soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 24
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

IS THIS A GOOD PRICE.SEEMS A HELL OF A HIKE TO THE JIMMY REED JR VERSION.HOW RARE IS IT? I THOUGHT IT WAS A 70'S TUNE AND NOT AS RARE????

That's cheap mate that Andy Dyson must be giving them away....

Social source share

The Leroy Barbour version is a brilliant dance track, and is classier, faster and far more soulful!

Don't know whether Duncan has one, but my copy certainly resides in the north-east. It's been played at Whitley Bay, Piercebridge and Darlington.

Anyone who'd like to hear this and many other great records, come along to Whitley Bay's Berkeley Tavern on October 14th ...!!!

Peter

Social source share

leroy barbour has always been a seriously rare record, should be a 1000, had 4 copies a few years ago that came from phillip mitchell via a 3rd party other than that only ever found it once in some 20 years of searching for vinyl...

CHEERS ANDY

IF YOU SAY SO THEN I'LL HAVE TO CONCEDE.HAVE TO ADMIT IT SURE SOUNDS THE BOMB. :shhh: WILL HAVE TO PUT IT ON MY XMAS LIST.

NEV

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The Leroy Barbour version is a brilliant dance track, and is classier, faster and far more soulful!

...Now you're just being daft, lad. Faster - yes, Classier - no. More soulful. Do be brief! It doesn't even belong in the same room as J. Reed Jr, much less the same box. Just cause it's rarer, don't make it better and in this case it definitely don't.

TONE :shhh:

Social source share

...Now you're just being daft, lad. Faster - yes, Classier - no. More soulful. Do be brief! It doesn't even belong in the same room as J. Reed Jr, much less the same box. Just cause it's rarer, don't make it better and in this case it definitely don't.

TONE :shhh:

Agreed seen it played out a few times and does not get that much dance floor reaction

Social source share

TONY ROUNCE Posted Today, 12:03 AM

QUOTE(Peter Richer @ Sep 21 2006, 12:49 PM)

TONE

---------------------

Try learning to read matey, before fiddling with your keyboard.

I never said it was better because it was rarer. I said it was classier and more soulful, and I'm not the only one on this thread who thinks it is the superior version.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion (even you!), but here's a thought ... why don't you try being less obnoxious when expressing yours?!

And by the way old man, I'm not your 'lad'.

Peter

Social source share

Cheers Chalky ... I always thought you must be a man of good taste!!!

I think you're right, the track hasn't been played a great deal, but I do always try to give the Leroy Barbour a spin whenever I'm lucky enough to be asked to play a few records up here in the north-east.

Peter

Social source share

both excellent records in their own right but I think Leroy just sneaks it for me.

Not really heard any DJ get behind either version in a long time which probably explains lack of dance floor interest.

I've only heard the Leroy Barbour version wich I think is fantastic!

Anybody got an mp3 of Jimmy Reed's version and how much does that one go for?

Social source share

I play Jimmy Reed Jnr at Barrowby and it gets good reaction, although i must admit to prefering Leroy's version.

Paul Seward always plays Leroy downstairs at Skeggy weekender and gets a mixed reaction , like Chalky says both don't seem to be played enough and i would imagine not too many people know Leroy's version due to it's rareity and £350 seems pretty cheap to me unless it was a dog rough copy !!!. Ian. S.

Social source share

I play Jimmy Reed Jnr at Barrowby and it gets good reaction, although i must admit to prefering Leroy's version.

Paul Seward always plays Leroy downstairs at Skeggy weekender and gets a mixed reaction , like Chalky says both don't seem to be played enough and i would imagine not too many people know Leroy's version due to it's rareity and £350 seems pretty cheap to me unless it was a dog rough copy !!!. Ian. S.

................................................................................

................................................................................

i bought said copy off andy, its in near mint condition, been after a copy for near on 20 years, i'll be eternally grateful to andy for selling it to me, he's a top man, a true gent...

Edited by soulman1964
Social source share

TONY ROUNCE Posted Today, 12:03 AM

QUOTE(Peter Richer @ Sep 21 2006, 12:49 PM)

TONE

---------------------

Try learning to read matey, before fiddling with your keyboard.

I never said it was better because it was rarer. I said it was classier and more soulful, and I'm not the only one on this thread who thinks it is the superior version.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion (even you!), but here's a thought ... why don't you try being less obnoxious when expressing yours?!

And by the way old man, I'm not your 'lad'.

Peter

NOW NOW BOYS

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER"

I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED THE JIMMY REED JR VERSION SINCE I FIRST HEARD IT PLAYED OUT REGULAR AT THE CUMBY ARMS(AYCLIFFESOULCLUB),WHERE INCIDENTLY RECORDS LIKE THIS WERE IN ABUNDANCE.NOW TO BE FOUND AT THE NORTH BRIT NEWTON AYCLIFFE.FRIDAY 29TH SEPT(PLUG)

EQUALLY I LIKE BOTH VERSIONS FOR DIFFERENT REASONS ,LEROY BARBOUR IS (IMHO) MORE SUITED FOR THE DANCEFLOOR BUT I LOVE JIMMY REED JR VOCALLY .

ANOTHER RECORD THAT SPRINGS TO MIND IN THE SAME VANE IS "COLOR HIM FATHER" .I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE WINSTONS VERSION VOCALLY BUT PREFER O C SMITH FOR THE DANCEFLOOR .OK I KNOW THERE ARE A COUPLE MORE VERSIONS ( PLEASE NO PRIZES FOR NAMING EM) :thumbsup:

REMEMBER I POSTED THIS IN THE WANTS AND DID'NT ASK FOR A BIG DEBATE. SO PLEASE GUY'S, I KNOW WHAT PASSIONATE SOUL'S WE ARE,DON'T LETS FALL OUT OVER IT EH :thumbsup:

BY THE WAY PETE IF IT WAS YOU WHO PLAYED IT AT DARLINGTON DSRM AND PIERCEBRIDGE THEN MANY THANKS ,THE PLEASURE WAS ALL MINE :D

Social source share

Hi Nev,

Glad you enjoyed the record when I played it at Rolling Mills and Piercebridge (there's a few of us around the Whitley Bay/Cramlington area who like it), and I hope you manage to pick one up soon mate. Unfortunately it is quite expensive, and I think Soulman1964 got a good deal from Andy Dyson.

I'm hoping to get to the North Brit on Friday, so with any luck I'll be able to find you there and say hello (and don't forget the Berkeley Tavern at Whitley Bay on October 14th, where I'll definitely be spinning our Leroy!!).

As for my reply to Mr. Rounce; well, what do people expect when they post up patronizing remarks which:

a) are rude and insulting ('daft', 'lad', 'do be brief', etc.),

cool.gif pretend that people have said things which they haven't (the better because it's rarer comment), and

c) attack the PERSON for giving an honest opinion, rather than providing their own REASONING for why they may hold a different view.

Is it any wonder that some people are put off from contributing to Soul Source's forum when this kind of attitude keeps rearing its ugly head?!

Cheers,

Peter

PS - I've read through this thread again, and (up to now) NOT ONE person has said (or implied) that the LB version is 'better because it's rarer'. However, there are quite a few people who have said they prefer it though!!

Social source share

Jimmy Reed edges it for me---always been one of my favourites tho as you know Nev.

Hope to see you at the Black Swan on the 6th and ill give it ANOTHER spin

Steve

Social source share

Jimmy Reed edges it for me---always been one of my favourites tho as you know Nev.

Hope to see you at the Black Swan on the 6th and ill give it ANOTHER spin

Steve

OK MR MID-TEMPO MAN :D

TRY CRANKING IT UP A BIT ,YOU NEVER KNOW IT MIGHT JUST PASS AS LEROY BARBOUR wicked.gif

ONLY JOKIN STEVE ,HELL OF A TUNE EITHER WAY I LOVE IT . :thumbsup:

NEV (NORTH BRIT FRIDAY )B THERE OR B SQ

Social source share