Chris Jackson/Marke Jackson/Chris Bartley?

Stateside

Having just played Chris Jackson - I'll never forget you on Soul City it reminded me of that old mystery. Did anyone ever discover whether or not he was in fact Chris Bartley?

The Marke Jackson version on Jamie credits Van McCoy, so that's a connection, but the Chris Jackson UK version doesn't. Different B sides too.

Both versions are the same and both credited to C. Jackson, but everything about the record sounds to me like Chris Bartley.

Did Dave Godin ever say anything about it.

Thanks

Kev

Edited by stateside
Social source share

Chris Jackson was/is the name used by UK Soul City records to avoid any legal conflict, real name Marke Jackson. Chris Bartley is a completely different person, Both Marke & Chris worked with Van McCoy, Bartley staying quite a few years with McCoy on different labels.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

DG told me and Pete that Marke Jackson was an absolute twat and that it was him being SO extremely awkward that was the main reason the 444 release never came out (aside from the other stuff relating to finance of course).

Dx

Yes he was a very weird man, I heard him talking to the people who run McCoys estate, I think he's been sniffing too much, too long. Chris Bartley on the other hand was a real gent, polite, gentle and just great to spend time with.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!