Valentino "i Was Born This Way"

Sunnysoul

What's the story on this ?

Was it ever a big player on the rare soul scene ? If so , when , where, who played it etc

Was the first original US label "Gaiee" ?

Did it ever make the UK charts as a pop chart revival ?

Was there ever an alternative version using the same backing track ? Using straight lyrics ?!!!

Where recorded ? Philly ? But licensed by Motown ?

What happened to old Valentino ?

I remember reading something on this record in my old archives of 70's Blues & Soul issues but couldn't be bothered to dig it out ...

Question, questions ............. :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

What's the story on this ?

Was it ever a big player on the rare soul scene ? If so , when , where, who played it etc

Did it ever make the UK charts as a pop chart revival ?

Was there ever an alternative version using the same backing track ? Using straight lyrics ?!!!

Where recorded ? Philly ? But licensed by Motown ?

What happened to old Valentino ?

I remember reading something on this record in my old archives of 70's Blues & Soul issues but couldn't be bothered to dig it out ...

Question, questions ............. :thumbsup:

Minor play for a short while, yes, it was on Gaiee. The other version was by Carl Bean on Ten/Virgin if I remember rightly.

Hippo.

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

G'day Sunnysoul, I can remember Dave Evison playing Valentino at Wigan Saterday nights 79/80. Also remember Dave Godin raving about it in B&S seem to think he claimed it was the first gay record.Think that acolade must go to South Shore Commision "Free Man" myself, tho" must admit didn"t know it at the time. Always danced to Valentino, got a nice US 45 with the lyrics printed on the (red) sleeve, cheers Ken, great record I reckon.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

G'day Sunnysoul, I can remember Dave Evison playing Valentino at Wigan Saterday nights 79/80. Also remember Dave Godin raving about it in B&S seem to think he claimed it was the first gay record.Think that acolade must go to South Shore Commision "Free Man" myself, tho" must admit didn"t know it at the time. Always danced to Valentino, got a nice US 45 with the lyrics printed on the (red) sleeve, cheers Ken, great record I reckon.

Cheers Paul

Your welcome........... :thumbsup:

Social source share

I remember this record from Wigan days but a lot earlier - I seem to recall hearing ( and buying a copy and playing it out ) before leaving North Wales in Dec 74 ?

The copy i have now is dated 1975 ? on Gaiee - could be a boot though as its been in my loft for donkeys years

Also have the Carl bean on one of the Motown labels but I think the Valentino is more heart wrenching in emotion vocally for me anyway

Cheers

Wulfie

Social source share

I remember this record from Wigan days but a lot earlier - I seem to recall hearing ( and buying a copy and playing it out ) before leaving North Wales in Dec 74 ?

The copy i have now is dated 1975 ? on Gaiee - could be a boot though as its been in my loft for donkeys years

Wulfie, as far as I know it was never bootleged, did get a UK release tho'.

My copy is '75

Cheers Paul

Social source share

• 3 months later...

my dear hippo..

the carl bean version was on motown..usa and uk..

the carl bean was more philly than valentino's..

bless

jc

the messiah of northern soul

Ha...thanks to harpo for restarting this thread, I meant to post this a while back...

BEAN, CARL - I WAS BORN THIS WAY. 1985 TEN RECORDS 110 DEMO

...knew I'd got a 12" demo of it somewhere - the memory isn't quite shot yet!

Hippo.

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!