Is collecting rare soul vinyl an investment

Stateside

Although there are collectors all over the world, it still seems that there are lot more in the UK than anywhere else. At least, that's the impression I get when I sell records on sites like Discogs and eBay. When I sell soul 45s, most of them go to buyers in the UK. And I'm not sure that we will see a boom in new collectors that can match the numbers of collectors that are in the UK today.

I'm finding it different to that. 10 years ago the majority of my sales were within the UK but now it's more evenly spaced over the UK, Germany, Spain, Scandinavian Countries, USA and Japan. However, I'm not just selling Northern Soul, but also 70's crossover and funk etc, so that may have a bearing on it.

I think the prices on vinyl will hold for some time but those people who spent their hard earned cash on beer towels, mugs, coasters etc may see little return :lol:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 1 year later...

just as a postcript...

Gwen Owens -Just Say You're Wanted ( And Needed ) / Still True To You

John Manship (sold)                        2007                       2017                       Diff

Assume similar condition                   £3,516                   £4,250                   +£734

Savings account invest                   £3,516                   -

Savings account withdraw            -                              £4,589                   +£1,073

Standard & not adjusting for inflation

From 2007 to 2017 the average savings interest rate (crudely) would be 2.07%. It started 2007 at 5.5%  and by 2016 was 1.23%

I'd sooner have had the record for 10yrs OR i could have saved for 10yrs and bought it last week on JM, and still had change.

By comparison though;

1 Bit Coin                                             2009                       2017 (Sept)

£20                         £746,000 (yup...£746K)

Social source share

that is a good question Benji. and i don't now know. You are correct.

I do think it was about $5,000 in Sept 2017 [£3,800], ( although it did go up and down like a yo-yo in Sept 2017).

I can only think that my math got in the way and i multiplied it or something.  Either way... you get my drift. 1 BC =[$1] Feb 2011 – April 2011, could have been worth $6.180[£4,707) on 21st Oct 2017.

Social source share

I think that the bottom will fall out of the Northern Souk 45 market, just as it has in the Doo Wop market, as the old-time collectors reach very old age and die off.  On that "scene" only a few people are left, and most records that used to sell in the thousands of Dollars now go for just a couple hundred IF sellers can find a buyer.  Records that used to sell in the hundreds are now $5.  Maybe this effect will tale longer with Northern Soul because of the young foreign markets.  But it will happen eventually.

Social source share

Presumably the question refers to buying records as a financial investment. Most of us probably regard the gathering of records as an entertainment investment, something to listen to for pleasure. If a record appreciates in value over time, so much the better, especially if it is no longer wanted and can be sold for a profit. Now, if several collectors decide to move discs on by selling for financial gain, the market becomes overloaded. Too many records are currently hitting the market at sky-high prices and not selling - expect prices for expensive items to fall in the months ahead as UK sellers cash in but in the face of growing competition.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!