Stylistics - Anyone?

Peter99

Not sure whether this is the right forum. But, anyway, I've been reminiscing a little tonight and thinking back to what got me started in soul music - way before i knew what northern soul was. It was these guys - The Stylistics, bought plenty of their albums as quite a young lad. A great introduction to the Philly sound - still sounds good to me today, they diid some great records. Anyone else a fan. I'll kick off with this cracker.

Peter

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I think this is their first recording session ...very 60's !

At the time I think they were managed by Marty Bryant who was also responsible for the Precisions 45 on Hen-Mar

Andy

Stylistics 1.jpg

Stylistics 2.jpg

And what a record that is Andy (Precisions on Hen mar "Take a good look") very scarce as it is, but brilliant

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Nice one Andy. 

Hope you are well Sir.

Peter :hatsoff2:

I think this is their first recording session ...very 60's !

At the time I think they were managed by Marty Bryant who was also responsible for the Precisions 45 on Hen-Mar

Andy

Stylistics 1.jpg

Stylistics 2.jpg

Nice one Andy. 

I hope you are well Sir.I haven't seen you in yonks.Think you were still nursing back then - I remember Anita also.

Peter

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

In 1972 I had to do a 6 month work assignment in Southampton. I didn't know a single person there and I saw in the local rag that they were advertising for bar staff at the Southampton Top Rank. I got taken on so used to do my day job then 3 or 4 nights a week at the Top Rank. There was such a good crack amongst the bar staff that we used to get together on Sunday nights and go to a different club. Anyway one of the big hits of that summer was Betcha By Golly Wow. The thought of how it used to echo round that huge Top Rank club still gives me shivers right down my backbone. I still remember it as one of the best times of my life and that record wraps it all up in one beautiful package. So sorry it's a bit mainstream but here goes . . . . . . . . :)

Social source share

In 1972 I had to do a 6 month work assignment in Southampton. I didn't know a single person there and I saw in the local rag that they were advertising for bar staff at the Southampton Top Rank. I got taken on so used to do my day job then 3 or 4 nights a week at the Top Rank. There was such a good crack amongst the bar staff that we used to get together on Sunday nights and go to a different club. Anyway one of the big hits of that summer was Betcha By Golly Wow. The thought of how it used to echo round that huge Top Rank club still gives me shivers right down my backbone. I still remember it as one of the best times of my life and that record wraps it all up in one beautiful package. So sorry it's a bit mainstream but here goes . . . . . . . . :)

Nice one Mark - you have good taste. . Hope you're well boss. 

Peter 

Social source share

Not sure whether this is the right forum. But, anyway, I've been reminiscing a little tonight and thinking back to what got me started in soul music - way before i knew what northern soul was. It was these guys - The Stylistics, bought plenty of their albums as quite a young lad. A great introduction to the Philly sound - still sounds good to me today, they diid some great records. Anyone else a fan. I'll kick off with this cracker.

Peter

Had it not been for the success of this great group,  I very much doubt the Falsetto lead would have had the same impact with in black music history. Falsetto and light tenor members became a must for most of the more successful groups. I still find it hard to get past ' I don't want to make you wait' as chestnut within their catalog. Good shout peter.

Andy

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Obviously not northern, but People Make The World Go Round (especially the full length album version) is one of the all time classics...

Good call, my favourite Stylistics track by a mile, although when Ali and Kaya start their stylistic-oke thay rarely get past betcha by golly wow.........

Trout Out

Social source share

There's a lively track by them worth checking,"she did a number on me",not Russell on lead though.. interesting nonetheless.

Yes from the LP "Heavy" 1974 Avco lead vocal by Herb Murrell.

Am a big fan of The Stylistics don"t forget thier later Philly Int LPs either :thumbsup: as NCFC has already mentioned with the nice dancer "We Should Be Lovers" also a version by Phyliss Hyman of this.

Cheers Paul

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Peter

Peter, don't know if you know this but they are on tour in UK , think they are at the parr hall in Warrington, in November ,not sure how many of the original line up are gonna be present though..Phil 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Peter, don't know if you know this but they are on tour in UK , think they are at the parr hall in Warrington, in November ,not sure how many of the original line up are gonna be present though..Phil 

Cheers Phil. I didn't know that. I could be wrong but I think there have been quite a few changes to the original line up.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...
On 2015-10-23 at 23:55, MBarrett said:

Beautiful Soul ballad, they just don't make them like this anymore. :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The stylistics ( older sister ) & temptations ( older brother ) were played at home throughout the late 60s and 70s and is where my taste in music originated and I then heard Northern and that was that although I still love the Temps/motown. ! 

My sister went to see the stylistic a couple of times at the Batley variety club circa 1974 and got to talk with them after the show and she still talks about how great they were.

Great childhood memories every time the stylistic are mentioned so thanks Pete.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, petebangor said:

Betcha By Golly Wow is a great tune, this is the original version -

Thank you for posting Pete, Connie Stevens as in Tick Tock fame, what a distinctive voice she has.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

made some great records 

point of no return

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WdB4lY88aw

make it last

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBX2tARl2WM

hey girl come and get it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tPn1sDRR3s

if i love you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0byXdQJyMr8

and not forgettin their 1st 45 on sebring from 1970....a great 2 sider imo

youre a big girl now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_ZSo4fXyck

let the junkie bust the pusher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkswy7YKrEM

Edited by dave pinch
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

3 hours ago, sunnysoul said:

This is the flip side to their hit version of You'll Never Get To Heaven (If You Break My Heart) from 1972  ... amazing how many modern soul enthusiasts are completely unaware of this great finger snapping dancer  ... 

Eloise Laws did a version of this, a Searling play as a new release.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 2015-10-23 at 22:25, Peter99 said:

Peter

Huge Stylistics fan here Pete, love listening to their sounds while out and about in the 70's Lincoln.  :thumbsup:  :hatsoff2:  

009.JPG

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It took me years to appreciate them. The first time I was aware of them was when they had a hit with "$7000 and you". That, combined with the unfamiliar sound of falsetto, sent me running, especially as it seemed to get played all the time on the radio. Third rate cabaret.

So when I heard "Hey girl come and get it" on Shaun Robbins' Sunday Soul Selection centuries later, it was a real wake up call. And Paul Collins would also play this stellar tune on his excellent show:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!