Ken Knox & Company - Reach Out 2 Me

Ex Chairman of The Board. I am/was doing an article about Ken for Ken.  He's extremely active and haven't heard from him for a while. 

Yep. I just bumped into an old mate I haven't seen for 30 odd years - Disco Gary who now runs a label called Disco Soul Gold and who is digging up some great stuff. He played me some of his forthcoming releases and there's some real beauties coming up. It struck me that quite a bit of his stuff falls into our areas and he's chasing down some interesting stuff.....

One of his biggest just recently is this GREAT tune which Mark R recommended on the new tunes thread a few months back.....the guy's doing some great work......this production is just fantastic.....

Oka Onabule - Soul Town

Ian D :)

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Immaculte,smooth and beautifully arranged soul, Very tastey indeed { change the name Ken Knox & company sounds like a bunch of biulders from barnsley] LOL Johnny

Social source share

I like a lot of the recent Nigel Lowis remixes, but not so keen on this. I think Reach Out For Me is a classic 60s song and not one that can be brought up to date with the same effect

It's not a 60s song though is it Dave? You're not confusing it with 'Reach Out For Me' - Lou Johnson/Dionne Warwick are you? And even that got a decent update in the mid 70s.....

Reach Out For Me - Universal Mind

Ian D :)

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Yes, duh, I was confusing it with that. It's very similar particularly as the first line is almost the same. I don't like the Universal Mind version either. Roy Hamilton's is my fave.

I LOVE the Universal Mind version and I'm nicely surprised by the Roy Hamilton version. Lou Johnson still edges it for me though.....

Social source share

Guest Gary DSG

Thanks Ian'' with love mastercuts'' for posting. General Johnson of The Chairman Of The Board wanted to the band to carry on his legacy! Very big on the Beach scene and a new release and act on DSG. Thanks to everybody for your your support for the label! Might have to get some offices soon lol. We are forever in Soul Town! 

Social source share

Guest Gary DSG

Immaculte,smooth and beautifully arranged soul, Very tastey indeed { change the name Ken Knox & company sounds like a bunch of biulders from barnsley] LOL Johnny

Ken Knox's is a nice bloke and had a good laugh at your comment. The Company are his band and I guess could be called & Co. They are very big on the beach scene and General Johnson of The Chairman Of The Board was most proud they wanted to continue the legacy, maybe now after your idea with some DIY jobs on the side lol. Thanks for the laugh, posted your comment on my Facebook page.

Gary Van den Bussche  

Social source share

Chase him up Chalky. I think DSG want to put out an album.....

i'd done the basic article, he was going to send a couple of amendments/additions, will chase him up but looks like DSG are in touch with him.  He is very very approachable and is on facebook.  I'm also in touch with Danny Woods and Jimmy Sterling, both ex Chairmen of the Board.

As for the group name, Ken retired the name Chairmen of the Board when General passed away.

Social source share

i'd done the basic article, he was going to send a couple of amendments/additions, will chase him up but looks like DSG are in touch with him.  He is very very approachable and is on facebook.  I'm also in touch with Danny Woods and Jimmy Sterling, both ex Chairmen of the Board.

As for the group name, Ken retired the name Chairmen of the Board when General passed away.

I'll get Gary to drop you a PM then Chalky. I'm sure he'll need a comprehensive bio and stuff he can use for sleeve-notes etc, so as ever, let's put it to good use.

Best,

Ian :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I didn't realize that DSG are responsible for some of the best new music and remixes over the last 12 months like SouLutions, Samuel D Sanders, McCrei. More power to you Gary!

And I didn't realise until recently that Gary Van den Bussche, whom I've spoken to on Facebook and who kindly sent me some promo's a while back, was the "Disco Gary" whose club charts used to appear in the back of B&S back in the day.......well, well!!  :D

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
Social source share

And I didn't realise until recently that Gary Van den Bussche, whom I've spoken to on Facebook and who kindly sent me some promo's a while back, was the "Disco Gary" whose club charts used to appear in the back of B&S back in the day.......well, well!!  :D

Cheers,

Mark R

Yep, one and the same Mark. I first met him when I was doing club promo at EMI in 1983 and we thought he was a Disco weirdo back then. :)

Then I got conversing with him again earlier this year when he did some free promo for the Mike Maurro Remixes album which turned into a big album for me. I'd been seeing these DSG releases coming through for last year or so and the quality of the records was always pretty good, so we eventually hooked up the other day and I got the chance to hear some of the forthcoming releases and I'm impressed. Gary's a true believer and his releases are hitting the spot with plenty of people. There's not many like him left these days so I'm hopefully going to be able to help him with some stuff.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Gary DSG

Disco Weirdo funny, you know it's for the love of Soul Music. Yes, OMG- Disco Gary will that name ever leave me? but it was always be for the love of Soul/Disco music, even back then, same as now!  We have now grown to a family DSG and we love & need your support to help our music get through, we need team support, producers, remixers, artists, labels,DJ's, to lets our family grow & I thank you for your help and support!  Mark R big respect, Ian thank you & welcome to our family, B&S , RM charts, Mark omg used to take me a week doing them. We always need busy Radio / Club DJ's to promote our DSG music, so please join our promo list,

I'm on Facebook and happy to talk & thankful for your help. 

What tunes do you think could do with a remix, to suite today's floors and airways? 

Gary Van den Bussche - DSG 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!