So what is this record I'm trying to remember?

purist

Old age comes to us all, hopefully, and with it comes brain fade.Several times in the last few years I've seen this record for sale and meant to buy it. I have no idea why I didn't write it on my wants list? 
This is what I can remember. The label is Red and White and Black, might be that there's two red areas and two white areas with black writing? maybe the red is at the sides and the white is top and bottom of the label, or vice versa, but they are kinda seperate areas, think of Canada, how they use their flag on various tourist items. I think on each side at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock there's a design, not large, maybe its a leaf, or a bird, or just a squiggle. The artist is almost certainly a girl group with a typical The name like The Ronettes , no extra names, or somebody and the suchandsuch, just a group that stars with THE
It's a rough edged mid 60's record, no silky sweet soul or polished performance, but not out and out R'n'B. Its northern, but not like a typical classic played in the middle 70's,. It's probably what I'd think of as a "60's Newies" sound. So I'm guessing Stafford era or not long after? In my head I'm expecting to pay 250, maybe 300, so its possibly a £400 record :D
Help a poor doddering old fool, who is getting frustrated. Better still once we've worked out what it is, sell me one :D

Social source share

Old age comes to us all, hopefully, and with it comes brain fade.Several times in the last few years I've seen this record for sale and meant to buy it. I have no idea why I didn't write it on my wants list? 
This is what I can remember. The label is Red and White and Black, might be that there's two red areas and two white areas with black writing? maybe the red is at the sides and the white is top and bottom of the label, or vice versa, but they are kinda seperate areas, think of Canada, how they use their flag on various tourist items. I think on each side at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock there's a design, not large, maybe its a leaf, or a bird, or just a squiggle. The artist is almost certainly a girl group with a typical The name like The Ronettes , no extra names, or somebody and the suchandsuch, just a group that stars with THE
It's a rough edged mid 60's record, no silky sweet soul or polished performance, but not out and out R'n'B. Its northern, but not like a typical classic played in the middle 70's,. It's probably what I'd think of as a "60's Newies" sound. So I'm guessing Stafford era or not long after? In my head I'm expecting to pay 250, maybe 300, so its possibly a £400 record :D
Help a poor doddering old fool, who is getting frustrated. Better still once we've worked out what it is, sell me one :D

5628e6ef57f67_Capture_dcran_2015-10-22__

• Helpful 3
Social source share

On first hearing I'm sure I can hear The Shangri-Las "Leader Of The Pack" on the intro of The Bonnets 45.

The former was a big hit in 1964 and as a betting man I suspect the latter came out pretty soon afterwards.

The Ronettes, The Bonnets - next you'll be telling me there's a Tonettes somewhere.......

Derek

Social source share

On first hearing I'm sure I can hear The Shangri-Las "Leader Of The Pack" on the intro of The Bonnets 45.

The former was a big hit in 1964 and as a betting man I suspect the latter came out pretty soon afterwards.

The Ronettes, The Bonnets - next you'll be telling me there's a Tonettes somewhere.......

Derek

Tonettes record - wow - I gotta know about that

I must admit I thought Charmaines on red leaf, the other side is called hypnotised and is also a great record - Cant find a sound byte

Social source share

So yesterday I spent a ridiculous amount of time on utube, ploughing through as many videos as I could -not listening, just looking for this label design. 

Eventually I found it. I must have looked at thousands of labels. What I should have done was check on here firs,t because a fine fellow who shares much the same taste as me had cracked it. Stand up Phil T, I reckon I owe you a shandy next time I see you.

Can I also apologise to all who to all who tried. My misleading memory of exactly what the label looked like - well I put it down to too many late nights ;-)

p.s. if anyone has a Kavetts they would part with, please give me a shout

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!