WoodButcher

A sad day indeed , XH558's final , final flight

With the type of wars the UK now fights, keeping and rebuilding a Vulcan fleet would have been a viable option. Re-engined, modern avionics, flying high they could have used smart or area weapons to hit the irregular forces the UK has been fighting in recent years. The US have done that (several times) with its B-52 fleet. Just glad I got to see them close up and hear them as they flew by. :thumbsup:

had the pleasure of one flying over the house about 6-8 weeks ago at about 11.30pm ! We were in bed when I could hear this noise coming toward the house and as it went over I thought the the bloody roof was coming in , me and Denise jumped out of bed and looked out the window to see the burners heading toward our local Church , St.James in Louth,which has a large spire and is lit up at night , the Vulcan seemed to go to the right of the spire (looked close but obviously must have been a fair distance really) then it banked over to the left began to straighten up and then accelerated like fook , with what seemed huge flames coming out of the burners and disappeared into the night , Awesome !!!!:yes:

Funnily enough the following days on local radio and in the papers there were all sorts of UFO sightings etc. lol Muppets !! although it was unusual to see someting like that at that time of night I suppose.

Cheers

Biggles Swift

I very much doubt it was XH558 over your house at 11:30pm ... on the 20 odd occasions she was airborne this year she took off around midday and was tucked up safe on the ground again by 16:00.

With her very precious allocated airtime in her final flying year none would be wasted flying at night ... :thumbsup:

had the pleasure of one flying over the house about 6-8 weeks ago at about 11.30pm ! We were in bed when I could hear this noise coming toward the house and as it went over I thought the the bloody roof was coming in , me and Denise jumped out of bed and looked out the window to see the burners heading toward our local Church , St.James in Louth,which has a large spire and is lit up at night , the Vulcan seemed to go to the right of the spire (looked close but obviously must have been a fair distance really) then it banked over to the left began to straighten up and then accelerated like fook , with what seemed huge flames coming out of the burners and disappeared into the night , Awesome !!!!:yes:

Funnily enough the following days on local radio and in the papers there were all sorts of UFO sightings etc. lol Muppets !! although it was unusual to see someting like that at that time of night I suppose.

Cheers

Biggles Swift

I very much doubt it was XH558 over your house at 11:30pm ... on the 20 odd occasions she was airborne this year she took off around midday and was tucked up safe on the ground again by 16:00.

With her very precious allocated airtime in her final flying year none would be wasted flying at night ... :thumbsup:

So does that now not rule out UFO's?

I live on the outskirts of the village of Albrighton right by RAF Cosford where they have the yearly airshow.

We get a fantastic view of everything from our garden

The star of the show is the almighty Vulcan in my opinion. An absolutely awsome sight and sound.

We got to see it on the saturday (practice) and sunday airshow. We had a fantastic last flyover this year on a Friday if I remember before its retirement.

I filmed this pretty rubbish quality video of it from my back garden.

101_2996.MP4

Edited by craig W

Hi Craig, hope you are well.

My son lives in Pattingham and i was able to see the same 'fly over' as you. Just brilliant to see. I too managed to capture it on film but must admit didn't come out as good as yours!

Ade

I have vivid memories of the Vulcan bomber. My father served in the RAF and in the early 60s we were stationed at RAF Waddington and lived in the last house adjacent to the runway perimeter. You could set your watch every night by the landings and taking offs as they rotated their time in the sky over the North Sea.

seeing the picture of them at the Ascention Islands reminded me of a great book which came out 2006/07 titled Vulcan 607 by Rowland White. It is the story, (and what a story) of the attack on the Falkland Islands. I won't spoil any bodies enjoyment but if you like this sort of true story then this IS A MUST read. It is fantastic and a real eye opener as to what happened and how.........phew!

Dave H.

These are a couple of photos I took when the Vulcan flew from the old Avro factory in Woodford a few months ago. They aren't very good, I only had an old camera and missed the better shots. 

DSCF8183.thumb.JPG.f35ad5f51ec524ecb43d8

DSCF8184.thumb.JPG.cc8c21b1412e821df19a1

I used to live about a mile and a half from the factory that made the Vulcans and remember the tremendous noise they used to make when they tested the engines. Over fifteen minutes of a low roar. Occasionally they would fly over the house but they seemed to look bigger when I was a little lad .

The factory is now a pile of rubble with hundreds of houses rising from the ground. We need houses but also need the sort of industries that made the Vulcan.

Rick

I used to work at Woodford these were a regular sight . My Father worked there for 35 years from demob till retirement and has particularly fond memories of this magnificent aircraft that he helped build . 

The Vulcan has a special place in my family it put food on our table .

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.