lifeline

Was going to do an article this weekend.  Andy and Mick have decided enough is enough for now.  A few factors having an effect but Lifeline will return next year hopefully, smaller venue a change to the music direction and a 4am finish.  I've retired now as a resident and Mick says there will be other changes to the line up.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

BAD NEWS>>>>>>>>>>>i havent been able to attend the last couple due to family commitments around the dates ...the events held under this banner  which i went to at all the  various venues  were truly a great contribution to the rare ,quality and under the radar soul scene recently enhanced by the pow wow addition.

Had some fabulous nites out and some very hard weeks at work following those weekends..:wicked:..... THANKS TO ALL FOR KEEPING ON SO LONG........COME BACK SOON GUYS...ez

• Helpful 3
Social source share

It's not good for Northern Soul full stop.

If 2 or 3 real events that stick to the ethos close we're left with a Darby and Joan replica which looks nothing like any Northern scene I've been on.

Social source share

14 hours ago, Quinvy said:

Everything has a shelf life, and everything must end. That's life.

Otherwise you end up like the Derby and Joan scene you despise so much.

Despise? Far too emotive; mildly embarrassed by would be a more apt description.

I don't agree that Lifeline had reached a shelf life that would make it indistinguishable from the nostalgia scene, that's why I'll wait with interest to see what the future holds.

Social source share

Thank you & well done boys for creating one of the great nighters.

Better to step back take a breath & re-evaluate,then come back with batteries recharged rather then going on doing some thing you don't enjoy.

Good luck with the new Lifeline in the future.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, chalky said:

Whilst everything does have a lifespan I personally don't think Lifeline had reached the end of its.  Other factors played their part in is demise.  There were still enough 60's unknowns and semi knowns although it is/was practically impossible to do a full set these days never mind a full night.  Those paying their money didn't seem to want traditional type 60's newies which is a shame.  It is demoralising to see an empty dance floor to some truly brilliant 60's discoveries, Andy's Sam Williams acetate being one recent discovery only to see the funky stuff fill the floor  It isn't for me the funky stuff, many weren't good enough years ago and are still not good enough.  Don't get me wrong there is some good stuff out there but there is far too much average at best in amongst it.....my opinion of course but many seem to get played cause they are either rare or different for the sake of being different..  I know it isn't the direction Andy wanted Lifeline to go in, not sure about Mick, maybe he will comment when he sees this, hopefully Andy will as well....

It is a sad indictment of the scene that there isn't room for a club like Lifeline, many records played there have filtered down to the so called nostalgia side of the scene.  But the whole nighter scene is either looking back or moving towards the funky side of soul.  Far too many treating the night out purely social with many sitting outside (weather permitting), some not even entering the venue yet paying their money.  Yes all love the music but the music is coming second for many where as it should be first for the future of the nighter scene (by that I mean away from the commercial ventures) to flourish.  By and large the nighter scene is an ageing scene and it is beginning to show more and more.

As Andy and Mick have said, Lifeline will return, smaller venue, earlier finish and a music policy that reflects the desires of Andy and Mick, when it does return it needs the support to continue well into the future.

Bang on Chalky. I'm saving 'wetting the baby's head' night out until the new Lifeline rises from the ashes.

Social source share

When did you last see a playlist for Andy, Mick, Cliff, Butch, Sam and many others who are at the top of the upfront game?  I've not seen a playlist for Lifeline for some years now.  Most of the playlists I see are from Dj's behind the curve wanting to show off expensive purchases.

I agree the quantity isn't there anymore, some imagination is needed.  I agree the quality isn't there either in some cases but some DJ's are still playing decent unknowns and semi unknowns.  At the end of the day though it is irrelevant.

Lifeline will be back after a break, refreshed and ready to further the cause.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

When did you last see a playlist for Andy, Mick, Cliff, Butch, Sam and many others who are at the top of the upfront game?  I've not seen a playlist for Lifeline for some years now.  Most of the playlists I see are from Dj's behind the curve wanting to show off expensive purchases.

I agree the quantity isn't there anymore, some imagination is needed.  I agree the quality isn't there either in some cases but some DJ's are still playing decent unknowns and semi unknowns.  At the end of the day though it is irrelevant.

Lifeline will be back after a break, refreshed and ready to further the cause.

But the reason that people are sitting outside and talking is that they have heard it all before. Bloody hell, I was off the scene for twenty years but it didn't take me long to get bored of the same old people playing the same old records when I started going out again.

Some people have been active on the scene non stop since the seventies. How the hell they keep motivated is beyond me.

I don't like the funk, but I understand why lots do. It's something new and fresh, and no matter how good the records you play are, if folk have heard them many times before they aren't gonna jump up and dance. 

Good luck with the new venture, but don't call it Lifeline, new name, new beginning.

Edited by Quinvy
Social source share

Hi Chalky,

‘Re-branding’ is done for good reason (I’ve done it many times) ‘Same coffee / different jar’ most definitely creates fresh interest (New ideas follow that for some reason)

I’m not saying changing the name is crucial though (there’s a lot more to a ‘brand’ than just a name)

One suggestion for your consideration - You could put on a heavily promoted ‘Life-line Final Night’ to celebrate what the team and everyone who has supported it over the years have been a part of. Never forget, it was during a very difficult time for the Rare Soul Scene (The 100 Club also struggled for a while during this period)

If you have the motivation to re-think things and move forward, well that’s great - and good luck!

Oh, if by chance ‘Afterlife-line’ (You’re welcome to use that btw) goes from strength to strength the moment you personally have announced you are stepping back from D.Jing - Try not to focus on it! :rofl: he he x

‘ave a rest first :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - Feel free to call my promoters help-line, we meet every month - Lot’s do struggle with the initial rejection, but talking really helps. Our next P.A (Promoters Anonymous) meeting is next Tuesday at the church hall :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, ljblanken said:

just curious (as I live over in California), what are some of the offending funk tunes that are creeping in?

Good question, I haven't been to Lifeline since it finished at the stables, so I would also like to know

some of the titles of these offending 'funk' tunes that have killed Lifeline

Social source share

PS, those that are now saying 'that's it, I'm not going any more', 'this is the end for me' etc, etc. Sounds very like the end of the 70's when many stopped going only to return many years later and to be heard saying, 'I wish I was around in the 80's I missed some many sounds being played', 'I had stopped going when all this great crossover stuff started getting played' and other such remarks. embrace change and give all soul music styles a chance.

Lastly if you take the time to read Andy's post elsewhere fully you will see that this was only a small part of why it ended, a major part was that he felt that many of you abandoned Lifeline for other venues or simply stopped supporting it.

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Dave Thorley said:

Lastly if you take the time to read Andy's post elsewhere fully you will see that this was only a small part of why it ended, a major part was that he felt that many of you abandoned Lifeline for other venues or simply stopped supporting it.

Where's Andys' post Dave? (I haven't seen it)

I personally don't think anyone has abandoned Life-line, but if some have (or any venue for that matter) a promoter should ask himself why? (Looking inwards, not outwards), speak to people, and address any feed-back they think necessary / helpful....It's hard for some people to give constructive criticism / their opinions if they're not sure how it will be received. 

As always too many venues is a big factor - That in itself tells me that 4 All-nighters (of this type / size) a year is the most you could ever expect to be well enough attended. 

But yes Dave, it's not The Apocalypse - It's a positive that people care :wink:

I'll get the funk out of here now :D

Social source share

No one has said funk killed Lifeline.  Many factors are involved, certainly the support is an important one.  But I know for a fact that then current trends musically were also a factor, Andy has said as much above in his post from the Club's FB page and also to me personally in discussions we both had.  Also it appeared that traditional style 60's dancers seemed to be going out of favour, again Andy says this above.  I personally got a lot of complaints about the funky stuff, and as I said it isn't personally to my taste and that wasn't just my opinion either.  As said there are venues that cater well for the funky stuff run by a great set of lads.  But I also got complaints about too many slow records at certain times of the night, complaints about 70's, too many oldies etc etc, you can never please anyone all the time let alone a couple of 100.  

I don't know who has said they are not going anywhere anymore?

Lifeline isn't dead, it is taking a break, taking stock and it will be back refreshed and ready to do what it did best.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

53 minutes ago, trentsoulman said:

Ok,on Saturday ,i had my Quality of Soul rare soul night,packed to the Rafters,so in took the Opportunity to ask quite a few of Lifeline attendees on the night

what was missing ,what can we do,etc had some good feedback from quite a few of them.Andy was there on the night,and must say nice to see him foot tap

having a great night,also  Andy did a fab set of rare 60,s at the last lifeline and to empty floor  i find this a total disgrace to one of uks top rare soul djs

so,moan over let me move on ,i have noticed a big divide  in Lifeline over the last year a split crowd ,is it there is a bit to much disco & funk people staying away because of it ?these are the issues me and Andy discussed again on sat night,

so there will be a few changes to Lifeline first a smaller venue ,a change to the residency line up,and lastly a 8pm to 4am finish

the music policy will back to 60,s & 70s rare and underplayed ,we will return but for now we are taking a break untill spring or summer next year

with a new venue,which i currently having talks with the managment

also Saturday Feb 27th i will be using our Lifeline Date for my Quality of soul rare night,to be held at  the Irish club ,wilford road ,Nottm

My Guests will be Andy Dyson & Arthur Fenn,joining me and Mark Hopes & Nige Mayfield ,8pm till 4am

please feel free to come up to Myself and Andy and tell us what you feel and what missing,we will take will take on board your comments 

after all you are the ones that support us and we feel you have a say in Lifeline to

wishing you all a merry xmas and best for 2016

Mick H

If your night is "packed to the rafters" Mick, you must be doing something right. So why do you need another night?

Sorry, just don't get it.

Social source share

As i was banging some bricks down today i was thinking about lifeline. There have been some really good nights there, few people said to me there they where playing to much funk. I personally didn’t think so, just a good mixture all round. I do like my raw 60s and under play. I done a couple of nights at grumpy's musics superber. Its a long way to go for a mini nighter. Grumpy's reminded me of the early days of sherridians. whoever picks the djs should know what their music policies is. Imo i think grumpys and the 100club just got it right. A break from life line will do every one good. Give it about 8weeks lol. come back as life line part 2. you big boys know whats going on ill leave it in your hands. cheers billy ps i forgot to mention burnley top nights there also

• Helpful 1
Social source share

50 minutes ago, Dave Thorley said:

Hi Steve 

I hear where your coming from, but this just goes to demonstrate that for promoters it is a impossible task. I've heard on more than one occasion about the same venue these sort of comments.

'I love these 8-2 events best as we can't stay up late anymore'

'Love to come to your venue, but not going to travel if it's isn't an allnighter'

or on music policy, same venue

'We had a great night, but a few to many oldies'

'We had a great time, but a little to much of this new funky stuff'

I know many years ago, was many years ago, but back then we were just grateful to have somewhere to go. If a DJ played something I didn't like I'd just wonder off and chat to some mates or go look through sales boxes. Nowdays it seems like people want the whole night to be exactly what they want or nothing, what happened to tolerance.

That was fine when there was only one nighter on in the country. Competition is fierce now and people are spoilt for choice.

Social source share

Sorry to hear Life lines taking a break not been to any since the move from the stables due to work commitments  , but live and die by the ethos that Mick and Andy set out with . I did a revue of the second nighter they did at Sheridans  it's on here some were  will try and find it . but to me the musical policy never changed .It's just that over the years  musical tastes have changed . Looking forward to see where the New venue in Nottingham will be in the new year

Social source share

im truly sorry to hear of the temporary end to lifeline..

as an allnighter promoter i know how hard it is to get an event going and even harder sustain it over a contant time..

i ve said many times i take my hat off to promoters who put their hard earned money into events,,its not easy and they have my total respect  (i still dread the coop thinking is anyone gonna come)

as people know im not a big r n b ,latin or slow funk  fan but respect others that do and as a dancer ill always try  and support the djs where i can

had many a good night at lifeline,,the promoters are good honest soulies trying to put on a class event

hope it returns bigger and better

atb

mark

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Great night run by top guys, the times i managed to get up to it (and especially at the Stables) i had a brilliant time to the best records you could want to hear regardless of r&b, funk, northern, yadda yadda. Here is hoping it is back with a bang asap. Huge thanks to Mick, Andy & Chalky for the hard work and amazing records throughout.

Best,

Joel

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 9 November 2015 17:02:48, billywhizz said:

As i was banging some bricks down today i was thinking about lifeline. There have been some really good nights there, few people said to me there they where playing to much funk. I personally didn’t think so, just a good mixture all round. I do like my raw 60s and under play. I done a couple of nights at grumpy's musics superber. Its a long way to go for a mini nighter. Grumpy's reminded me of the early days of sherridians. whoever picks the djs should know what their music policies is. Imo i think grumpys and the 100club just got it right. A break from life line will do every one good. Give it about 8weeks lol. come back as life line part 2. you big boys know whats going on ill leave it in your hands. cheers billy ps i forgot to mention burnley top nights there also

I couldn't possibly comment on what's happened since the stables as I've not been since, but I was fairly regular at the stables. I have had some of my best nights out musically at lifeline as I'd always go home having heard something new which I found very refreshing. As Billy has said above about Grumpys which is a long way for a 4am finish but again it was musically a great night, if the quality is there doesn't matter about the distance in my book. Hopefully you will get the right crowd as Grumpys does from what I saw, it's a strange time for any soul promoter I'm guessing & I suppose it's not hard to get disillusioned in the current climate. I'm sure whatever form it takes it will be a success for whoever whatever your catering for 

Edited by rasfoz
Social source share

……”Instead of going to ‘A N Oldies’ event this weekend, let’s try one of them there Upfront events, I’m always hearing we should at least give them a go as they just want to share more great sounds with us”……….”Ok, let’s do it!”………..

………..”Well this is pretty good isn’t it? This record’s amazing I wonder what it is”……….”Go and ask”………”Ok, I will”…………

…………..

…………..”And?”…………..”He wouldn’t tell me, and on top of that, he’s covered the label up so I couldn’t look to see what it was!”……….

:D

Have a good weekend wherever you go folks :wink:

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, LEN said:

………..”Well this is pretty good isn’t it? This record’s amazing I wonder what it is”……….”Go and ask”………”Ok, I will”…………

Len

That's wishful thinking,more like..........."Don't know this it's shit............where never coming here again" :wicked:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, hullsoul said:

Len

That's wishful thinking,more like..........."Don't know this it's shit............where never coming here again" :wicked:

Cheers

Martyn

Sadly there's truth in that. I remember ages ago before I went to Lifeline someone described the records I liked, which weren't that unusual I think, as "London sh*t".

• Helpful 3
Social source share

On 11/9/2015, 11:06:03, Dave Thorley said:

When I said 'elsewhere' I meant not on this site .......... But anyway here is his full set of comments in a post elsewhere

Good day to everyone.. After speaking to Mick , Mace and Chalky we have decided to make the October Lifeline the last one. Many factors have contrubuted to our decision , in particular the saturation of the callender in general - most niters have a " something different " room also the upfront soul nights (there was one on same night as lifeline in October)... then there is the weekenders which all have side rooms. Looking back when we were at the Stables we had a full house of upfront and oldies crowd, all embracing great music then along came Bridlington weekender , this in reality killed lifeline for good half of our regulars drove past the Stables to go to Brid (fine it's a free country) when i spoke to one of the promoters about it he said well it was either clash with 100 club or you ! I said why not move to another date ? shrugged shoulders was the reply one of his partners offered for Lifeline to run a theme room or some of our djs to play there ... I'd sooner show my arse in Binns window on a Saturday afternoon i said. Another factor is the changes in musical trends Lifeline was and is about multiple styles of quality music but the present funky style that is at its height is fine in moderation but not what we are about besides Burnley and Soul-Funktion caters for that genre admirably with great lads behind it - we don't want to be either of those places obviously. The writing is on the wall when in our view great upfront northern and 70's 45's are leaving the floor empty it really is that simple. As it goes i collect and own many of these current trend 45's but i think they should complement not control the environment ( at Lifeline in any case) All that to one side the introduction of fresh plays to the larger mainstream venues was always one of the reasons for Lifeline and hopefully we introduced a few, i certainly have concerns as to which venues will filter good new northern through, after all that is what enables progression and longevity for the scene ? There has to be room for maybe a 8 till 4am venue that can play good quality northern / stafford stuff , a joint that holds 70 people, in reality that is the top and bottom of it,it always was and always will be.We had some cracking nights of madness and are gratefull to all the folk who turned out and all the dj's who played + the many folk who helped out and of course the long suffering ladies Wendy Rawson ,Mandy Walker and more recently Denise Ray North. Mick ,mace and chalky may have a word to add but that's my take ..
Oh yeh thank fuck i no longer have to listen to mick and chalkys cover ups and endure having my arse burned by Allan Coney well at least not untill next time we are out !

Firstly Andy I'd like to point out that the Bridlington weekender has been running for 10 years this coming summer & also only clashes once a year with your events that are over 150 miles away so to blame them is surely a bit of a slow death I think.
Secondly Andy none of the Bridlington promoters said anything about a clash with either you or the 100 club at all (my source? A Bridlington Weekender promoter on the phone tonight).
Thirdly you may have made a comment about showing your arse in a shop window at some time but you certainly did not say it to their face when they offered your event a room at their weekender (my source again was from the horses mouth as mentioned above).

Edited by Cunnie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!