Nate Evans On Dpr

Was just browsing through John Manships auction items and noticed that he's got one of these up on his site.

I've got the same 45 but it credits Nate Evans & Mean Green rather than Nate Evans & Buss......whats the difference in value/rarity of these?

Cheers

Adam.

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Was just browsing through John Manships auction items and noticed that he's got one of these up on his site.

I've got the same 45 but it credits Nate Evans & Mean Green rather than Nate Evans & Buss......whats the difference in value/rarity of these?

Cheers

Adam.

nate evans & buss is the first issue...mean green is second issue, mean green goes for £25 / £30...buss is considerably rarer, as for value...all will be revealed at end of johns auction

Social source share

Guest andycambs

My copy (mean green) sounds a bit muffled and I'm told they're all the same, is this true?

And what about the flip then "This Time With Feeling" absolutely brilliant shades.gif

Andy

Social source share

My copy (mean green) sounds a bit muffled and I'm told they're all the same, is this true?

And what about the flip then "This Time With Feeling" absolutely brilliant :P

Andy

Mine too!!,only a fiver though :D ,didnt it come out as just Nate Evans? shades.gif and is he Welsh?

Social source share

And what about the flip then "This Time With Feeling" absolutely brilliant shades.gif

Andy

Mines a bit muffled as well.

Never played the flip before...top tune...thanks!

Social source share

Cheers

Adam.

The original copy is BUSS

the mean green copy's where pressed up due to northern demand at the time

as for value theres a Buss copy on my site for sale for £120

hope this helps

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

i seem to remember nate evans had a spell with the impressions..

He did, but they reckoned he did the worst Tommy Cooper of anyone they'd ever seen :thumbsup:wink.gif ...

Seriously, you're right, he was with Sam and Fred after Reggie Torian, who came after Ralph Johnson (who's back with 'em now) who came after Leroy Hutson - who, of course, came after Curtis...

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Your memory serves you correctly,'jctom', but he only cast his spell for a year ' 76-' 77...

theres brief

Cheers Paco

I met him in Manchester, as you do!, back in 1991ish.

Nate, along with David Sea, were singing backing for the Ruffin, Kendricks and Edwards farewell tour. I went to the Manchester Appollo gig.

We did'nt know who he was during the show but he sure was good.

Me and my mate Tats like hanging around stage doors and meeting celebraties. David Sea comes out first and is'nt all that friendly but asks for directions into Manchester and then walks off. Next comes out the other backing singer. We tell him that he was great and ask him his name. He replies Nate Evans. Tats goes "this time with feeling", he is amazed that we know the song and tells us all about the Impressions. Sadly can't remember much more other than I have a ticket signed "this time with feeling, Nate Evans".

Really top guy. The thing is, a lot of people on the Northern scene saw that tour, it even went to Lincoln, so you may have scene Nate Evans without realising it.

Did'nt meet David Ruffin though! He was dead not long after his return from the UK. What a waste.

Regards Alan

Social source share

I met him in Manchester, as you do!, back in 1991ish.

Nate, along with David Sea, were singing backing for the Ruffin, Kendricks and Edwards farewell tour. I went to the Manchester Appollo gig.

We did'nt know who he was during the show but he sure was good.

Me and my mate Tats like hanging around stage doors and meeting celebraties. David Sea comes out first and is'nt all that friendly but asks for directions into Manchester and then walks off. Next comes out the other backing singer. We tell him that he was great and ask him his name. He replies Nate Evans. Tats goes "this time with feeling", he is amazed that we know the song and tells us all about the Impressions. Sadly can't remember much more other than I have a ticket signed "this time with feeling, Nate Evans".

Really top guy. The thing is, a lot of people on the Northern scene saw that tour, it even went to Lincoln, so you may have scene Nate Evans without realising it.

Did'nt meet David Ruffin though! He was dead not long after his return from the UK. What a waste.

Regards Alan

Bloody hell, knew David Sea was backing, never realised Nate was other backing singer. Saw the tour in Doncaster.

Social source share

alan..

i seem to remember nate was also a temptation..

at least in a band named..the original lead singers of the temptations..with eddie kendricks and dennis edwards..

looks like nate and david sea on the sleeve of the cd..

think they were on tv too on summat like pebble mill at one..

bless

jc

the messiah of northern soul

Social source share

Always thought the "Buss" was just a printing error and it should really be "Boss" ?

Hence it's obscurity. Always liked this version but think John Edwards take just edges it for me.

Social source share

The two issues (the vinyl) are exactly the same. The only difference in the labels are BUSS v MEAN GREEN and different writting credits for TLOYF. Probably BUSS issue is mis-credited and hence it's withdrawal and re-issue? I dig the records out and scan them later. What are the writting credits for TLOYF on the other versions?

Social source share

The two issues (the vinyl) are exactly the same. The only difference in the labels are BUSS v MEAN GREEN and different writting credits for TLOYF. Probably BUSS issue is mis-credited and hence it's withdrawal and re-issue? I dig the records out and scan them later. What are the writting credits for TLOYF on the other versions?

Of course they the vinyl is the same, because the company would retain the master plates and repress from them. Masterplates are the most expensive part of the pressing process.

More likely Nate Evans changed the name of his band at some point, as many artists did. and when the repress was requested ("Soul Bowl" had them in 1975-ish) DPR ran it with his current band credited.

To mis-credit MEAN GREEN with BUSS is some spelling mistake.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Of course they the vinyl is the same, because the company would retain the master plates and repress from them. Masterplates are the most expensive part of the pressing process.

More likely Nate Evans changed the name of his band at some point, as many artists did. and when the repress was requested ("Soul Bowl" had them in 1975-ish) DPR ran it with his current band credited.

To mis-credit MEAN GREEN with BUSS is some spelling mistake.

I meant those who were credited as writting the song

Social source share

I knew it from Wigan. Was 'pressed' around Xmas 76, turned out to be originals. All credited to Mean Green by the way.

The very first copy ever played on the Northern Soul scene was spun by Soul Sam at Cleethorpes Pier..his copy with credited to BUSS a few more copies filtered through as I remember my copy was BUSS. Then it went massive, then it appeared from Soul Bowl credited to MEAN GREEN.

The BUSS copy I have at the moment has a much more solid print and colouring than the MEAN GREEN press but they have certainly used the same masterplate, so Mean Green is a company repro

Does anyone know the year BUSS was made?

John Edwards was 1972 credited as wrote by Floyd Smith only

James Phelps was 1971 credited as wrote by Floyd Smith, D. Chapman & Richard Tufo

Nate Evans with BUSS credited as wrote by Graham, Richard Tufo & Walker

Nate Evans with MEAN GREEN credited as wrote by Crenshaw, Floyd Smith & Richard Tufo

Music publishers on the 45s are different also, but I won't bvore yuo with that.

Very confusing!

Satin ?? not got acopy as present.

But the BUSS press these days is rarely seen..

Social source share

Does anyone know the year BUSS was made?

John Edwards was 1972 credited as wrote by Floyd Smith only

James Phelps was 1971 credited as wrote by Floyd Smith, D. Chapman & Richard Tufo

Nate Evans with BUSS credited as wrote by Graham, Richard Tufo & Walker

Nate Evans with MEAN GREEN credited as wrote by Crenshaw, Floyd Smith & Richard Tufo

Music publishers on the 45s are different also, but I won't bvore yuo with that.

Very confusing!

Satin ?? not got acopy as present.

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

Can we clear this confusion up, in your "Manship guide to Bootlegs etc "(3rd edition) John you state that Nate Evans and Boss is the original release and that on some releases it was spelt "Buss" so Nate Evans and Boss is the first and rarer release.....

Any help.........

Brett

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!