"baby, Baby, Dont You Do It"

Gaz Simon

Can anybody out there please help me identify this?

Been playing some old tapes this week, found one with Rob's distinctive handwriting, no date on it but guess its 88/89 ish.

First track side 2.........Twanging guitar intro.....then woosh!.........uptempo, soulful, male group harmony of the VERY highest order with an insistent chorus of "baby baby, dont you do it". Sounds like its from late 60s/early 70s so would be described as crossover!

Absolutely incredible record as good as anything ive heard for donkeys years.

I cant remember this being played back in the day and i certainly havent heard it played anywhere in the last few years. Im guessing that its an acetate as a lot of the stuff on this tape are unreleased tracks.

Can anyone help?

Thanks Gaz

Social source share

unissued acetate said to be/covered up as by the "united four". think it was supposed to be a harthon acetate, hence the group name. did a small research on it couple of years ago, if i remember correctly acetate was originally played by richard searling at wigan, anyone confirm?

brill tune! whistling.gif

Social source share

Wow... i remember this... was on my tape too... can't remember anything about it except it's absolutely brilliant!!

How top was Rob Marriot..... it's only looking back that you realise exactly how many of the records that are really only making it big today... actually came from Rob all those years ago...

Awesome... youth... just awesome :thumbsup:

Social source share

Wow... i remember this... was on my tape too... can't remember anything about it except it's absolutely brilliant!!

How top was Rob Marriot..... it's only looking back that you realise exactly how many of the records that are really only making it big today... actually came from Rob all those years ago...

Awesome... youth... just awesome :thumbsup:

Jeez I miss Robs Djing - and I never knew what I was listening too when I was 18 - just KNEW he was fantastic wicked.gif

Do us a copy of that tape please Gaz - will see you next Friday - are you going to start a thread in events, and give us some directions :thumbsup:

Social source share

unissued acetate said to be/covered up as by the "united four". think it was supposed to be a harthon acetate, hence the group name. did a small research on it couple of years ago, if i remember correctly acetate was originally played by richard searling at wigan, anyone confirm?

brill tune! :thumbsup:

C/U as Leo Wright & the Eljays

Social source share

C/U as Leo Wright & the Eljays

Yep Leo Wright c/u, have we all got the same tape then Tony? Feckin good tune would love to hear it out again ranting_1.gif

I'll try and post a soundbite tommorow

Social source share

Yet again, more proof that the big fella was ahead of the game in those days! Good on ya "Youth" ranting_1.gif Anyone got the technology to put up a full version from tape?? Would love to hear it all :lol:

Social source share

YES, thats the tune, absolutely brilliant it is too!

Covered up as Leo Wright, but that is only half of the mystery solved.

Who is it then? is it a Philly/Harthon unissued track? Doesnt sound like it to me!

Does anybody know the true identity or is this to be an unsolved mystery?

If it's been played out in the past surely there must be a playable acetate out there somewhere?

Either way this is a fantastic record and, i agree, would love to hear this played out!

Social source share

Yep Leo Wright c/u, have we all got the same tape then Tony? Feckin good tune would love to hear it out again :shhh:

"Had" the same tape, Rob borrowed mine back to do some more copies, never got it back, along with a bag load of others!

YES, thats the tune, absolutely brilliant it is too!

Covered up as Leo Wright, but that is only half of the mystery solved.

Who is it then? is it a Philly/Harthon unissued track? Doesnt sound like it to me!

Does anybody know the true identity or is this to be an unsolved mystery?

If it's been played out in the past surely there must be a playable acetate out there somewhere?

Either way this is a fantastic record and, i agree, would love to hear this played out!

Still owned by Richard Searling

Social source share

"Had" the same tape, Rob borrowed mine back to do some more copies, never got it back, along with a bag load of others!

Hi Tony,

remember the tapes well think i had two of them included stuff like SANDY GOLDEN, THE SWEETS, PATTI AUSTIN, DARRELL BANKS, FOUR GENTS DIANE LEWIS- YOU AIN'T GOT A CHANCE ? STANDING IN THE NEED OF LOVE TRACK I CAN'T REMEMBER AT THE MOMENT.

Anyway will have to try and find them hope i haven't throw them, moved last year and threw aload of tapes out ( will i ever learn)

Hope Rob is keeping well, used to love his sets ,so into the music and always liked a little dance if i remember rightly

cheers

Andy Mann

Still owned by Richard Searling

Social source share

Had this on a tape for 20 + years, taken off Richard Searlings then weekly Soul Sauce show on radio hallam (Sheffield). A few years back i requested this on Searlings Jazz FM show via e-mail (asking a few questions along the way about who Leo Wright really was) Richard replied via the show that it was an unissued Philly acetate and the conspiracy theories he could kick up about this one...........(Plus it was played at Clifton hall.because i danced to it.)

Edited by Brett
Social source share

That's fantastic sound quality for a tape. You could deffo get a good playable cut off that. :unsure:

The clip I posted is one that I have in I tunes - cannot remember where I go it from (Could be Soul Talk I dunno) :thumbsup:

The RM tape I've got is sh1te quality :wicked: Still sounds good in the car though

Social source share

If this is the same tape that I've got ( other tracks - Professionals, Gallahads, Metros, Tranells etc ) Rob asked me to copy it a while ago cos he'd lost his. He promised me a full listing of it but he's gone back into scarlet pimpernel mode and I havent been able to contact him. If I get one I'll post it up.

By the way he did a spot for us at the Attic in Mansfield a couple of months ago with their Chris' records, he was on top form - more like his old self than for a long time. :ohmy:

Top yowth :ohmy:

Social source share

Just dug out some of Rob's tapes, found the one with the Leo Wright cover up on, includes stuff like Vidells, Sandy Golden, Leo Costa acetate, Four Count's Loveland, Explosive Dynamiks, Trannels, Spencer Wiggins Talk It Over, Johnny Taylor Love On A Lease Plan and others. Other tapes have all the other biggies he got from Keb and Jimmy Wensiora, Charmaines, Patti Austin Always Be In Style etc.

One record on the tape I can't remember who it is? starts off "I think your the most beautiful girl in the world"

goes on to say "I'm beginning to think your anybody's girl"

voice sounds a bit like Johnny McCrae (I LIke That Girl), could be t'other side....

Only Butch better than Rob IMHO at one stage.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Just dug out some of Rob's tapes, found the one with the Leo Wright cover up on, includes stuff like Vidells, Sandy Golden, Leo Costa acetate, Four Count's Loveland, Explosive Dynamiks, Trannels, Spencer Wiggins Talk It Over, Johnny Taylor Love On A Lease Plan and others. Other tapes have all the other biggies he got from Keb and Jimmy Wensiora, Charmaines, Patti Austin Always Be In Style etc.

One record on the tape I can't remember who it is? starts off "I think your the most beautiful girl in the world"

voice sounds a bit like Johnny McCrae (I LIke That Girl), could be t'other side....

Only Butch better than Rob IMHO at one stage. had the same tape of rob back in 92 recently had the leo wright track cut and playing it out gary rushbrooke used to play this at stafford as well

Social source share

HAD SOME CRAZY NIGHTS WITH THE BIG LAD [HIS TASTE WAS IMPECCABLE]LOVED HIS PHILLY SOUL,STOPPED HIM GETTING BEAT UP ONCE AT THE SHOTTS NIGHTER ARGUEING WITH SOME ROUGH SCOTTISH LADS ABOUT THE MINERS STRIKE.THIS TAPE IS WELL DOCUMENTED AND RIGHTLY SO,HE DROPPED OFF FOR HIS OWN REASONS BUT BOY IS HE MISSED!

BAZ A.

Social source share

Yes it's the other side of 'I like that girl' on DC. Thinking of selling it, any idea of current value?

Social source share

Johnny Beggs often plays the "Baby, baby don't you do it" in his sets, and I think this is a slightly different cut to the one Searling has/had. As far as who it is, I've done a bit of digging amongst the great & good in the "Philly" music scene, and they've never heard it, or have the foggiest who it is......at the moment. I like it, but I feel that the cut "Johnny" has, is a little under produced, which I adore.

Des Parker

Social source share

• 16 years later...

The guy who has the Harthon catalogue lives in my village, Paul Mooney, he confirmed to me it's The United Four, a take they did and canned obviously releasing the more polished take on Harthon, listen to the actual release, voice for voice, the exact same personel that's on the Leo Wright c/up

Kev

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!