Jazz Funk / Disco - Rarest of the Rare

Guest miff

Dont know about you but i come across more and more 12 inchers of Jazz Funk and Disco 12s then anything else nowadays when looking in car boots etc, and just wondering if theres anything that is worth looking out for I must admit to overlooking this side of Soul Music especally Jazz Funk and my knowledgge on the subject is limited to say the least

It seems that a lot of major players had a go at releasing somthing Jazz Funk or Disco at some point, and there must be simalar attemps made by unknown artists on small independents Just like there was in the 60s and 70s

What do you think?

Social source share

On 10/11/2015, 19:59:51, miff said:

12 inchers of Jazz Funk and Disco 12s - if theres anything that is worth looking out for especally Jazz Funk - my knowledgge on the subject is limited to say the least

phew, blimey I wish you luck - there's no simple way 'round it - I look at and go through probably hundreds and hundreds of records on a weekly basis if I'm lucky and I learn summat new every time. Stuff I didn't know and have passed over several times over the last year or so I pick up nowadays and so on and so on and so on.

I'm sure you know as well as I do that learning the ins and outs of a new genre is a very, very long road indeed - think how long it took you to acquire all that knowledge on music that you like and collect - never mind stuff you're not that keen on.

They say knowledge is power and the  first point of call would be to check completed UK listings of R&B/Soul 12" singles on Ebay on a regular weekly basis to get a feel of what sells and how much for.

Derek

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If you come across Roy Ayres LP "You Send Me" it's worth buying for the great "Can't You See Me"

I don't know much about Jazz/funk but this is what I imagine to be a classic!

Social source share

13 hours ago, solidsoul said:

If you come across Roy Ayres LP "You Send Me" it's worth buying for the great "Can't You See Me"

I don't know much about Jazz/funk but this is what I imagine to be a classic!

You're right it is a classic. Not rare by any means but a fantastic record.

Social source share

7 hours ago, kev cane said:

Is "Sharing" on the flip Chris, got it on a Deep Soul comp, real good

Kev

Freddie Hughes on vocals fantastic track. :thumbsup: Been ages since I played the LP must dig it out and try "Kiss Away"

Thanks NCFC :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, NCFC said:

Vitamin E -"Kiss away" on Buddah is worth picking up.Dodgy intro though.

Cheers Paul

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, soul shrews said:

Freddie Hughes on vocals fantastic track. :thumbsup: Been ages since I played the LP must dig it out and try "Kiss Away"

Thanks NCFC :thumbsup:

Cheers Paul

Thanks Paul

Learn something new about this great music every day, Freddie also one half of The Casanova Two

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, kev cane said:

Thanks Paul

Learn something new about this great music every day, Freddie also one half of The Casanova Two

Kev

Thanks for the info Kev I didn"t know that !

Back on topic the Aquarian Dream UK "Disco Duplex" (2 X 12s) with the longer ("unreleased") version of "East 6th Street"

Tricky to find ?

Cheers Paul

We need Mark Rez on this thread !

Edited by soul shrews
forgot to mention something
Social source share

11 minutes ago, richardf said:

Quite a lot of US 12"s were promo only and therefore shit rare. Norman Connors - Been There and Denise Lasalle - I'm So Hot, being a couple.

Both killers right there. "Once I've Been There" is one of my favorite records ever. Prince Phillip Mitchell on vocals and sounding the best he's ever sounded!

https://youtu.be/AylrqoBZOTM

Ian D :)

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

4 hours ago, soul shrews said:

Oh and Miroslav Vitous "New York City" was a promo only US 12 right ? Would think thats quite rare

Cheers Paul

Paul

Miroslav Vitous 'New York City' gained a UK 12inch release 1979 on W/Bros cat No. K 17448 T.

Still fetches a high price tag though.

R-412648-1307198714.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Doctor Bob
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Doctor Bob said:

Paul

Miroslav Vitous 'New York City' gained a UK 12inch release 1979 on W/Bros cat No. K 17448 T.

Still fetches a high price tag though.

R-412648-1307198714.jpeg.jpg

and this just goes to show the minefield collecting this stuff can be. The one above is the late 70's UK 12" which is worth little more than £25, but the U.S original 12" release below still sells for £100 + today

Miroslav Vitous.jpg

Social source share

18 hours ago, Dave Thorley said:

and this just goes to show the minefield collecting this stuff can be. The one above is the late 70's UK 12" which is worth little more than £25, but the U.S original 12" release below still sells for £100 + today

Miroslav Vitous.jpg

Yes Dave

The USA single sided goes for £100+, btw sold a spare of the UK 1979 release about 6 months ago on the gogs and got £55 [NM]

so the crazy market of collecting is still up and down. Happy days

Trust your well my friend?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember W/Bros  UK mail out of 12inch  Test Pressings of Lamont Dozier /Ritchie Havens

'Going Back To My Roots'

A1 Richie Havens Going Back To My Roots     5:01
A2 Lamont Dozier Going Back To My Roots 6:31
B Lamont Dozier Going Back To My Roots 9:41

Not sure how many of these were pressed, mailed out in 12inch Warners Sleeve with A4 Info sheet

taped over the front. White labels.  Again  can fetch £100+, depending on condition of course.

I believe less than 50 copies were pressed / mailed out, so bit of a UK only mail out from Mr Fred Dove back in the day.

Definitely a collectors item

Cheers

Dr Bob J

• Helpful 1
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Doctor Bob said:

I remember W/Bros  UK mail out of 12inch  Test Pressings of Lamont Dozier /Ritchie Havens

'Going Back To My Roots'

A1 Richie Havens Going Back To My Roots     5:01
A2 Lamont Dozier Going Back To My Roots 6:31
B Lamont Dozier Going Back To My Roots 9:41

Not sure how many of these were pressed, mailed out in 12inch Warners Sleeve with A4 Info sheet

taped over the front. White labels.  Again  can fetch £100+, depending on condition of course.

I believe less than 50 copies were pressed / mailed out, so bit of a UK only mail out from Mr Fred Dove back in the day.

Definitely a collectors item

Cheers

Dr Bob J

But that's later 1980, in 1977 Warners U.S 12" promos of Lamont Dozier were mailed out in the u.k

19 hours ago, Dave Thorley said:

Miroslav Vitous.jpg

That's because the u.k 12" is not the full version

Social source share

7 hours ago, ric-tic said:

But that's later 1980, in 1977 Warners U.S 12" promos of Lamont Dozier were mailed out in the u.k

That's because the u.k 12" is not the full version

I realise that, I was just raising awareness to the Lamont Dozier / Richie Havens white label UK mail-out which to my knowledge never

got a stock release, so making it very collectable. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!