WHO IS THE LEAD SINGER OF THE DYNELLS " CALL ON ME "

Info you want here (in the comments) ......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mL23kfGh1M

........... The Dynells - 'Call On Me' The Dynells are one of many girl groups left out of music's history books. Frontwoman Brenda McGregor went on to join The Vonettes before tragically dying at just 25, but little else is known about the group aside from their corking songs. 'Call On Me' is a mind-blowing Northern Soul number that's utterly beautiful.
Read more at https://www.nme.com/photos/20-forgotten-60s-girl-groups/290505#/photo/5#vMkzF6xUFPC3LlfG.99

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Another posting on a youtube video of the song states ..........  Brenda McGregor was the lead singer, Delores McGregor, and Shirley Cook (the other members), I know because I'm Sandra McGregor the younger sister of Brenda.

RE: Brenda then joining the Vonettes ..........  the voices on the Vonettes 45 are supposed to be those of Sandi Sheldon & Van McCoy (according to Sandi / Kendra Spotswood), so maybe Brenda was only in the 'live' version of that group and not the studio version.

Social source share

RE: Brenda then joining the Vonettes ..........  the voices on the Vonettes 45 are supposed to be those of Sandi Sheldon & Van McCoy (according to Sandi / Kendra Spotswood), so maybe Brenda was only in the 'live' version of that group and not the studio version.

This sounds very reasonable and likely, as a duo is not really considered to be a "group".  A minimum of 3 is required.  The Raindrops, the "studio group" outlet for Jeff Barry's and Ellie Greenwich's songs (composed merely of Jeff and Ellie, themselves, needed to look and sound like a group when making personal appearances.  So, they added Bobby Bosco.  The same tactic could have been employed by Van McCoy with The Vonettes.  These studio groups had gotten their full group sound by overdubbing in the studio.  But in live performances, they needed an extra voice.  So, they added in a group member.  I seem to remember this situation occurring with several more studio groups, but can't remember off the top of my head, which they were.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, "Tony Orlando and Dawn" was chosen by Orlando's producer as his "artist name" before his song was released and became a hit.  He needed a back-up "group".  I think that Joyce Vincent was one of his back-up singers on the recording.  But, his label had to sign her, and the other singer to a contract afterward, so he could have a "group" for his personal appearances.

Social source share

Van McCoy was known to have saved a lot of money and ensured the high quality of his recordings' background vocals by heavily overdubbing his own, Chris Bartley's and Kendra Spotswood's voices to produce a group sound on many of his recordings.  So, given that The Vonettes were supposed to be a "studio group", it is not unlikely that once The Vonnettes' record started selling, and there was demand for appearances, that Van decided it would be better to actually have a group to appear, and found Brenda McGregor, a New York Metro Area singer, who may have been known by Kendra or another of Van's industry connections.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I see that a few posters on this thread "gave me reputation".  I hope it's not a virus!  :lol:  I hope it's a good reputation, and not a notorious one (as in "Look at the idiotic posts this tosser inflicts upon us!"  But, seriously, folks,.... I'd like to find out what is the purpose of this forum "feature",  and how it works.

If it's something GOOD, like giving kudos for answering a question and providing good information, I don't understand why Roburt, who answered the question, and provided the theory with which I only agreed, didn't get the "reputation" instead of me, or, at least, along with me. 

Maybe I've got a 'reputation" for trying to steal glory from the rightful owners!  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!