dorothy berry & jimmy norman 7T's or 8T's issue ?

Tlscapital

While deejaying last night, my fellow pulled out this 7T's or 8T's issue that I've never seen before; 563605625a105_Capture_dcran_2015-11-01__. The record was a "hit" somehow in different places in the USA as the 1962 issue is not rare and was pressed in at least 3 different pressing plants; 563605ef5e68f_Capture_dcran_2015-11-01__56360626e0f9c_Capture_dcran_2015-11-01__56360642b6511_Capture_dcran_2015-11-01__

Would anyone know the story behind this specific reissue (who, why, when...) ? 

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

While deejaying last night, my fellow pulled out this 7T's or 8T's issue that I've never seen before; 563605625a105_Capture_dcran_2015-11-01__. The record was a "hit" somehow in different places in the USA as the 1962 issue is not rare and was pressed in at least 3 different pressing plants; 563605ef5e68f_Capture_dcran_2015-11-01__56360626e0f9c_Capture_dcran_2015-11-01__56360642b6511_Capture_dcran_2015-11-01__

Would anyone know the story behind this specific reissue (who, why, when...) ? 

I'm no expert on bootlegs or legitimate re-issues made for The NS, Popcorn or Beach Scenes.  But, that looks like a legitimate re-issue made by H.B. Barnum (resurrecting his Little Star label to take advantage of European or US demand.  I'd guess it was a late '70s or very early '80s pressing made because people from one of those scenes had contact with him, and told him of the demand.  So, he pressed them up.

Was that song played on The Northern scene?  If so, when was it hot?  Maybe that will lead you to your answer. 

Social source share

Brian rae played it at a soul night in anglsey a few years back i had one for  my birthday a couple of years ago 

and i was gonna play it in deeside all-nighter but run out of time 

It doesn't look like a recent pressing.  It looks more like a '70s pressing.  But, maybe it WASN'T made for The NS scene, but, rather for US demand, during the 1970s?

Social source share

It doesn't look like a recent pressing.  It looks more like a '70s pressing.  But, maybe it WASN'T made for The NS scene, but, rather for US demand, during the 1970s?

I have read that in the USA, in the aftermath of American Graffiti, a lot of Rock and Roll and RnB records were repressed as there was suddenly a mainstream desire for such music. I assume this sort of interest continued as several other films based in the 50s/Early 60s with period soundtracks were made - not to forget Happy Days

Social source share

I'm no expert on bootlegs or legitimate re-issues made for The NS, Popcorn or Beach Scenes.  But, that looks like a legitimate re-issue made by H.B. Barnum (resurrecting his Little Star label to take advantage of European or US demand.  I'd guess it was a late '70s or very early '80s pressing made because people from one of those scenes had contact with him, and told him of the demand.  So, he pressed them up.

Was that song played on The Northern scene?  If so, when was it hot?  Maybe that will lead you to your answer. 

It's played on the Northern Soul scene since the called "New Breed R'n'B" wave dropped-in. So not long ago. It does looks absolutely legitimate and was rather made to meet an USA market. 

I have read that in the USA, in the aftermath of American Graffiti, a lot of Rock and Roll and RnB records were repressed as there was suddenly a mainstream desire for such music. I assume this sort of interest continued as several other films based in the 50s/Early 60s with period soundtracks were made - not to forget Happy Days

I had something like that in my head. Thought maybe another "shagg" sound... but thought someone would know better.

Social source share

It's a fairly fast R&B song, and does NOT have the shag/beach or Popcorn beat.  So, I doubt that it was made for those markets.  I also doubt that it was made for the general film-related "oldies" market, as those were all big hits.  This record only did some scattered regional charting.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!