Monumental Soul On Sept 30th

Girthdevon

Just a quick reminder for

MONUMENTAL SOUL

returning after our summer break on Sat 30th Sept with a BANG! - our super special guest for the evening will be the legendary soul & jazz DJ

Dr BOB JONES

alongside your regular DJ team of

Gareth 'Girth' Donovan, Niki Golding & Mole.

MONUMENTAL SOUL @ The Britannia, Monument St, London EC3 - Monument tube is just a stones throw away and free parking nearby.

We're there from 8.30 til 2am playing a quality mix of classic modern & crossover soul from the 70s & 80s with a smattering of rare 60s & some of the best new releases too.

For more information you can mail mentalsoul@soulboys.co.uk / girthdevon@googlemail.com or call me on 01708 724349.

And here are some more 'Mental' dates for your diary

Oct 28th - with Paul Thrower

&

Nov 25th - with Arthur Fenn

&

December 31st - MonuMENTAL NYE PARTY w/ GUESTS TBC - tickets will be available in advance priced @ £15.00.

SO DON'T FORGET - KEEP IT MENTAL !!!!!!!

• Replies 8
  • Views 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

We trust you all had a great summer break and got in plenty of R&R. Summer's over and it's MENTAL time again! We've even been given a new strap line... "London's premier Modern Soul & Crossover night". How about that?!

This Saturday 30th September 24th June your regular DJ team of Gareth 'Girth' Donovan, Niki Golding & Mole are joined by our very special guest DJ Dr. Bob Jones. Dr. Bob was responsible for bringing 'Modern Soul' to the masses with the release of BBE's "Soul Spectrum" compilation, co-compiled alongside Keb Darge way back in 1998. Remember that subtitle "REAL SOUL FOR THE FOLKS WHO FEEL SOUL"? Bob was the first DJ to put classic real soul tracks on mainstream CD - Tony Troutman "What's The Use", Curtis Anderson "The Hardest Part", Timeless Legend "I Was Born To Love You", Melvin Moore "All Of A Sudden" and Jeannie Tracy "Making New Friends". Respec' - as they say. Oh yeah, and our very own Gareth Donovan got a shout on the sleevenotes of that comp - as well as half of MENTAL's previous guest DJs and punters. It's gonna be another one of those old boys Thorn reunions we can tell....

We are also currently working on our new website at www.monumentalsoul.co.uk. Thank you to everyone who has e-mailed us photos of past events. Keep checking back because we will be adding lots of new stuff soon. In the meantime we have activated the new forum at https://www.monumentalsoul.co.uk/soulroom/index.php. Register now to reserve your user name - and you can start chatting right away.

The next bit you know off by heart.... we'll be spinning a selection of lesser known oldies, ultra rare crossover, funky floor-fillers, modern soul anthems and brand new soul cuts.... the very best in QUALITY soul old and new. A night of great soul music and great company at a great venue, with a big wooden floor and all washed down with pub priced beer... and that all important draught bitter!!

Monumental Soul

@ The Britannia

20 Monument Street

London EC3R 8AJ

Doors: 8.30pm to 2am

Tax: seven quid

The Britannia is by The Monument - just a 30 second stroll down the hill from Monument Tube station (District & Circle Lines, and foot tunnel to Northern & Central Lines), walking distance to Fenchurch Street, Cannon Street, London Bridge (just over the river) and Liverpool Street Rail stations. If you're coming by car, Monument Street is just off King William St/London Bridge and Lower Thames Street. There is plenty of free street parking close to the venue. **2006 - the road immediately outside the Britannia, around the base of the Monument, has now been paved over causing a no through road. Enter Monument Street from the Lower Thames Street end for parking, or park in Pudding Lane.**

MonuMENTAL Dates for 2006:

Oct 28th - with guest Paul Thrower

November 25th - with guest Arthur Fenn

December 31st - Niki's birthday party - the MonuMENTAL New Year's Eve do. Ticket £15 in advance only

2_Monumental_11_1.jpg(post-1482-11595679

Have a cracker Gareth.

Sure you will with Bob on. If I wasn't playing elsewhere I'd love to come to this.

Would really like to hear the Dr play, and you, again.

See you soon!

All the best!

Andy

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Much respect to Niki, Mole and Gareth for Sat night @ 'The Mental'. It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to spin some 45's from the surgery vaults. I really enjoyed myself. THANK YOU so much.

Thanks also to all who made it down, including the Spanish contigent. Good to see Blowey, Julie and Brian, and Stevie Cee.

Best wishes and congrats to Laura for her forthcoming wedding. Also big congrats and much love to Niki and Nelly.

Thanks again really enjoyed the room , the crowd and of course the music. 'keep on keeping on', you have a great soulful club, happening in London.

Best Dr Bob J. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

PS Many thanks to the Webbos for their hospitality- top night as usual.