Record Middles

Tomangoes

Why did the majority of UK 45s have fixed middles with the small hole, but US and other overseas 45's have a larger hole?

Obviously it did not apply to Lps.

I remember the old UK record players having the 'stacking system' that allowed about 6 singles to play one after the other. Was that unique to us?

Ed :lol:

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I remember the old UK record players having the 'stacking system' that allowed about 6 singles to play one after the other. Was that unique to us?

Ed :lol:

No,they have centres with stacking capability :lol: in the US

Social source share

I remember being at Shotts all nighter many many moons ago and this pissed up bloke asked Guy Hennigan that very same question....

Guy said "Two different types of record players mate......."

The bloke's mate said to him... "Why didn't you ask me.... i knew that...."

Was very funny.... :lol:

Hi Joan,

My understanding is that American 45s had large holes for the Jukeboxes and rather than make seperate 45s with small holes for those 'other' types of record players, they just made adapters so that their 45s could be played on both.

The UK releases came with small holes but also with a bigger 'push-out' centre so they could be used on UK Jukeboxes. Having said that, I could never understand why it was that many UK releases got pressed without that larger push-out centre. How would they be converted for use on UK Jukeboxes I sked myself? Unless of course, there were two types of UK Jukeboxes, one with small spindles and one with large spindles?

Social source share

Hi Joan,

My understanding is that American 45s had large holes for the Jukeboxes and rather than make seperate 45s with small holes for those 'other' types of record players, they just made adapters so that their 45s could be played on both.

The UK releases came with small holes but also with a bigger 'push-out' centre so they could be used on UK Jukeboxes. Having said that, I could never understand why it was that many UK releases got pressed without that larger push-out centre. How would they be converted for use on UK Jukeboxes I sked myself? Unless of course, there were two types of UK Jukeboxes, one with small spindles and one with large spindles?

Hi Dennis...

Yes i knew that... honest!!

Just thought i'd share my funny story that's all!! :lol:

One thing i will say whilst we're on the subject... any body else find those metal middles too big for certain records?

Not a problem if you can centre a record without one... me.. not a chance... have to play something else!

Social source share

Hi Dennis...

Yes i knew that... honest!!

Just thought i'd share my funny story that's all!! :lol:

One thing i will say whilst we're on the subject... any body else find those metal middles too big for certain records?

Not a problem if you can centre a record without one... me.. not a chance... have to play something else!

Metal middles, yeah, know what you mean. Doesn't happen on all American imports but when it happens, it always seems to happen on those made from styrene rather than vinyl, don't you think?

Social source share

:yes: usually carry my own just incase nothing more worrying than trying to pop out a metal center from a styrene record makes you cringe.

Do you know why some dont fit joan.........usually down to becaus ethe record played befor hand was so god dam hot the metal center expands under the heat so the next one dont fit, thats my excuse any way :lol:

You can get plastic ones that are a conical shape or metal ones the same they are slightly smaller :lol:

Social source share

you could get a 'dinking' tool to cut out the middle of the record if the record had a solid centre, all jukeboxes have large spindles but some records probably weren't expected to get played on them! small labels and so on...

it's easy to annoy UK issue collectors by threatening to push out all the middles to make them easier to deejay with...

Social source share

you could get a 'dinking' tool to cut out the middle of the record if the record had a solid centre, all jukeboxes have large spindles but some records probably weren't expected to get played on them! small labels and so on...

it's easy to annoy UK issue collectors by threatening to push out all the middles to make them easier to deejay with...

Yeah, I know . . . . I'm one of them :lol:

Social source share

Metal middles, yeah, know what you mean. Doesn't happen on all American imports but when it happens, it always seems to happen on those made from styrene rather than vinyl, don't you think?

The plastic cone ones from Beatin Rhythm are the dogs bollocks and NEVER stick.

Tel. 0161 834 7783 and they'll pop some in the post for ya. Great service. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Some UK 45s do actually come with a US type large centre, lots of the red Atlantic's, Stax too, and i've had 5th Dimension's 'Train Keep On Moving' Liberty, twice with centre professionaly cut out. According to J.Manship, these UK 45's with professionaly removed centres are of the same value as those with full centre......any responses...

Social source share

Andy Dennison is the top man for doing that Joan, I just watch him in amazement when he does it! :thumbsup: , see you on the 30th sweetie

Lenny

Do this all the time myself - got an old customer, a reggae guy to show me how...its actually v easy and with a little practice its as quick to do when DJing as it is to use centres. Its essential you use a slipmat on the deck, and that the hole in the centre of the mat fits snuggly round the centre spindle.....otherwise its very easy to knock it out.

Cheers Girth

Social source share

I see a mate snap a record forcing it on a metal middle...tried to push it all the way down :thumbsup:

I always find it better to put the record on the deck then put the middle on... that way you don't have to push the record right down it, middle usually fits ok that way.. same with taking it off.. middle first then record..

Social source share

I see a mate snap a record forcing it on a metal middle...tried to push it all the way down :thumbsup:

I always find it better to put the record on the deck then put the middle on... that way you don't have to push the record right down it, middle usually fits ok that way.. same with taking it off.. middle first then record..

See my other post. :lol:

Social source share

if you place the record roughly central on the deck then place your thumb vertically against the spindle and start the deck spinning the record will line itself up centrally after a few revolutions.

Social source share

if you place the record roughly central on the deck then place your thumb vertically against the spindle and start the deck spinning the record will line itself up centrally after a few revolutions.

Ok,as long as the centre is smooth,paper labels pain in the nekc,so use a centre,how easy is that,there not that hard to find,about a quid each.........centre.jpg(post-1986-1158609422_thumb.jp

centre2.jpg(post-1986-1158609486_thumb.j.

Social source share

Ok,as long as the centre is smooth,paper labels pain in the nekc,so use a centre,how easy is that,there not that hard to find,about a quid each.........centre.jpg(post-1986-1158609422_thumb.jp

centre2.jpg(post-1986-1158609486_thumb.j.

Must admit to finding these a little awkward to lift off, especially if it's hot and sweaty and your fingers can't get a grip.

Much prefer the plastic cylindrical type.

If centre won't fit hole, I'm with RnB Rookie, place record first then centre. Easy peasy.

Social source share

Doesn't that all depend on how thick your thumb is? :D

Social source share

So, if your thumb has a very high IQ then it will do a better job than one with a low IQ. Is THAT what you mean? shades.gif
:P

Quite,once my thumb has mastered Pi=R squared I'm possitive the record will sit quite dandy without any artificial assistance.

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Hi Joan,

My local record shop in Prestatyn in the 70's & 80's had a hand held machine to remove solid centre out of records, you used to have to warm the center with a lighted match first then place it between this tong like contraption and squeeze the handles this then removed the center to give you a large hole. I use to go to the local record shop to use this method to supply my local pub's juke box with decent tunes that the juke box company wouldn't supply. :thumbsup:
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!