Trying to find date of record releases

Guest OntheScene

Guest OntheScene

Is there a website or publication where I can find out the actual date of release of my collection of 60s soul 45s? Or if not the date the artist recorded the track. I've found some but very few.

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Guest OntheScene

Thanks to everyone for all their help. It certainly has increased my chances of finding out the dates.

Not as simple as I had hoped though (those explanations from Flynny's website have truly confused me :)) and I don't think I'll ever find all of them even now but I am far more informed than before asking the question, so thanks guys.

Checked out the cat45 site and you're right Derek truly awesome bit of work there.

Regards the Manship book Dave, I've not been able to check a copy out but have ordered one all the same, so will just have to wait and see on that one.

Been also checking out Billboard Liam as suggested, I was hoping it would give me more information than it actually did, but interesting all the same.

and lastly thanks Steve I wasn't aware of the 'The R&B Indies' they sound fascinating as have looked them up on the net but unfortunately are out of print and none on ebay but will keep my eyes peeled all the same on this one.

Any more suggestions would still be welcome.

Thanks

Social source share

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎00‎:‎46‎:‎16, OntheScene said:

and lastly thanks Steve I wasn't aware of the 'The R&B Indies' they sound fascinating as have looked them up on the net but unfortunately are out of print and none on ebay but will keep my eyes peeled all the same on this one.

Yeah, I paid a fortune for them meself yonks ago, good luck finding them?

And seriously, don't dismiss discogs, tons of great info up there

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Soul harmony singles 1960 - 1990.  A very good book. No publication can have everything in, but this has a decent proportion given the publishing date of 1998. Not that much help on the single artist items, but there are many in there which had a strong group to back them.  Probably not an easy book to find, but well worth the effort. Hope this will help.

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest OntheScene
On 16/11/2015 11:37:19, John Benson said:

Also, this might be obvious, but if you are struggling to find a date for a particular record, look for records on the same label with release numbers as close to yours. If you get some with dates on either side (ish) then you'll not be far off. :yes:

It may be obvious to some John, but lil ole me didn't think of it, so thanks for the suggestion

On 16/11/2015 08:52:48, Dave Rimmer said:

You could always try my site.

www.soulfulkindamusic.net

Already have Dave and a very informative site it is too. Keep it up

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!