Elvin Spencer/Chosen Few Info Please

Rick Scott

MAYBE BEEN DISCUSED ON HERE BEFORE, NOT SURE BUT HERE GOES.

HAVING MANY YEARS AGO SELLING MY TWINIGHT ISSUE WHEN TOLD

BANDIT ISSUE WAS THE FIRST AND ORIGINAL ISSUE (WHICH I BOUGHT)

WHAT ORDER OF ISSUE ARE THE SINGLES ? EVERY COLLECTOR I HAVE SPOKEN

TO HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION AS THE WINNER COPY IS THE ONLY ONE

WITH A DATE ON (1970)

ELVIN SPENCER- LIFT THIS HURT (WINNER) 1970

CHOSEN FEW - LIFT THIS HURT (BANDIT) ?

ELVIN SPENCER - LIFT THIS HURT (TWINIGHT) ?

ELVIN SPENCER - LIFT THIS HURT ( E.S.COSY RE-ISSUE) OF COURSE THE LAST ISSUE.

ALSO WENT ON TO YOUTUBE AND PLAYED TWO SOUND BITES THAT WERE SUPPOSED 

TO BE THE WINNER RECORDING ONE SOUNDING A BIT MORE FUNKY AND THE OTHER

THE SAME AS THE TWINIGHT RECORDING SO ASSUME WINNER ISSUE MORE FUNKY VERSION ?

ALSO I WONDER WHY THE NAME CHANGE ELVIN SPENCER/CHOSEN FEW?

THANKS FOR LOOKING AND HOPEFULY GIVING YOUR VIEWS.

Rick

Social source share

56472af994fa8_Capturedcran2015-11-1413.356472b2360264_Capturedcran2015-11-1413.356472b6e4b852_Capturedcran2015-11-1413.3

The thing for me is that the Winner and the Twinight share the exact same credit. While the Bandit copy have another Publishing company and the producer is not Syl Johnson there !!! So I would believe that someone who was in the making of this recording was not happy with the Twinight/Syl Johnson deal and took the tapes to the Bandit studios for a rival release. That's how it makes sense to me. Maybe someone have the Numero group compilations where a more factual explanations are given...

Social source share

Thanks guys, only now another release comes into the puzzle, what order of release and dates if possible on all other releases

of title still required, and what recording was used on the chosen few label issue, is it one of the above or a different recording alltogether?

As they say, 'The plot thickens'

Rick

Social source share

This might help Rick -

A native of Memphis, Elvin Spencer had relocated to Chicago after mustering out of the military at the end of the 1960s. Via mutual friends, Elvin Spencer connected with percussionist Lamar Bell, then in the early stages of forming the generically named Chosen Few with bassist Dexter Gordon. The group was rounded out by guitarists Rico Collins, “James,” an unnamable drummer, and Spencer. With the Chosen Few, Brown only added the Bandit label’s crudely drawn logo. Bandit’s 1974 issue of “Lift This Hurt” and “You Been Unfair” was pulled straight from Twinight’s master reels, a move gleaned from Brown’s dealings with Ed O’Kelley and USA Records on “My Heart Would Never Lie To Me. ”Incensed over Bandit’s backward priorities, the Chosen Few severed ties with Brown and founded their own Chosen Few Records out of spite, issuing “Lift This Hurt” yet again. Brown was unfazed. In 1975, the band issued a single on Chuck Sibit’s Mod-Art label, followed by a bluesy Rico Collins & the Chosen Few 45 on their vanity imprint. Despite their lack of success as recording artists, the band was still popular as a club act, regularly appearing on the south and west sides of Chicago throughout the ’70s. Chi-Sound’s Carl Davis recruited the act to record and tour behind his hitmakers the Chi-Lites and Walter Jackson, where they stayed until Jackson’s death in 1983. Out of gas, the Chosen Few chose to proceed as just one. Solo for the first time in a decade, Elvin Spencer did what came naturally, trotting “Lift This Hurt” out for one final run on his own E.S. Cozy label.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, that helps a lot with the Bandit and Chosen Few Record label issues, just wish now i'd kept my Twinight copy. :(

Seems as you say same recordings would have been used on the above as with the E.S.Cozy straight re-release.

The Winner record label issue seems to be the only one that is a different more funky version release (A different recording altogether)

Thankyou, Rick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!