio (Muscle Shoals Sound ?). "Scatchin" credited to Motown Disco Machine was probably also cut in the same studio.

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks for that Roburt.  An interesting read. 

I picked up a copy of the Brother Tyrone Davis album back in the early 90's  and clearly it is not Tyrone Davis and always wondered who it was.  Not played it for years but remember a couple of up tempo tracks I used to play out back in the day.  I never saw the Doris Duke and friends album that must have come out around the same time.  I suspect both must be quite rare.

Interestingly, at the end of the 90's a friend was working at the BBC at their Oxford Road site in Manchester.  I was able to acquire a stack of the BBC radio play albums.  The beeb were ditching vinyl completely and had a few record sales to members of staff, proceeds to charity!

I never came across the Rudy Love radio play album or the other one you mention.  As you point out Motown acts were well represented.  In the main the albums contained well know hits, however, I do have one by the Detroit Spinners with a slightly alternative take of "what more can a boy ask for".  This must have had a radio play release before the "from the vaults" release where I first heard it.  These albums are not particularly attractive design wise but are intriguing as I'm not sure of their purpose, given that they were produced in the mid-80's and certainly did not reflect the BBC play list.

There was an earlier radio play design different to the one shown above.  Bizarrely I have a Black Ice album on this earlier design.  I have no idea why the BBC would have needed a Black Ice album on their own label and would be surprised if anyone had any idea what it was or played a track of it.

Regards - Alan

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I got in touch with Gwen Owens and she confirmed that the 4 tracks by her included on the 'Ruler Of The Hunt' LP were cut for Woodford / Ivey's Wishbone Inc.

Terry Woodford tells me that not all of the tracks (Rudy Love; Gwen Owens) were 'owned' by Motown but that he himself gave the BBC permission to include some of the cuts on these LP's. 

So it seems that some must have been released with Motown's permission and some with Terry Woodford's OK.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine has the Brother Tyrone Davis album and we've tried to find out for years who it was (knowing it wasn't the man himself). I've also got the Rudy Love single 'This Song Is For You', a beautiful recording but would never have put the two together. Thanks so much for resolving this mystery which has driven me mad. As a matter of interest, what would the album be worth?

Chris

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Rudy Love continues in the music biz & a documentary crew teamed up with him over 2 years back to document his career and the many diverse things that have happened to him since he kicked off in the industry in the 60's. He's had his ups & downs, spent time supporting other band leaders (Sly Stone), cut tracks as himself for release and numerous tracks as demo's to help sell his songs to other artists .... anyway, the documentary is just about complete, the final cut is just being finished off. 

The team undertaking the project have been quite thorough and so it has taken time to get all the interviews they wanted .... included in the documentary are contributions from the likes of Mick Fleetwood, Norman Jay, James Gadson, Clayton Ivey and more. There's also footage in there of Rudy's dad (Bob Love of Don & Bob on Chess Records -- "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl", the song the Yardbird made famous over here in the UK).

Not long to wait now until it should be available to watch ... some stills from the documentary .....

RudyLoveDocmntryMont.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Roburt said:

Rudy Love continues in the music biz & a documentary crew teamed up with him over 2 years back to document his career and the many diverse things that have happened to him since he kicked off in the industry in the 60's. He's had his ups & downs, spent time supporting other band leaders (Sly Stone), cut tracks as himself for release and numerous tracks as demo's to help sell his songs to other artists .... anyway, the documentary is just about complete, the final cut is just being finished off. 

The team undertaking the project have been quite thorough and so it has taken time to get all the interviews they wanted .... included in the documentary are contributions from the likes of Mick Fleetwood, Norman Jay, James Gadson, Clayton Ivey and more. There's also footage in there of Rudy's dad (Bob Love of Don & Bob on Chess Records -- "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl", the song the Yardbird made famous over here in the UK).

Not long to wait now until it should be available to watch ... some stills from the documentary .....

RudyLoveDocmntryMont.jpg

Excellent stuff, Rudy Love's name just needs to be edited out of the stills and draged over the fellow below, as that fellow at the top is Norman Jay.

Social source share

The Rudy Love name is attached to the entry above it & to the left of it ... i.e. it's his name as shown on the BBC RadioPlay LP 'The Right Feeling' ... so it doesn't need to be dragged anywhere. I know the picture is of Norman Jay as I made up the montage of stills from the film. 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Roburt said:

The Rudy Love name is attached to the entry above it & to the left of it ... i.e. it's his name as shown on the BBC RadioPlay LP 'The Right Feeling' ... so it doesn't need to be dragged anywhere. I know the picture is of Norman Jay as I made up the montage of stills from the film. 

Ok, just thought it may confuse others who did not actually know. The posts are for the use and benefit of folks reading the thread not the person who compiled it.

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Roburt said:

I take your point so I've made a minor adjustment to the pic. Rudy is actually the guy at the bottom of the picture, seated talking with Clayton Ivey.

ALSO, James Gadson really should get a better wig.

As I previously mentioned, excellent stuff with many facts I was not aware of. Just felt it was a tad unfair, as in my opinion Rudy Love has somewhat more talent than Mr Jay! and I agree about the wig, he has more than enough respect from soul fans to need one of them.

Social source share

On 19 October 2015 at 11:56, Darkes said:

Thanks for that Roburt.  An interesting read. 

I picked up a copy of the Brother Tyrone Davis album back in the early 90's  and clearly it is not Tyrone Davis and always wondered who it was.  Not played it for years but remember a couple of up tempo tracks I used to play out back in the day.  I never saw the Doris Duke and friends album that must have come out around the same time.  I suspect both must be quite rare.

Interestingly, at the end of the 90's a friend was working at the BBC at their Oxford Road site in Manchester.  I was able to acquire a stack of the BBC radio play albums.  The beeb were ditching vinyl completely and had a few record sales to members of staff, proceeds to charity!

I never came across the Rudy Love radio play album or the other one you mention.  As you point out Motown acts were well represented.  In the main the albums contained well know hits, however, I do have one by the Detroit Spinners with a slightly alternative take of "what more can a boy ask for".  This must have had a radio play release before the "from the vaults" release where I first heard it.  These albums are not particularly attractive design wise but are intriguing as I'm not sure of their purpose, given that they were produced in the mid-80's and certainly did not reflect the BBC play list.

There was an earlier radio play design different to the one shown above.  Bizarrely I have a Black Ice album on this earlier design.  I have no idea why the BBC would have needed a Black Ice album on their own label and would be surprised if anyone had any idea what it was or played a track of it.

Regards - Alan

Mr Darker - hope your well, surprised you never picked up the Doris Duke & friends LP when it was a stock item at Expansions records when situated on Corporation Street in Manchester, distinctly recall Richard plugging it for a tenner in the 90's when I acquired my copy.

That specific album did feature Tyrone Davies " Running a losing game" that came out on Sack has did the the Mamie P Galore " No Right to Cry" neither appeared to have any connection with Doris Duke?.

I too have a few of the BBC radioplay Motown albums featuring from memory Syreeta and Brenda Holloway these were rescued from a BBC station in Shropshire who ditched their entire record library.

BTW looking forward to the Rudy Love documentary 👍👍

Paul

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 19/10/2015 at 11:56, Darkes said:

I

All in John Lias' 'A History of The Soul LP' volume 2.

Edited by Firecrest
Social source share

@Roburt I'm always impressed by the level of detail you go into and this thread made me realise having just checked out his discography, that I don't have the Rudy Love 1978 LP. Thanks, Martin

Social source share

Ady, I'd guess Cliff Steele would be the right guy to ask as HOUSEWIFE BLUES is a fave of his. I think I only have the F&F 45 and not the Calla released versions. I do know that the 2 versions are completely different in length (time wise). The LoveF&F version is around 75 secs longer (is there a Calla 12" mix of this side too ?). Don't know if the 7" time differences were just achieved by editing the Love F&F version down or if yet more changes were made to the original version. 

The A side of the 45 ("Does Your Mama Know") comes in 3 versions; Love F&F 45 (3m 30sec), Calla 45 (2m 59sec) & Calla 12" mix (5m 18sec). Strangely, the later Calla LP version (put out in 76), is the same length as the Love F&F version.

BTW, I have digital copies of all the Muscle Shoals (Wishbone) cuts that were included on Rudy's BBC Radioplay album. Although these were cut in the 'disco era', a few of them are really good soul tracks.

RudyLoveAcetate.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

On 03/01/2019 at 08:27, Roburt said:

Ady, I'd guess Cliff Steele would be the right guy to ask as HOUSEWIFE BLUES is a fave of his. I think I only have the F&F 45 and not the Calla released versions. I do know that the 2 versions are completely different in length (time wise). The LoveF&F version is around 75 secs longer (is there a Calla 12" mix of this side too ?). Don't know if the 7" time differences were just achieved by editing the Love F&F version down or if yet more changes were made to the original version. 

The A side of the 45 ("Does Your Mama Know") comes in 3 versions; Love F&F 45 (3m 30sec), Calla 45 (2m 59sec) & Calla 12" mix (5m 18sec). Strangely, the later Calla LP version (put out in 76), is the same length as the Love F&F version.

BTW, I have digital copies of all the Muscle Shoals (Wishbone) cuts that were included on Rudy's BBC Radioplay album. Although these were cut in the 'disco era', a few of them are really good soul tracks.

RudyLoveAcetate.jpg

Thanks John, I'll pester Cliff for an MP3

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!