Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Andy Mac

Turntable on a budget recommendations ?

Evening all.

Looking to get a new turntable but don't want to donate a testicle to buy it. Not really into the high spec stuff so thought I'd ask the experts for your suggestions on something simple under 200 quid ?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Andy

3 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

Evening all.

Looking to get a new turntable but don't want to donate a testicle to buy it. Not really into the high spec stuff so thought I'd ask the experts for your suggestions on something simple under 200 quid ?

Andy

Pro-ject Essential II.  Slightly over budget at £209 but worth the money.

The project might have a slight edge on quality but unless you only play 45s I'd get a numark, they do some decent direct drive turntables at under 200 some of the cheaper ones are a bit plasticy maybe but they are hard to beat for the price + they have a 33/45 switch unlike the project.  You can always get a better cartridge / stylus too if the one it comes with is a bit basic.

I'm no expert but this looks pretty good - Audio Technica ATLP120USBC USB Turntable. I'd be interested to hear anyone else's views on it.

Manually changing the belt to change the speed on other turntables seems like a right pain in the neck to me.

Edited by daved

2 hours ago, daved said:

I'm no expect but this looks pretty good - Audio Technica ATLP120USBC USB Turntable. I'd be interested to hear anyone else's views on it.

Manually changing the belt to change the speed on other turntables seems like a right pain in the neck to me.

Changing the speed is a case of flipping the belt between the drive pulleys, which takes a second, probably the same amount of time as changing the position of the speed selector switch.

On 07/11/2015, 18:16:35, Andy Mac said:

Evening all.

Andy

You should be able to pick up a JB Systems deck for about £150 - 200 I have JB deck had it for 15+ years, albeit a more expensive model. Good luck.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/record-players/jb-systems-q3-usb-direct-drive-turntable

Edited by Chris L

5 hours ago, daved said:

I'm no expect but this looks pretty good - Audio Technica ATLP120USBC USB Turntable. I'd be interested to hear anyone else's views on it.

Yep for that budget, this turntable gets consistently good reviews, tend to get quite a few listed on ebay. Have also noticed maplins had a couple of Numarks on display at around £150. Denons are not bad either, again these are all budget sub £200 turntables.

If it's for home use and on a tight budget, most newer turntables like the Audio Technica 120 do have inbuilt phono-stage* (check it out first ) so you can connect direct to powered speakers without the need for a seperate amp. There is also a Audio Technica 60, which is still worth a look at and much cheaper.

Edited by 50 Shades

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎02‎:‎54‎:‎53, Andreas B said:

Look in the second hand ads for an old Dual or Thorens deck. You can sometimes find them for a sweet deal and they're built like most things German, for life. 

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎19‎:‎55‎:‎47, thecivilservice said:

The project might have a slight edge on quality but unless you only play 45s I'd get a numark, they do some decent direct drive turntables at under 200 some of the cheaper ones are a bit plasticy maybe but they are hard to beat for the price + they have a 33/45 switch unlike the project.  You can always get a better cartridge / stylus too if the one it comes with is a bit basic.

5 hours ago, Chris L said:

You should be able to pick up a JB Systems deck for about £150 - 200 I have JB deck had it for 15+ years, albeit a more expensive model. Good luck.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/record-players/jb-systems-q3-usb-direct-drive-turntable

3 hours ago, 50 Shades said:

Yep for that budget, this turntable gets consistently good reviews, tend to get quite a few listed on ebay. Have also noticed maplins had a couple of Numarks on display at around £150. Denons are not bad either, again these are all budget sub £200 turntables.

If it's for home use and on a tight budget, most newer turntables like the Audio Technica 120 do have inbuilt phono-stage* (check it out first ) so you can connect direct to powered speakers without the need for a seperate amp. There is also a Audio Technica 60, which is still worth a look at and much cheaper.

Thanks Guys.  I eventually went for a Reloop 1000 as it had pretty good reviews and was a "novice" level deck. But I've hit a problem now its been delivered.

I bought a second hand NAD Amp 3120 which is supposed to be one of the classics, but on looking at the turntable the RCA outputs have a different connection to the amplifier RCA's. The amp has taller cone shaped inputs whereas the Reloop has the newer RCA jack with the metal edge around the top where it meets the plastic. This means it doesn't push in correctly. The only solutions I can see are to find out if there are any adaptor sets or a new amplifier. The Reloop output cables seem to be fixed into the deck and not changeable.

Any advice or pointers on if adaptors are available and if not amplifier recommendations please ?

Cheers

Andy

23 hours ago, daved said:

I'm no expert but this looks pretty good - Audio Technica ATLP120USBC USB Turntable. I'd be interested to hear anyone else's views on it.

I've had one of these for 12 months now and they are a very good entry level deck, paid £249, very similar looking to a technics 1210 with all the same features , my only gripe is with the stylus/ cartridge set up, shite basically, I changed it to an ortofon pro s which is very easy to do, it looks very nice now connected to my denon amp and wharfdale speakers.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts