How much would it cost?

I have just seen a copy of Barnaby Bye Can't live this way for sale on eBay and it got me thinking how much it might cost me to buy every copy that still exists and burn the f@cking the lot!

The copy I have seen is mint and is a demo which being an Atlantic Demo means that you get the same shit on both sides. Stereo and Mono for that authentic 70's feel. It has currently has attracted one bid of $6.00,  I doubt and hope that it will get anymore because thankfully the seller has misspelt Barnaby but still the simple fact it has a bid on it proves that someone very sadly thinks that this record has some merit and value. This worries me enormously, not only because someone out their obviously believes that this piece of crap falls into the category of Northern Souls but they may also think that it is Soul Music rather than a piece of complete shit played by some egotistical DJ who thought that he was so great that he could play whatever crap he wanted and the mid 70's Wigan crowd would love it and him. The real reason for my concern is because if I did go ahead and try to buy them all up it could end up costing more than the real value of each record which is somewhere between f@ck all and the price a 2nd class stamp 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Paul Nicola said:

I have just seen a copy of Barnaby Bye Can't live this way for sale on eBay and it got me thinking how much it might cost me to buy every copy that still exists and burn the f@cking the lot!

The copy I have seen is mint and is a demo which being an Atlantic Demo means that you get the same shit on both sides. Stereo and Mono for that authentic 70's feel. It has currently has attracted one bid of $6.00,  I doubt and hope that it will get anymore because thankfully the seller has misspelt Barnaby but still the simple fact it has a bid on it proves that someone very sadly thinks that this record has some merit and value. This worries me enormously, not only because someone out their obviously believes that this piece of crap falls into the category of Northern Souls but they may also think that it is Soul Music rather than a piece of complete shit played by some egotistical DJ who thought that he was so great that he could play whatever crap he wanted and the mid 70's Wigan crowd would love it and him. The real reason for my concern is because if I did go ahead and try to buy them all up it could end up costing more than the real value of each record which is somewhere between f@ck all and the price a 2nd class stamp 

PMSL !!! not keen then Paul :g::thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Paul Nicola said:

Its on an LP of theirs too so it would be even more cash down the drain :rofl:

Cheers Paul

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Paul Nicola said:

Don't worry. Crap tune indeed, so just don't mind it... 

Social source share

And Cleethorpes too, East Coast Connection rules! Also huge at Peterborough's Wirrina allnighters in 1975, along with the aforementioned tunes + Betty Wright Where's The Love, Falbala's Magic Band, that Control Tower thing on Motown. Them were the days... I'm going off track, sorry. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

I think this is one of those "you had to be there" moments.  Like Steve, it evokes happy memories of the Highland Room for me although I must admit I wouldn't dream of playing it out these days.

Pete

Social source share

23 minutes ago, dobber said:

yeah its a toss record in any genre,but then again there aint much soul in most NORTHERN SOUL tunes really! northern souls got a certain beat and you can dance to it,and thats all it has to do!

A lot are more 'northern' than 'soul', I agree, but a lot also have soul in them. It still is my HQ in music. Just like in return a lot of said (real) 'soul' music are more 'esthetic' (plastic) than soulful I find. Depends what you call SOUL music I'd say. The one you like, the one you don't and the NOT SOUL MUSIC DEFO. True, not that everything and anything is soul, but there is soul and there is soul... Barnaby might have been a 'wannabe' of some sort (judging by the effort he puts in there) to be soulful or something like that, yet still... it's bad enough... agreed.

Social source share

4 hours ago, TRICKY said:

And it was picked up by Atlantic so you would have to buy the original local label copies too.

It's near guaranteed that in every new thread I read I learn summat new.

In this thread I learnt several new things:

(1) Barnaby Bye wasn't a solo singer (as I'd previously thought) they were a 4 man group.

(2) Didn't know "Can't Live This Way" came out on the local label, Nimbus 9, prior to being picked up by Atlantic.

(3) Paul Nicola won't want to buy the rare Atlantic Barnaby Bye issue I was going to offer him.

Derek

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Is it just me or does anyone else think their tailor/ stylist or whatever they had in their day to dress them must have had an excellent early career with Barnum and Bailey?  Though obviously not in the make-up department, they make very miserable clowns.

Edited by TattooDave
Social source share

12 hours ago, macca said:

And Cleethorpes too, East Coast Connection rules! Also huge at Peterborough's Wirrina allnighters in 1975, along with the aforementioned tunes + Betty Wright Where's The Love, Falbala's Magic Band, that Control Tower thing on Motown. Them were the days... I'm going off track, sorry.

The vocal of East Coast Connection is fantastic.!! Why we were subjected to the Instru is beyond me....Flip it you guys.!!

6 hours ago, Derek Pearson said:

And once you've seen what Barnaby Bye actually looked like - it's even easier to dislike them.

Derek

5643fe794b427_BarnabyByefrontcover.jpg.55643fe833f69c_BarnabyByerearcover.jpg.51

Def got Room to Grow in that suit. A "Mecca" suit if i ever saw one - big ballroom.!!

Social source share

7 hours ago, KevH said:

The vocal of East Coast Connection is fantastic.!! Why we were subjected to the Instru is beyond me....Flip it you guys.!!

Def got Room to Grow in that suit. A "Mecca" suit if i ever saw one - big ballroom.!!

Too right!  I saw it being disparaged a while ago on a Facebook page dedicated to oldies. I gather 70s Mecca-Cleethorpes-Wigan etc monsters are persona non-grata among the oldies crowd. I can only conclude that these people either never did Wigan or came on board during the Mod Revival. Revisionists. 

Edited by macca
Vanity.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Barnaby Bye feature the adorable Alessi Twins of evil,identical,remember pop hit "Oh Lori" they went on to sell 8,000.000.records! An Ian Levine fave,i rememberit with horror,played at Mr Smiths club in Manc when I dabbled with jazz/funk. The chosen dance was a sort of pre David Blaine levitationof rapidly shuffling feet,"Cant Live This way was followed by "Loving is really my game" another pet hate. i feel aThread ccoming on "Your Room 101 N.S .Hates!

Social source share

15 hours ago, macca said:

Too right!  I saw it being disparaged a while ago on a Facebook page dedicated to oldies. I gather 70s Mecca-Cleethorpes-Wigan etc monsters are persona non-grata among the oldies crowd. I can only conclude that these people either never did Wigan or came on board during the Mod Revival. Revisionists.

Macca,sorry bud i was joking about the vocal of ECC. The instrumental is the dogs.!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 12/11/2015, 09:43:07, KevH said:

Kev

Now that's a suit!!

Kev I expect to see you in one of those next time I bump into you..........room to fit Paul,Steve & Dean in it :lol:

I'm in the "Love It" gang for the record :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Just been reading the revived Andy Rix thread re Sharon Scott and then went to YouTube and played Putting My Heart Under Lock And Key. I've been sat here shaking my head for five minutes wondering how this (Barnaby Bye) s*+#e ever got played anywhere and what the hell it has in connection with soul music, of any description, no matter what sort of beat it has!!  :ohmy:

I get the 'it brings back memories' sentiment but come on, a record such as this rubbish shouldn't be on the same sodding planet as something like the work of Sharon Scott let alone the same music scene!!!

Only my opinion of course.

Regards.

Drew.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 11/11/2015, 17:45:09, Okehdownsouth said:

It's not that bad.  It's a pleasant little tune without being great!  There is a lot worse!

If you do buy all the copies and burn them make sure you don't leave half a dozen copies in existence, because you will make it a very desirable record to some egocentrics!!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

12 hours ago, KevH said:

Macca,sorry bud i was joking about the vocal of ECC. The instrumental is the dogs.!!!

Hahaha... I have to say I do actually like the vocal. The fact that a lot of these Mecca/Cleethorpes shufflers have fallen from grace amongst the oldies crowd is kinda sad, I reckon. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Plenty of shit big money records out there worse than Barnaby Bye that everyone pretends to like because there are only a few copies.

Can't Live This Way is a time and a place record for most people, and nothing wrong with that. For me, around 1978 local youth club, before I really new much better, so lots of good memories.

Social source share

My memory of Barnaby Bye is when the lyric got to "Can't live this way, Whoo" everyone's right hand went up and over their heads.

It's no soul record but it was a big record and had it's place in time. Quite incidentally, someone at work has just had a baby and has named him Barnaby - I emailed everyone a link to Can't Live This Way on youtube.

:)

Social source share

Yes, a memory record for me also. First heard in the Highland room and at the time thought it was great!

Picked up shortly afterwards at Cleethorpes and the like, to get even more plays for a time before vanishing for another song to take it's place!

Not so much a fave now though, I still have my copy but never think to listen to it these days. I did know about the Adrissi Brothers involvement and that they were in fact a group, not a person. Which could well have swayed my feelings away from it just a little... :yes:

Edited by John Benson
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• What I love most about this site is the way that someones point of view prevokes so many great comments from the NS fraternity and shows that despite sometimes being subjected to such shit records we all still have a great sense of humour. I was there at the time Mecca, Wigan, Cleethorps, St Ives and if I was honest probably did get stuck on the dance floor on one of those "Christ this gear is great nights" when almost everything got my feet moving.
  • With regard to the addition of Frankie Crocker to this list of shite. please retract that. I know that it's not soul and probably not even something that could be classified as Northern Soul but then neither is The Crow, which is a so obviously a funk record but that even got into the recent NS Film.
  • Thanks again all of you for your comments, great fun and I learned a bit as well
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I an effort to try to placate those of you who have differing opinions I thought that I out to at least have a listen to see if it is quite as bad as I remember, 1975 was aferall a long time a go. Well the first one at the top of the youtube page ahs lots of comments all saying what a great record it is and lots of people seemed to love it?

There is predictably a comment from Dr Watson, need I say anymore

Social source share

On 14 November 2015 at 00:37:43, John Benson said:

Yes, a memory record for me also. First heard in the Highland room and at the time thought it was great!

Picked up shortly afterwards at Cleethorpes and the like, to get even more plays for a time before vanishing for another song to take it's place!

Not so much a fave now though, I still have my copy but never think to listen to it these days. I did know about the Adrissi Brothers involvement and that they were in fact a group, not a person. Which could well have swayed my feelings away from it just a little... :yes:

Same here John. Heard it at The Mecca, loved it, bought it, and probably forgot about it within a matter of weeks due to the heavy turnover of stuff back then?

Heard it played at an all-dayer a couple of years ago and thought WTF is this guy playing! Then realised what it was?

In hindsight, it was that period where Levine was pushing the envelope a little too far and records like this were Emporer's New Clothes moments?

Hope you're well mate?

Tony Horn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 14 November 2015 00:37:43, John Benson said:

Usually followed by Felix Cavaliere.!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!