Selling my Collection

Guest Stubborn Heart

Guest Stubborn Heart

Soul Sourcers, 

Unfortunately, I'm having a tough time and have got to shift a lot of my collection. I don't know where to begin - it's a mixture of some real rarities at one end and some Tamla/Stax etc at the other. Would you recommend Discogs / Ebay / any others I should look into? Also is it wise to sell job lot or try to split them up. Any help is appreciated :) About 200 in all.

Social source share

Sorry to hear you may have to sell some of your cherished records.Most of us have been there,at one time or another.If you have some really rare stuff in good nick,you could send them to auction with someone like John Manship.Have done this myself in the past,and even after commission have been really pleased with what i got.The cheaper stuff you could try in sales on here,and ebay as you suggested.I would try to sell individually,at least to start with.Hope you at least get a good price for them,to help soften the blow of having to sell.Best Donna.

Social source share

6 hours ago, Stubborn Heart said:

Soul Sourcers, 

Unfortunately, I'm having a tough time and have got to shift a lot of my collection. I don't know where to begin - it's a mixture of some real rarities at one end and some Tamla/Stax etc at the other. Would you recommend Discogs / Ebay / any others I should look into? Also is it wise to sell job lot or try to split them up. Any help is appreciated :) About 200 in all.

The way things are going I'd say Ebay, if they will allow you to list that many items I'd do it. What you will find is that the more rarer, in demand items will pull the lesser desirable along with them. In any case good luck, you should try here too.

Social source share

i'm in the middle of selling my collection too - i have found discogs fabulous - ebay has been shite. if you have rare stuff try selling on FB rare sales page, and ehre of course - again i have had some great sales that way. Good luck

Social source share

11 hours ago, Stubborn Heart said:

Soul Sourcers, 

If you can make a list (or even photograph them) send it to me, I'll value them for you and make you an offer, or if not for me I can point you in the right direction

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Sold my collection in  1999{pre -discogs ebay} as time was a factor,strapped for cash and leaving blighty.ilisted the lot the good the bad and the pressings! Posted them off to all the dealers for aone off cash price>No cherry picking,despite that moast tried to buy the good {Rca ,Mgm ,Okeh,epic Demos} telling me oldies did not sell,offering 40% of market price, The best deal was Pat Brady who gave 60% cash no hassle took the lot,Flight cases and all. Icould not imagine selling onthe web with all the shipping, returns,Whinging and hassle,So my advice Steve your friendly neighbourhood  dealers. Be Lucky !

Social source share

18 hours ago, Stubborn Heart said:

Soul Sourcers, 

Sorry to hear your current plight. I sold my collection a few years back ( which I regret ) but for no other reason that I had stopped DJ,ing and wanted then to go to good homes that would ensure that they still got played out and about. which in hindsight was a bit naïve , I had no control where they went. But I did sell them to a well known record dealer who gave me a very fair price ( :hatsoff2:) for the complete collection. I could have sold the top one hundred tunes I had twenty times over but then I would have been left trawling round nighters to try and shift the others, even though they where all originals and worth money . I just couldn't be bothered.

The choice is entirely a personal one. Good Luck

Steve

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Cunnie said:

Sorry for stating the bloody obvious but you can advertise them on here via the sales forum for free.

Ha! 

For some reason I feel compelled to reply in the following vein Cunnie.

"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off". Funny that.

:elvis:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, conchitta said:

Sold my collection in  1999{pre -discogs ebay} as time was a factor,strapped for cash and leaving blighty.ilisted the lot the good the bad and the pressings! Posted them off to all the dealers for aone off cash price>No cherry picking,despite that moast tried to buy the good {Rca ,Mgm ,Okeh,epic Demos} telling me oldies did not sell,offering 40% of market price, The best deal was Pat Brady who gave 60% cash no hassle took the lot,Flight cases and all. Icould not imagine selling onthe web with all the shipping, returns,Whinging and hassle,So my advice Steve your friendly neighbourhood  dealers. Be Lucky !

Ditto 

Sold my 7's collection in 2000 when the first kid came along and bought a brand new family car 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!