New slant or same old same old

Not sure if this young lady has been highlighted on SS yet but here's a video of her performance of the Johnny Brantley produced classic.  Not quite sure if it's different enough in tempo and style to really make the song her own or not. She can certainly sing but for a first outing should she maybe have chosen a new song?  Thought it might be of interest to members...

Lucinda Slim Video

Regards 

Dave

PS. Not sure what's happening with the 'quote thing'

Social source share

On 03/11/2015 13:23:02, modernsoulsucks said:

Sounds like Syd Lawrence and the BBC Northern Dance Orchestra !!!

Ha ha, :D

Just because someone can play saxophone to level grade 8 doesn't make them Mike Terry.

Tons of things missing, like guitar licks, kitchen sink, etc. .............empathy?

Kev

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Like many covers, the instant comparison to the fabulous original, which is already on a pedestal, can sometimes let the efforts down in favour of all sorts of comments. I think it is very well produced and works well. Her voice is lovely and the female b/v's discreet enough to be enjoyed but not overpowering. Yes, the power is not the same in the lead vocal, but nevertheless enjoyable. The horns are good, missing a few staccato stabs for me (after..things you said... ba ba ba..if that makes sense). I can well appreciate why others may find it possibly a little clinical...but for me, it's a good version and deserves credence. To be creative and compete with great songs and productions like the original takes guts and passion. I believe this to be a respectable cover and should I hear this as an alternative on any dance floor, I would participate and enjoy, knowing the original is just around the corner...forever. Whether the production crew check into SS or not, well done. I like it.

What I must say when writing and producing it gets very emotional when laying down the tracks and tweaking the song to get the best for the potential listener, just to be instantly written off. My Detroit session comes to mind when somebody said to me the most derogatory comment about the musicians on board who played on the rhythm section in 2008 'There were not enough chains on them'! How absolutely thoughtless and unnecessary....and unkind. That's an extreme I know, but can you imagine how I felt after spending £12000 of my pension money on those 4 songs that had a few of The Funk Brothers on. So, have a heart to those trying. It's not easy. And what if that horn section was full of young hopefuls trying to make it in the business? Or even established players etc. I write in the style of 'Detroit and Philly' because I love it and will never be Holland/Dozier/Holland or Gamble & Huff. Just like when HDH wrote 'I hear a Symphony' (I think), they will never be Chopin or Mozart. 

So food for thought and unlike Lucinda's cover, this is an original song I wrote and am producing. I have been on it for over 3 years and just got some of the vocals done and have decided to get some real horns because I think it is worth the risk. Think East coast 1976:

https://soundcloud.com/55motown/a-littl-of-the-big-stuff-by-the-formellas-stereo

Edited by Carl Dixon
Update url.
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I just updated the above url to a stereo version with drum enhancements and a shorter vocal deleting the repetitive finale to a more satisfactory crescendo. To be added, all being well, real horns, and maybe a hand clap version. I may also update the guitars to reflect and dance around the vocal etc. And actually, listening to Lucinda's track has made me re-think my horns for ALOTBS! I think it all feeds one another and yes I do realise you can't please all the people...which is what makes this music so diverse (on occasions!!).

Social source share

To me this sounds like a slighty better production of the stuff that Levine insists on "producing" Decent vocals but decidedly dodgy electronic backing tracks that just make it sound manufactured. If this girl wants a career in this type of music then she should team up with a decent jazz funk band and do some live recordings. Then we might sit up and listen but all of this out of the box backing track stuff just gives me a head ache and putting it on vinyl is quite honestly a waste of good vinyl

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!