The male greats... all gone?

Dayo

Guest Johnny One Trout
On 19 November 2015 11:23:56, garethx said:

I think that the point about 'crossing over' is a bit of a red herring. That says more about the cultural climate of the times than it says about the qualities of an artist's work. There are still guys from Soul's heyday who wrote, produced and sang their material to a really high standard and who can still do it: Phillip Mitchell and Benny Latimore are mentioned above and I would add Bobby Patterson and Richard Caiton to that list.

Caiton in particular never anywhere came close to crossing over—in fact the majority of his releases are excruciatingly rare—yet his relatively small body of work is completely satisfying from an aesthetic viewpoint. We should be proud of the fact that as Soul fans our devotion has led to these artists being discovered/rediscovered and appreciated, even by generations of fans who were not around when the records were first made.

And they are top blokes as well, I would add Jimmy Conwell, Alexander Patton, Archie Bell and Sam Dees to the list....

Social source share

15 hours ago, Kris Holmes said:

Yes Archie Bell still doing it for sure.

As Mike mentioned, Willie Hightower was absolutely incredible live last month, his voice seemed totally unaffected by the ravages of time, stunning.

Where did you see Willie Hightower perform at?  That's a name that doesn't get enough recognition.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought of another male great Oscar Toney Jr! Still going strong at 76. His work with Papa Don Schroeder in the 60s was fantastic, but for me the sides he cut for contempo with Gerry Shury were even better. very underrated and I'm pretty sure will be re-evaluated in the near future.

Social source share

58 minutes ago, tobytyke said:

Just thought of another male great Oscar Toney Jr! Still going strong at 76. His work with Papa Don Schroeder in the 60s was fantastic, but for me the sides he cut for contempo with Gerry Shury were even better. very underrated and I'm pretty sure will be re-evaluated in the near future.

He also cut some fantastic sides with Jerry Williams/Swamp Dogg in the 70's on Capricorn....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!