• Replies 80
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

too right Headsy.

Hopefully more of the same on Friday.

I know the Pincer twins and I have not seen them at the Wilton for a long time.

Shane

link

<>

That's how I remember it. Been a while since I've been, glad to hear it's not changed musically.

<>

Could have got the venue mixed up....

I'll give em a ring, find out where they were on about..

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Spoke to the Pinches twins last Sun.

Told me that the last Wilton all nighter was 90% R&B.

Which was a disapointment to me because they used to get a selection of DJ's there playing totally "across the board" (I hate using that phrase, but couldn't think of owt better off the cuff).

link

Deffo not the Wilton I went to!!

Funnily enough, two people I know turned up at the last Wilton, after never been before because they were told it was all 'modern'!

Last Wilton was excellent, hardly 10% R&B, maybe they got their % wrong!

Anyhow, this one will be as previously said, "midtempo heaven" at least if I have anything to do with it, which fortunatly, I have ph34r.gif Shane, will play the Roddie Joy for you, came today, thanks for the initial info, and Soulie78 for the choon! :wicked:

PS

initial ideas for some plays on friday:

Gerri Diamond-"only you" -Counterpoint

Rosebuds-"Say you'll be mine"-Tower

VIP's -"Strange little girl"-Congress

Ron & Embracers-"You came into my heart"-Spectrum

Seashells-"Quiet home"-Village

Roddie Joy-"He's so easy to love"-Red Bird

Harry Deal & Galaxies-"I still love you"-Eclipse

Betty Logan-"A lot to learn"-Gaye

Bee-Jays-"I'll find you"-Prime

Belita Woods-"Magic corner"-Moira

Ernie Marbray-"Ain't nobodys buisness"-Wee

Pick the R&B outa that lot!!!

See ya all Friday ph34r.gif

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

I was thinking that myself. HArdly any R&B. I was getting disallusioned with alol the R&B being played at the Wilton so much I didn't want to got there. The last one was great IMO. Didn't see thye twins at the last Wilton.

BTW is that Derek Greenoff????? If so how ya doing, long time no see ph34r.gif

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Biggie G

Must be a bit odd as I feel equally at home in an RnB room or a Modern Room. That's why I would probably prefer to do somewhere like Prestatyn next year as I can have the best of both worlds.

Though having said all that I spent the whole weekend in the Tent at Fleetwood in crossover heaven.

Biggie G

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

R&B? - Hopefully not.

That absolutely awful crap funerary dirge shite some people are calling R&B that has been hitting turntables at the more Moddy events for the past couple of years and is slowly taking over and killing off the proper stuff like a deadly virus? - Oh say it's so!

The problem with the latter crap is that people are being put off going to events that have R&B on the flyer because there's no way of telling what you're going to get.

I'm sure a lot of people think the last thing we need is more categories for our music genres, but I think in this case it's vital.

Perhaps 'Soulful R&B' for the likes of Patience and Johnny Sayles

and

Maybe just 'B' for the other stuff cos I'm buggered if there's any rhythm to it.

Don't get me ranting - just keep the bloody Ted music away from my tender ears.

Social source share

Hottest sound in the South (and whenever I've played it in the North) is Luther Ingram's 'Oh Baby Don't You Weep' but as Tim Brown says Wilson Pickett's LP version is better, we've probably got it wrong again.

link

Fred Bridges version is by far the best of the lot....and trust Mr Willingham to go and find a copy before me!!!!

R&B is still well popular....and the cream of the crop will always float to the top and break onto the Northern Scene

Mace.

Social source share

Fred Bridges version is by far the best of the lot....and trust Mr Willingham to go and find a copy before me!!!!

R&B is still well popular....and the cream of the crop will always float to the top and break onto the Northern Scene

Mace.

link

I heard him play this recently, didn't know the singer so went up and asked him, lovely version of a fantastic song whoever is singing it IMO

Karen

Social source share

I thankyou Mr Dog, I have friends who say they hate R&B yet jump up and dance to the tracks you have mentioned.Also how on earth does anyone think Dean Barlow is R&B ????? I get sick of people saying it is.

link

Dean Barlow is a Belgium popcorn sound..deffo not R&B.

Mace

Social source share

And while were slagging R&B records off.... Barbara Dane isnt R&B either.... its jazzzz.....

And it packs many a Northern dancefloor...

WOOF!

link

Actually I'd say it was more Gospel than Jazz.....though she did record a more Jazzy version on another label (Capitol I think)

Mace

Social source share

Rowly,

I started the thread and interject along the way. It certainly aint happening at Fleetwood, Stoke and a few others we promote. I merely wondered if it was 'off the boil' . Maybe you could enlighten us to where it is cooking and how many are actually dancing?

link

It certainly is happening in Stoke....just maybe not Kings Hall.

I regularly DJ at most of the Northern Soul venues in Stoke and North Staffs and South Cheshire area and R&B still has a great impact on the dancefloor.

As Dave Rimmer said, it's about quality not quantity - it ain't all good, and only a small percentage will become poular to the Northern crowd, but it is still happening all the same.

Mace

Social source share

I was thinking that myself.  HArdly any R&B.  I was getting disallusioned with alol the R&B being played at the Wilton so much I didn't want to got there.  The last one was great IMO.  Didn't see thye twins at the last Wilton.

BTW is that Derek Greenoff?????  If so how ya doing, long time no see  :wicked:

link

no mate. I haven't seen Derek G. for years myself.

Had heard rumors he'd not been well. Then heard he'd started collecting vinyl again...

remember the Portcullis Barnsley.......

I always associate him with that club.

Social source share

A very similar question was posed someplace else thisevening... so I will relay my retort from whence that came....

It is far from over. With every fashion that enters the media there hangers on and those that follow the hangers on... people are fickle, you will always have that core base of individuals that live, breath and eat the genre - spreading their thoughts and enthusiasm. They will pick people up along the way that will drift in and out but amongst those drifters will be a prodigy that will keep the genre alive.

After all, it gains no reputation from the humdrum of normal advertising so for those that are caught up in it, it is purely because of a real feeling and a real calling. Much like any hobby I guess.

I talk incessantly about soul like some stupid bitch stuck in some stupid world, with my audience looking at me with a slight aversion in their gaze... who cares! They know how passionate I am, and appreciate my eclectic outlook where music is concerned. They are more than accepting of my travelling needs to feed my expectations and actually very much look forward to my ramblings afterwards.

I was once called a Nauseating Bimbo on soulsource, and that the soul scene was a better place without me - I offer no argument against that except that I applaud soul without boundaries and without bollox. A nauseating bimbo I might be, but at least I am shouting our cause from every rooftop I have the privilege to shout from.

I am sure my enthusiasm and excitement bleeds into their life a little and for that I am glad. Several non-soul visitors who have attended events because I advertised them have said they thoroughly enjoyed themselves - it's just not the same calling we experience I guess.

People take the piss and complain about KFC broadcasting certain soul tracks. For me, I found that quite a turn on - hopeful it would create a furore amongst the record buying public and evoke a different stroke. And yes, I think it did - albeit briefly.

After all, how many hardened collectors here really, I mean really, want this genre to hit the big time. Not many I bet. Me? I want to convert the whole world. I have achieved part of that goal with my 9 year old Daughter but failed with my 13 year old Son... it's personal. Can't do more than I do.

This applies and should appease sou, R&B, moder, crossover, northern soul, big band, jazz, big band jazz, jazz soul, big band soul... oh god, you know what I mean.

Social source share

After all, how many hardened collectors here really, I mean really, want this genre to hit the big time. Not many I bet. Me? I want to convert the whole world. I have achieved part of that goal with my 9 year old Daughter but failed with my 13 year old Son... it's personal. Can't do more than I do.

This applies and should appease sou, R&B, moder, crossover, northern soul, big band, jazz, big band jazz, jazz soul, big band soul... oh god, you know what I mean.

link

Social source share

RnB Dead??

Should have been at the last Flipside at about 4am!!! RnB that grabbed you by the bollocks and twisted :wicked: .

The mighty Hoss and all, dancing around behind the decks seeing who could play the hardest, dirtiest rawest RnB thumbsup.gif ....i think i've just spat mi' fat!

What makes RnB for me is a smallish venue (No £ to be made there then Kev :diablo: ), filthy breaks and up tempo mayhem. Okay a few beautifully sung mid-tempo tunes to save you from heart failure.

What makes a Northern Soul venue for me is a huge room, pounding with beats going right through your body and sweet voices that take you somewhere else.

There has to be a mixing somewhere, a that's why the right RnB played dropped into a Northern doo usually gets people up and dancing.

Up and mid-tempo RnB with that double time feel that makes dancing to it so fucking great (tissue, someone, quick...).

I agree with some of the comments about slow, sickly sweet sounding RnB (or is it?), an hour of that is too much for me...i'm off to the Northern or Modern Room when that happens, but the odd tune to open my ears and my mind, bring it on, it won't throw a tantrum, just reminds me of tea with my Aunty Flo and Uncle Bill.

Social source share

RnB Dead??

Should have been at the last Flipside at about 4am!!!  RnB that grabbed you by the bollocks and twisted  :wicked:

The mighty Hoss and all, dancing around behind the decks seeing who could play the hardest, dirtiest rawest RnB  thumbsup.gif ....i think i've just spat mi' fat!

What makes RnB for me is a smallish venue (No £ to be made there then Kev  :diablo: ), filthy breaks and up tempo mayhem.  Okay a few beautifully sung mid-tempo tunes to save you from heart failure.

link

Glad you enjoyed it.....

One piece of positive feedback like this makes it all worth the effort.

I hope nobody minds if I use this quote for our website when it is updated....

www.flipsideclub.co.uk

WOOF!

Social source share

fleeting thought

hear  a bad northern set and its the dj to blame

hear a bad rnb set  and its the music to blame

happens

link

True... but ultimately the DJ is to blame if the music played is crap....

(Requests aside that is...... but if you think its crap it shouldnt be in your playbox whether its popular or not..... you should believe in what youre playing....)

WOOF!

Social source share

A very similar question was posed someplace else thisevening... so I will relay my retort from whence that came....

It is far from over. With every fashion that enters the media there hangers on and those that follow the hangers on... people are fickle, you will always have that core base of individuals that live, breath and eat the genre - spreading their thoughts and enthusiasm. They will pick people up along the way that will drift in and out but amongst those drifters will be a prodigy that will keep the genre alive.

After all, it gains no reputation from the humdrum of normal advertising so for those that are caught up in it, it is purely because of a real feeling and a real calling. Much like any hobby I guess.

I talk incessantly about soul like some stupid bitch stuck in some stupid world, with my audience looking at me with a slight aversion in their gaze... who cares! They know how passionate I am, and appreciate my eclectic outlook where music is concerned. They are more than accepting of my travelling needs to feed my expectations and actually very much look forward to my ramblings afterwards.

I was once called a Nauseating Bimbo on soulsource, and that the soul scene was a better place without me - I offer no argument against that except that I applaud soul without boundaries and without bollox. A nauseating bimbo I might be, but at least I am shouting our cause from every rooftop I have the privilege to shout from.

I am sure my enthusiasm and excitement bleeds into their life a little and for that I am glad. Several non-soul visitors who have attended events because I advertised them have said they thoroughly enjoyed themselves - it's just not the same calling we experience I guess.

People take the piss and complain about KFC broadcasting certain soul tracks. For me, I found that quite a turn on - hopeful it would create a furore amongst the record buying public and evoke a different stroke. And yes, I think it did - albeit briefly.

link

I rest my case

Edited by Soulgirl
Social source share

Hottest sound in the South (and whenever I've played it in the North) is Luther Ingram's 'Oh Baby Don't You Weep' but as Tim Brown says Wilson Pickett's LP version is better, we've probably got it wrong again.

link

Both great versions...Another track off that album..Peace Breaker..fantastic track and i think its album only..I have been playing it for years now and it still sounds great...

Social source share

Harry Deal & Galaxies-"I still love you"-Eclipse

See ya all Friday ph34r.gif

link

Hi Trevski,

I've picked a copy up for the 'I Still Love You' side, but flipped it over and 'You're Always In My Mind' is for me, just as good.

Mmmmmid tempo heaven.....

Think it's gonna get a play at the next Soulsville.

Great selection, hope I can get there to hear it mate.

Jamie :D

Social source share

:diablo: Too bloody right Ady! You've still not released it yet and this despite my grovelling and pleading :angry: I bet you Tim would have released it- nah nah nah nah nah!!! :lol:

link

Why should Adey do so ? You can get the official 45 release by Fred Bridges on Versatile records (if you see it). Tim has since his last visit at my humble home my old Wilson Pickett German 45, so he doesn`t need to play the odd LP anymore :lol:

Social source share

Why should Adey do so ? You can get the official 45 release by Fred Bridges on Versatile records (if you see it). Tim has since his last visit at my humble home my old Wilson Pickett German 45, so he doesn`t need to play the odd LP anymore  :lol:

link

What???

You gave that away, I hope you've got it two times. And now please answer my question at "European Soul Scene".

Cheers, Martin

Social source share

Replies

Firstly FLIPSIDE nights last month was my first time for this event........Brilliant Hoss Rocked.... As Ben said.................... and Carl Willingham as ever he blew the roof off..so Sherdians flidside nights are a Go Go Go for anyone who wants to open their ears to brilliant music. great danceable, soulful, R&B.

As for Dean barlow some one said it was popcorn UTTER CRAP... as is the record

read below a conversation I had with Headsy some time ago

Years ago when I was manager of the compass club whitley Bay (remember that) I had to have different nights to make ends meet so Tuesday night was "Rock and roll" night (only coz the gereatric teddy boys got kicked out of the high point hotel and I needed to fill a dead night)

We had a live Band (the "wild cats" who had a lead guitarist of none other than, Hilton Valintine, ex lead guitar of the Animals) the band was actually very good.............................

..............and a DJ spot for the break and at the end.

The DJ was a real wanker and he kept playing this god awful record that the rockers used to go wild over.

One bloke, a record collector, used to gush "great sound this" as the said tune was pounded week after week until I was fit to snap the fucking thing.

Years later after not hearing this rock and roll R&B tune I go to a northern do and nearly jumped on the stage and throttled the DJ for playing that tune that haunted me for so long it is......... DEAN BARLOW THIRD WANKER FROM THE RIGHT

I WAS TOLD "BIG NORTHERN SOUND, ADY CROASDALE FOUND THIS" (dont know if thats true) AND ITS ON HIS KENT ALBUMS, (MUST BE SOUL THEN EH...no offence meant Ady )

God Give me strength are a lot of the sounds crossing over from the R&R into our music scene ?...certainly some ive heard recently seem so

(watch out for the incoming Geeoordie)

Geeooordie :lol:

Social source share

I WAS TOLD "BIG NORTHERN SOUND, ADY CROASDALE FOUND THIS" (dont know if thats true) AND ITS ON HIS KENT ALBUMS, (MUST BE SOUL THEN EH...no offence meant Ady )

I've never had it and can't remember which one it is. It's not on any Kent CDs and there are no plans for it to be.

There's some right arses out there who claim what we play at the 100 Club is R&B. I doubt if we ever play more than 10% R&B even when Roger's guesting once every 2 years (he did 30 mins this time his second set was soul). I play 1-3 records and Mick and Butch play bugger all. It seems that if it's not a recognisable oldie it's R&B whereas the Magicians, Nancy Wilcox, Peanuts, Thelma Jones, Devonnes, Martha Starr, Pretenders/Larks etc are anything but.

Don't believe the rumours, come and listen for yourself, we don't bite.

Social source share

Chalky

Derek Greenhoff is just round the corner from me I see him two or three times a month.

Hes in good health his record collection is getting healthy again

and I'll pass on your best

Geeooordie :lol:

link

Cheers Geordie. Used to spend many a good weekend in Barnsley with the Mighty Bub, Derek, Snoz, Tony Fell, Tubby, Andy & Lesley Oxley and loads more.

Was a resident DJ for the last couple of years or so at the Tracky Club with Bub and Derek. Good times :lol: Not been back up there for some time except for funerals :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!