The Puffs "I Only Cry Once A Day Now"

Jim G

So, for the last few years this has sold for £26 to £143 on Ebay (see Popsike link below). BUT, now JM lists it and already it is £1,556 with 8 hours to go WTFFFFF!!! John should start selling Art and Houses he would sell them for a fortune!!

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=the+puffs&incldescr=&sortord=ddate&thumbs=&currsel=&endfrom=&endthru=&ipp=

JM Auction below

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/auction/10404/i-only-cry-once-a-day-now-moon-out-there

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I must admit that when I read the "description" I thought I was in a parallel universe.

Maybe it has suddenly become a wanted item? It has happened many times before, in that a record you see about for years and thought was plentiful, suddenly becomes in vogue and disappears because it's actually quite rare.

Or. Will loads of copies suddenly appear as people try to "cash in" on the latest hot item?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Absolutely gobsmacked . . . it's one I've had 3 or 4 times over the last 25  years . . . starting at £30 from Tim Brown's and peaking at £100 , again from Tims , all sold for a slight profit , as is the nature of the game .. . .its never been around in quantity , but all the said copies were pretty much mint condition too , ( doubt if it was the same one each time ..?? ) . . . looked in the collection , but the 'bird' had flown . . . it's a lovely record , but I bracketed it in the same category as The Whispers - You Got A Man On Your Hands and Shades of Jade - Why Does It Feel So Right . . . nice , easy on the ear records , but not dynamite . .  er , the current price tells me I REALLY do know jack shit about this astounding scene we're on . . .( good luck to whoever's item it is , obviously said with a tinge of the green eyed monster ) , but I can't lose 'em all . . . thinking back to a few weeks ago . . . I just missed out on it off Steve Frost on this very site when I bought one of the above Dores , along with Sugar & Sweet off the same list . . it was £85 if memory serves ..?? Probably wrong again . . . 

Edited by greenlight
Not finished post
Social source share

I bet that if the guy who "won it" reads this thread he'll repeat the first half of his name over and over again until he's sick.

Having said that I do have some sympathy. I first heard this from a tape in the early 80's and I thought it too poppy even for me and I had completely forgotten about it till I heard it played out last year and even before it had finished it was one of those I had to have. It eventually appeared on ebay and I must admit that my snipe was way over what I payed for it. If it had been anywhere near the JM price though it would have been one of those wants that I'll never get.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've had quite a few of these through my hands. The best bit about this track is that great big banging drum roll midway through it.

No way is it worth that kind of money and I doubt it will ever fetch anywhere near that amount in the future!  Its not that common like say Bobby Reed on Bell which in reality are ten a penny, often hyped up with sales banter!

The Puffs record is ok to hear now and again, I gave it some spins at the early Burnley niters and other places over the years, its as good as many of this style of 45 but not that great imo, it now sounds much more poppy than I remember...

Social source share

All very interesting and many views but isn't that the same for any tune classed as 'Northern Soul' they where all worth peanuts once upon a time. Could spend a week writing down big money tunes many 'Mega' oldies and played to death tracks that some people class as brill or crap, expensive or cheap, everyone has their own opinion. At least this is not common as muck. Had it years and played it out here and there always with a good reaction because is was not heard or even known by many.
 Glad I still have mine tucked away always knew it would have it's day and this proves it as someone was willing to splash out for it so they must like it to say the least I say good on em, get it played let everyone get a chance to hear something different. Wonder how many of those that are slagging it off actually have a copy, or is it just that they could have made some money and missed out, what a shame. Doesn't matter to me what a tune is worth as I don't sell, I have and play what I like with no compromise, try it !!!!!!.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!