Chuck Cockerham review in Blues and Soul

Rick Cooper

Came across this review in the March 1969 issue of Blues and Soul of the Chuck Cocherham Have I The Right single. It's right at the end of the Bell Sounds list and says it will be "immediately forgotten". Well not completely as went it  for £1500 this year. 

563bbde373b61_chuckc.thumb.jpg.46b496c99

I tend to agree with the review but others may have another opinion, what's yours?

Rick

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

Came across this review in the March 1969 issue of Blues and Soul of the Chuck Cocherham Have I The Right single. It's right at the end of the Bell Sounds list and says it will be "immediately forgotten". Well not completely as went it  for £1500 this year. 

563bbde373b61_chuckc.thumb.jpg.46b496c99

I tend to agree with the review but others may have another opinion, what's yours?

Rick

The review is right. It was just another song at the time and wouldn't have punched through back then. There were too many better records competing for attention. The only scene that would give a record like this the subsequent recognition is the UK Soul scene. A good thing I think......

Ian D :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

50 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Cant read it Rick... but I think its a killer.. tastes are different now.. far more open I think...

Mal

Sorry , small print. Review is;

Easy going offering from Chuck Cockerham lacks dynamite and is destined to be just one of the many issues that are immediately forgotten (Mala 12036 Flip; Hey There).

In 1969 things were getting a bit more funky so the reviewer was maybe comparing it to the newer harder records coming out. Just shows how some records eventually get their day in the spotlight.

Rick

Social source share

Many years ago at some all-nighter somewhere in the Midlands, an old buddy of mine John Weston and I were involved in a pretty deep conversation about the decline of the Scottish cod population throughout the years 1930-1950.

Part way through the subject of vinyl records somehow filtered into the flow of things.

I mentioned Chuck Cockerham.

John said "Don't ever play the flip side - it's Country & Western".

I was scarred mentally.

And I've never mentioned it till now.

It was my guilty secret.

Tell me it's not true.

Derek

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have a copy of the Nomads on Ripete, its a basic re-recording of Have I Got a Right done for the beach music scene, I was told that its Chuck on lead vocals and was recorded to cash in on the northern & beach scenes when the original tapes could not be found.

Chuck was in the Drifters in the late 70s

Was Bell sounds a regular feature in B&S?

Social source share

10 hours ago, sjclement said:

I have a copy of the Nomads on Ripete, its a basic re-recording of Have I Got a Right done for the beach music scene, I was told that its Chuck on lead vocals and was recorded to cash in on the northern & beach scenes when the original tapes could not be found.

Chuck was in the Drifters in the late 70s

Was Bell sounds a regular feature in B&S?

sj

The first Bell Sounds review I could find was from March 1968 and ran to the last monthly Blues and Soul of November 1969. When the mag went fortnightly in 1970 the Bell reviews were dropped but they started the Contempo Record Club which offered any single or LP from the US charts at 8/6d and 38/6d each.

As well as reviewing Bell group singles they also did some US Chess and Stax releases. The singles weren't generally available, even if they were my pocket money and Saturday job only stretched to a couple of singles a week.

Rick

Social source share

22 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

sj

The first Bell Sounds review I could find was from March 1968 and ran to the last monthly Blues and Soul of November 1969. When the mag went fortnightly in 1970 the Bell reviews were dropped but they started the Contempo Record Club which offered any single or LP from the US charts at 8/6d and 38/6d each.

As well as reviewing Bell group singles they also did some US Chess and Stax releases. The singles weren't generally available, even if they were my pocket money and Saturday job only stretched to a couple of singles a week.

Rick

School dinner money didn't go too far either:(

John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!