UK Oriole American releases

Recently seen listed on a well known site The Miracles - You Really Got A Hold On Me - UK Oriole American 45-CBA 1795, so decided to check my copy out. I noticed that in the dead wax, as well as having UK stamping there is also the 'nashville main' stamp. The Contours - Shake heery (45-CBA 1799) also has 'nashville main' and Do You Love Me (45-CBA 1763 has 'Bell Sound'). Others I have on said label, Fingertips Pt1 , etc, do not have these markings though.

Just wondered why these stamps are in dead wax and are there any other UK releases that have them.

Just curious and any info appreciated. Regards.

Edited by theothertosspot
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi,

It's understood that Oriole used the original American stampers to press these in the UK, hence the Bell Sound / Nashville Matrix stamps in the dead wax.

Beacon did the same when they released "Ain't Nothin' But A Houseparty" by The Showstoppers in the UK.  A Frankford Wayne stamp can be seen in the dead wax.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Some British Sue label records have the Bell Sounds stamp. Without going through them all I have found that this applies to The Soul Sisters ,I can't stand it and Jimmy Mcgriff, Last Minute. I alway's thought this was because Island used the original US pressing plates.

Edited by britishbarry
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!