Another BBC Radioplay Album - General Johnson Tracks

Roburt

In the Rudy Love thread, I made mention of 2 BBC Radioplay LP's from 1985. 

Here I'm dealing with a 3rd of these 'internal-use' BBC releases. This one dates back to 1986 and features 6 tracks by General Johnson (+ 5 by Johnny Guitar Watson). The 'Gangsters Of Love' album (TAIR86014) has the following General Johnson tracks on it .......    All In The Family, Carolina Girls, Down At The Beach Club, Fool Am I, Only Love Can Mend A Broken Heart & We The People. Three of these cuts date back to the mid 70's and originally came out on Arista whilst three date from the 80's and were put out by Surfside Records in the US. The Johnny Guitar Watson tracks (all 70's releases originally) were cut for DJM. 

It seems strange to me that tracks from 3 different source labels should be packaged together on this BBC release. Anyone have any idea of the process the BBC staffers would have gone through to set up the licensing of these tracks ?

BBCRdoplyGenJohnson.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I have a few of the Motown radioplay albums and was surprised to find a different mix of Brenda Holloway - Just look what you've done. Has anyone found that any of the other albums have different mixes of songs. I wonder who compiled them, as they include a lot of lesser known tracks.

Kev

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Seems that an auction house in Stockport is selling a box of 47 different BBC Radioplay LP's towards the end of this month (29th/30th Nov).  

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/omega-auctions/catalogue-id-srom10031/lot-a032d4c4-7a06-4aa2-abf8-a43b0116c9f4

Their web site doesn't list what the individual LP's are but the front one in the box is titled 'Living For The City' so may contain Stevie Wonder 70's tracks. I'd guess that some of the albums in the box will contain soul cuts and it may be worth locally based 'Soul Sourcers' looking in at the auction house ahead of the sale to check out just what is in that box.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!