I had no idea

Soul-slider

Dubious to say the least.

There appears to be a number of pressings floating around the 'bay'that sellers describe as '70's pressings' which look almost pristine. The old adage "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is" comes to mind. 

Strikes me that the modern day bootleggers have recognised the market for 70's boots and have taken the initiative to cash in whilst they can. 

Treat em with the contempt  they deserve I say  and don't spend real cash on shitty counterfeit trash. Hopefully they'll get stuck with boxes of boots they can't shift.......... though in reality I doubt it. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Strikes me that the modern day bootleggers have recognised the market for 70's boots and have taken the initiative to cash in whilst they can. 

You've hit the nail on the head there I think, Illusive.

Fortunately I have the original O'Jays 45 anyway :)

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Hi

This low life puts these up on Ebay all the time, The only good thing is he does say in a round about way they are not original, what worries me is the person buying them may not pass on the this information and try to pass them as originals, what do you do, ask every seller for dead wax numbers,or other ways of telling if they are original. Some sellers then get funny with you saying that you are saying they have no integrity which has happened to me a couple of times.

As soon as I see this seller I no longer look as I have never seen him put any original copies up for sale.

Daven

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've just looked through the sellers history and it seems to confirm what i originally thought.

He's seen a market for '70's pressings' (which bizarrely seems to suggest pressings from that era carry more kudos than those pressed up today!) and has been selling duplicate copies of the same disc for some really tidy sums. The labels look far too good to have been produced in the  70's, whereas today anything's possible if you've got a decent image to start with.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HERB-WARD-STRANGE-CHANGE-WHY-DO-YOU-ARGO-DJ-COPY-70s-PRESSING-/201420612817?nma=true&si=hHjUTvG4L%252FYGEwW4jga6vgvN4S4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HERB-WARD-STRANGE-CHANGE-WHY-DO-YOU-ARGO-DJ-COPY-70s-PRESSING-/201425796117?nma=true&si=hHjUTvG4L%252FYGEwW4jga6vgvN4S4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and more Herb Ward's in his sales history too. 

He's drip feeding the market rather than saturating it which is a clever ploy and I guess some might call it 'enterprising', but to me he's simply taking advantage of the uninformed masses who know little or nothing of the market and who have more money than sense or catering for those who are wanna be DJ's who could get away with proclaiming these to be originals as the labels look like exact duplicates to me.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!