Fanzines

Guest Baz

Just been reading an interesting artical on a web site i wont mention, talking about how fanzines are not aimed at the 'fans' but more of a vehicle for self publicity :D now i always thought that most fanzines where put together by not just one (well one usually does the putting together) but buy a whole manner of soul fans who are knowlageble and more importantly out there 'doing it' i for one would much rather read a photo copied fanzine and pay £3 for it than some hyped up glossy mag with naff all about soul in there and a few 'nice' pictures, at least they are always peoples own work and not just contantly 'nicking' ideas from soul source and publishing them as there own.

What fanzines have we got......

A few that spring to mind

Soul up North

shades of soul?

Soul Renasence

Any more

P.S if fanzines are your thing im doing a review of the latest soul up north for the news/articals section be up later in the week :D

Edited by Baz
Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

shades of soul?

Any more

This is in my book one of the most worthwhile soul fanzines ever. it has been published for so long now, derek deserves the highest respect for his hard labor and continuity :D Next to that it has had and still has up to this day the best record reviews and informations any self-respecting soul collector could ask for (well, excluding maybe the two or three reviews I was honoured to have been asked to add.. :D ). What a fountain of inspiration and knowledge it had become overthe years...anyone remember those great reviews by the Driveller, Carl Fortnum and later Dave Flynn ? Beside that I just received "That Beat" courtesy of Dave Moore/USA which is also a very nice effort and a good read....only thing missing in it are reviews of rare records....which leads to another well flavoured zine of mine, the sadly dead Rare Soul Review by Tim Brown....now that agian was a very good read...and if you did not like reading (it) you could at least get totally shaky and nervous by looking at scans of records most of us won`t have the chance to at least hold in there hands once :D

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

When Polly first started out Manifesto was a fanzine wasnt it? I dont think it is now tho. It fits more into the Glossy Mag, but still at times a great read.

Social source share

This is in my book one of the most worthwhile soul fanzines ever. it has been published for so long now, derek deserves the highest respect for his hard labor and continuity :D

Here, here Marc, along with the dancers,, the collectors and the records the Fanzines are a life blood of the scene, and now we have soul source an interative fanzine if you will, there is no deniying that fanzines are well thought out and put together buy knowlageble people willing to share this knowlage with other's, Dont think i've ever read one fanzine that is being used for self publicity, that comment just makes me crack up :D

Social source share

Beside that I just received "That Beat" courtesy of Dave Moore/USA which is also a very nice effort and a good read....only thing missing in it are reviews of rare records

Hi Marc,

When I conducted research with people before starting "There's That Beat!" the conclusion was that there was a place for a magazine that appealed to people who wouldn't necessarily class themselves as full blown anoraks whistling.gif but would like to read about records and see scans of records in full color and in a glossy format. If we were to produce this simply as a RARE RECORD Review similar to Tim's etc we'd last one issue and I'd be bankrupt. In fact most people think that page after page of record reviews are boring. Rest assured though Marc, when "Rare" records are relevent to the stories that we will be telling, not as a tit bit or bait to get anoraks to buy the mag, they'll be there. I believe that so far we have produced what we promised people we would. Rest assured, if the stories warrant 'Rare" records then they'll be featured. We've only had one issue so far, so hopefully the mag will develop and find it's niche as we get more input from subscribers and what they want to see in it.

Feedback is ALWAYS appreciated and taken on board.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

i for one would much rather read a photo copied fanzine and pay £3 for it than some hyped up glossy mag with naff all about soul in there and a few 'nice' pictures, at least they are always peoples own work and not just contantly 'nicking' ideas from soul source and publishing them as there own.

Mikey, are you refering to any mag in particular? whistling.gif

Social source share

Just been reading an interesting artical on a web site i wont mention, talking about how fanzines are not aimed at the 'fans' but more of a vehicle for self publicity shades.gif now i always thought that most fanzines where put together by not just one (well one usually does the putting together) but buy a whole manner of soul fans who are knowlageble and more importantly out there 'doing it' i for one would much rather read a photo copied fanzine and pay £3 for it than some hyped up glossy mag with naff all about soul in there and a few 'nice' pictures, at least they are always peoples own work and not just contantly 'nicking' ideas from soul source and publishing them as there own.

what web site, spill the beans so we can read, off list if you want :P

what ideas/work have been knicked from SS and done for magazine?

Social source share

Soul up North ...for biased reasons :P ...Soulful kinda Music & Shades...all a great read and can be extremely funny...I've been reduced to tears of laughter by the bits at the bottom of the pages in Shades

ps...Dont think I've ever knicked anything off here for my SUN musings...hope not anyway shades.gif

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

And in a piece of shameless self promotion I'd just like to remind all readers that Issue 67 of Soulful Kinda music is available now. I edit it, I put it together, I sell most of the copies, and I write most, but not all, of the articles.

So if you want to buy a mag that is almost entirely done by me as an act of self promotion (after all I've been doing it 17 years now, so you'd have thought I'd have been promoted to at least a general or something by now), PM me for details.

ps It will also be on sale at the Nige Shaw memorial night on the 22nd September, the 100 Club anniversay on the 23rd september, The Connaught Hotel on the 29th September, Hip Hugger in Weston on the 30th September, Belfast weekender on the 7th October, Johnny T's Birthday nighter on the 14th October, Solid Hit Soul on the 20th October, Middleton on the 28th October I could list more dates, but that would be considered self promotion...wouldn't it ?

Social source share

Just been reading an interesting artical on a web site i wont mention, talking about how fanzines are not aimed at the 'fans' but more of a vehicle for self publicity :thumbsup: now i always thought that most fanzines where put together by not just one (well one usually does the putting together) but buy a whole manner of soul fans who are knowlageble and more importantly out there 'doing it' i for one would much rather read a photo copied fanzine and pay £3 for it than some hyped up glossy mag with naff all about soul in there and a few 'nice' pictures, at least they are always peoples own work and not just contantly 'nicking' ideas from soul source and publishing them as there own.

Soul up North

shades of soul?

Soul Renasence

Any more

P.S if fanzines are your thing im doing a review of the latest soul up north for the news/articals section be up later in the week :thumbsup:

==========

Web site please Baz, off list

Cheers mate

Winnie:-)

Social source share

And in a piece of shameless self promotion I'd just like to remind all readers that Issue 67 of Soulful Kinda music is available now. I edit it, I put it together, I sell most of the copies, and I write most, but not all, of the articles.

So if you want to buy a mag that is almost entirely done by me as an act of self promotion (after all I've been doing it 17 years now, so you'd have thought I'd have been promoted to at least a general or something by now), PM me for details.

ps It will also be on sale at the Nige Shaw memorial night on the 22nd September, the 100 Club anniversay on the 23rd september, The Connaught Hotel on the 29th September, Hip Hugger in Weston on the 30th September, Belfast weekender on the 7th October, Johnny T's Birthday nighter on the 14th October, Solid Hit Soul on the 20th October, Middleton on the 28th October I could list more dates, but that would be considered self promotion...wouldn't it ?

Dave ,

If I don't approach you for issue 67 at the Saracens Cheltenham on Friday night, please poke a copy in my direction, as I fully support the efforts of all you guys who make so much effort above and beyond the call of duty, purely as a labour of love, Respect due to yourself /and the other publications that do so :thumbsup: Wilxy :thumbsup:

Social source share

no need now, been told which site, read it before. Love the legal notice bit at top of his northern soul page :thumbsup::thumbsup:

So no need for Chalky then.... I saw a film once about schoolgirls sneaking about in the playground bitching about the other girls ! wicked.gif

Social source share

Yes Soul Up North is the work of my old mate Howard Earnshaw and me and others help get it out there to folk all over the uk and overseas...New issue out now and details are 0n soul source,if you have any problem picking up a copy then i can post one on to you and will have it on sale at the Wolverhampton all niter on 30th...

Shades of Soul too is a good read for me,great value indeed...

A certain person who puts out a glossy fanzine :thumbsup: said to me that why pay £3 for a few photo copy pages stuck together, i said because its real,underground and the lifeblood of the rare soul scene.. Lets hope Shades/Soul Up North/Soulful kinda etc can go on for along time to come...

Social source share

Yes Soul Up North is the work of my old mate Howard Earnshaw and me and others help get it out there to folk all over the uk and overseas...New issue out now and details are 0n soul source,if you have any problem picking up a copy then i can post one on to you and will have it on sale at the Wolverhampton all niter on 30th...

Shades of Soul too is a good read for me,great value indeed...

A certain person who puts out a glossy fanzine :thumbsup: said to me that why pay £3 for a few photo copy pages stuck together, i said because its real,underground and the lifeblood of the rare soul scene.. Lets hope Shades/Soul Up North/Soulful kinda etc can go on for along time to come...

Steve,

Why would a glossy fanzine be "unreal" because it's glossy? The fanzines you mention are all fantastic publications and worthy of our support for years to come, but why knock other "formats".

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

www.theresthatbeat.com

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!