When was the term "rare and underplayed" introduced?

Hi,

I can't remember the term rare & underplayed being used until fairly recently. Can someone enlighten me as to how it came about please? it was simply northern or rare soul back then.  I guess it's used to make people aware that if you go to an event of this description you're not going to get (many of) the top 500 played (in other words stay away if you only like the predictable stuff)

Thanks

Mark C:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not really a term that was introduced but two catch phrases that have been around for decades. When you think about it, the records we like are all relative scarce, rare, holy grails and hens' teeth etc... Tape swappers back in the 80's compiled 'underplayed' tunes that they had stumbled on before others but this must have been happening since the invention of the cassette player. Rare soul is a term now being used more by progressive promoters who attempt to diversify the DJ line-up with RnB, Funk, Modern and anything else vaguely danceable... when the punters tire of this hotch-potch approach, maybe the scene will return to normal and play Northern oldies or Northern oldies, newies and rarities.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Years back when I first started the rarer soul events in Bradford, I used the term 'rarer & underplayed' to differentiate from the same old same records which were constantly being regurgitated in the area.

I noticed a few months later that some events were using the same term on flyers etc, a few mates mentioned this to me, but I think imitation is flattery and I grinned to myself.  Now I see the term weekly....

If you have been to one of my events, you will understand the difference between a handbaggers night and a proper soul night..
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

15 hours ago, soul45s said:
Years back when I first started the rarer soul events in Bradford, I used the term 'rarer & underplayed' to differentiate from the same old same records which were constantly being regurgitated in the area.

I noticed a few months later that some events were using the same term on flyers etc, a few mates mentioned this to me, but I think imitation is flattery and I grinned to myself.  Now I see the term weekly....

If you have been to one of my events, you will understand the difference between a handbaggers night and a proper soul night..

Remmember you saying it at the time paul ....... morley carr brilliant venue  but a wanker of a steward that ran it  happydays!!!:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

To be fair, rare and underplayed don't necessarily go hand in hand. Yes, you have your rarities and that has always been the case for over 40 years, just under different decades. Underplayed is my favourite, as it refers to so many 45's across the board, all carrying different price tags but ooze class and epitomize true soul... I adore hearing the underplayed, forgotten gems. Just saying like ?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding of records considered underplayed is that they are thus because they're NOT rare and therefore not so appealing to those who  measure a record's status by it's rarity rather than its quality.

I love records for what pleasure they give me regardless of monitery value.

I applaud any DJ who plays what he/she believes deserves to be included in a playlist because it's GOOD!

I also understand the reality that a lot of the best examples of Northern, Crossover, Modern just happen to be dog rare. But the underplayed deserve to be heard if good enough.

Is it also possible that many a tape-swappers 'underplayed' recommendations from 5, 10, 15, however many years ago were slowly hoovered up because of their quality, and that many had the foresight to see that the 'scenes' tastes and styles would eventually change and evolve and those old cheapies were the future?

Just sayin'!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!