Ian Levine produced tracks; Your Fave

Guest johnny hart

Guest johnny hart

Following the massive interest in the Barbara Mc Nair  spoken intro versionof "Your Gonna Love my Baby" how about your choice of track from the Blackpool Bombshell.  his breathtaking career has spanned 5 decades working with artistes from David Ruffin,Steve Mancha ,The contours,Steve Brookstein, Take That,The Elgins,the list is endless.  Labels include; 20th century, Motor City,Island, EMI,Sony,Okeh, On CD Goldsoul,Bestway,Tring and Harmless? my choice;    Ebony Alleyne ="My Man" Okeh 2002 !

Social source share

• Replies 61
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

41 minutes ago, rhino said:

The motor city stuff was shocking the original versions were stand alone classics and cant think of one he improved.   

There were one or two exceptions; G C Cameron's No Need To Explain/Out Of My Mind, IMO was one of the best Soul vinyl releases of 1992.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

James Wells, Chuck Jackson and Johnny Bristol for me although I do have a guilty pleasure of the Supremes and Originals but I don't like to talk about that...

Social source share

6 hours ago, conchitta said:

Following the massive interest in the Barbara Mc Nair  spoken intro versionof "Your Gonna Love my Baby" how about your choice of track from the Blackpool Bombshell.  his breathtaking career has spanned 5 decades working with artistes from David Ruffin,Steve Mancha ,The contours,Steve Brookstein, Take That,The Elgins,the list is endless.  Labels include; 20th century, Motor City,Island, EMI,Sony,Okeh, On CD Goldsoul,Bestway,Tring and Harmless? my choice;    Ebony Alleyne ="My Man" Okeh 2002 !

Chuck Jackson - All over the world

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout
18 hours ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

There's more than people may think. Some of 'em are great. I'm quite partial to Brenda Holloway sounding spunky on this....

Ian D :)

Ohh never heard that before, great version of GSH and a reminder of what Ian can achieve with some sophisticated orchestration rather than the usual bon tempi backing track :thumbup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎21‎:‎40‎:‎39, Ian Dewhirst said:

There's more than people may think. Some of 'em are great. I'm quite partial to Brenda Holloway sounding spunky on this....

Ian D :)

not a bad version but I don't think anyone can improve on Esther Phillips , and that's the rub with most of these productions arrogant beyond belief to even think that the originals can be improved upon .

Maybe Its just me but don't see the point in re-hashed versions .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, tobytyke said:

its the backing I cant seem to get my head around. some of the vocals are still great. I think with proper instrumentation they could have been superb.

I agree the backing spoilt some good records that Levine cut on Motorcity  but that was also a fault with most new releases at that time, even Malaco and the like fell into the trap with a lot of their recordings and you felt that great songs, great singers shame about the drum machines and such.

The amount of LPs I bought in the eighties and nineties and thought if only they had used real instruments .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In my opinion Ians best tune is Candi Statons      Just when you think its safe

a great song and a truly fantastic soulful delivery by Candi, in fact I think its one of her best and thats saying something.

It is available on youtube but my IT skills are dreadful!!

Dave Banks

Social source share

Can't believe I didn't mention Venecia Wilson - ok so the backing track is a cut up of an original but he made it even better.

I also really liked the original version of He's So Irreplaceable by Doris Jones that circulated on acetate - not on the Tomorrow label - I asked about this and Ian said it was lost forever.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!