Great Deep Compilations

Guest For Real

Guest For Real

Over the last 20 or so years I've collected a few deep soul compilations, here are some of my favourites

• Slow 'n' moody black and bluesy on Kent, the one that started it all for me, includes brilliant tracks like I can't stand it by Jimmy Holiday.
  • The Soul of a Man, another great Kent compilation, includes Marvin Preyer, What can I call my own, awesome stuff.
    (I have both the above on vinyl but see that the cd versions have many more tracks, worth getting?)
  • All the Dave Godin Deep Soul Treasures, with the brilliant Jaibi, Zerben Hicks et al. [although I was slightly peeved that these were marketed as the 'first ever assembly of authentic deep soul', which seemed disengenuous on behalf of Kent, particularly as they released 'Soul of a Man' above!!... is this not deep soul?]
  • Deep soul inferno on Goldmine.
  • Down and Out, the sad soul of the black south - this dropped through my letter box yesterday, am loving it on first few listens. Rainbow Road by Bill Brandon is superb (didn't know it before), and a couple by Bobby Bland (eg That did it) that I didn't know and are great.

Anyway, receiving this great new CD yesterday, prompted me to wonder, what other top notch Deep compilations am I missing?

Any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny Mack

you could join in on the Deep cd swap on Soul Talk....... whistling.gif

Please point me in the right direction - I'd love to hear some of these real collectors fave tunes - I can offer up some of my goods but these guys have collections that put most of us northern guys to shame - and really my heart is in the deep and mid stuff - lead me astray,..... please !

Johnny Mack :lol:wink.gif:D

Social source share

Guest For Real

you could join in on the Deep cd swap on Soul Talk....... ranting_1.gif

Thanks, just found this site, didn't know about it before - have already written to apply for membership! Good tip, thanks again. Mark

Social source share

Over the last 20 or so years I've collected a few deep soul compilations, here are some of my favourites
  • Slow 'n' moody black and bluesy on Kent, the one that started it all for me, includes brilliant tracks like I can't stand it by Jimmy Holiday.
  • The Soul of a Man, another great Kent compilation, includes Marvin Preyer, What can I call my own, awesome stuff.
    (I have both the above on vinyl but see that the cd versions have many more tracks, worth getting?)
  • All the Dave Godin Deep Soul Treasures, with the brilliant Jaibi, Zerben Hicks et al. [although I was slightly peeved that these were marketed as the 'first ever assembly of authentic deep soul', which seemed disengenuous on behalf of Kent, particularly as they released 'Soul of a Man' above!!... is this not deep soul?]
  • Down and Out, the sad soul of the black south - this dropped through my letter box yesterday, am loving it on first few listens. Rainbow Road by Bill Brandon is superb (didn't know it before), and a couple by Bobby Bland (eg That did it) that I didn't know and are great.

Anyway, receiving this great new CD yesterday, prompted me to wonder, what other top notch Deep compilations am I missing?

Any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Mark

There were a couple of compilations came out on Contempo called 'Soul Deep Vol 1' and 'Soul Deep Vol 2'.

Vol 1 was released in 1974, and for the life of me I can't find my copy of Vol 2 at the moment, but would have been around 1975/6. Obviously vinyl only, and probably extremely hard to find nowadays.....but it's something to keep you looking.

Social source share

There were a couple of compilations came out on Contempo called 'Soul Deep Vol 1' and 'Soul Deep Vol 2'.

Vol 1 was released in 1974, and for the life of me I can't find my copy of Vol 2 at the moment, but would have been around 1975/6. Obviously vinyl only, and probably extremely hard to find nowadays.....but it's something to keep you looking.

Great LP's gave them away as pressie to somebody a bit down and never thought I would get them back and hey presto found them in a dodgy rock shop in Aberdeen,

If you cant find them will put up Tracklists tomorrow, include Major Lance Dark and Lonely, Sam Dees SMH, Roshell Anderson etc etc.

Social source share

Any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Mark

You really cant beat the Kent cd's, the Wand one, the Hotlanta ones, will dig some out tomorrow and list if you have them and yes the cd's are worth it as there a fair few extra tracks.

Also the old Charly albums from ?? with unissued Bill Brandon stuff, think there were 5 albums every one essential, I only have 3 I think. Have these ever been reissued on CD?

Some great early Goldmine ones, Deep Soul Inferno, but quite crap sound if I remember rightly. WIll look in boxes.

Re the one above is that on the Trikont label? I found 3 or 4 on that label in Germany, think they have their own website (trikont.de??) Again will dig them out and post tomorrow, they are not strictly deep, more political songs but really soulful stuff on them.

Cmon Ady C/Tony R, appreciate they probably dont sell lots but some more deep cd's would go down a treat!!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest For Real

[Re the one above is that on the Trikont label? I found 3 or 4 on that label in Germany, think they have their own website (trikont.de??) Again will dig them out and post tomorrow, they are not strictly deep, more political songs but really soulful stuff on them.

Social source share

Yup, it is on the Trikont label. I'd never heard of it before, but came across it by chance on Amazon. Saw it had the Bill Brandon song on it and remember someone on this site raving about the song. Funny how those little snippets of information stay in your head!

I don't know the Wand or Hotlanta albums, so will have a look out for them. Thanks for the tip.

Mark

Trikont seems to be a German re-issue label, always do great notes in German and English.

Okay couldn't sleep so had a look along the shelves, not in order at moment so just grabbed a handful, all highly recommended.

On Kent

Our Turn To Cry and Sanctified Soul - Atlantic Ballads, not always your shouting deep soul, bit more big city style as you would expect but just great, 2 of my favourite cd's with Herman Hitson and James Carr being stand out tracks and amazingly a superb Isley Bros Track called The Last Girl, brilliant (anyone seen this on 45?)

Good Guys Don't Always Win - Deep Soul from Hotlanta, Sam Dees, Rozetta Johnson, and Bill Brandon unissued, not all deep as in slow but deep as in just amazing vocals.

Bill Haneys Atlanta Soul Brotherhood - Southern Soul magic, in all honesty a while since I listened to this so cant tip individuals but its in my pile for essential listening!!

When A Man Cries - Wand/Dynamo/Scepter /Musicor - brilliant cd. Masqueraders, Marvin Preyer, Katie Love and Tommy Hunt showing just what a great singer he was before his UK stuff was dreamed off. Cant remember one bad track, in fact cant remember one track that wasn't at least great!!

And The James Carr and Jimmy Lewis 2 cd's each, not all deep obviously but some ballads that rip your corneas out. Amazing stuff on these cd's.

On Hi - Forgive This Foolish Man. Otis Clay Phillip Mitchell Willie Clayton all being essential tracks, another CD with no real bad tracks (and that includes the Johnny Cash track, much to my disbelief!!).

On Grapevine - Troubled Waters - Sam Dees (again) McKinley Mitchell, Dorothy Moore, Tommy Tate - you get the picture, just buy!!

On Goldmine Deepest Soul Volume 1 & 2 - more traditional deep screamers here, some very rare I believe and probably some of the rawest tracks, but again if you want to go all the way into deepsville these are essential!

Finally on Trikont,

Cheating Soul - similar to what you have, Southern Soul, Ann Sexton, Bobby Bland, Sandra Phillips, some more obvious tracks but a great selection of music and as always with Trikont great bi-lingual notes.

Black and Proud vol 1 and 2 - not deep but socially conscious songs which I personally think in the soul world deserve the title deep soul, real mixture of Syl Johnson, Gil Scott-Heron Staple Singers, Last Poets, Sam Dees (again) George Soule (blue eyed deep soul!!). Probably recommend you try before you buy on these as a bit left field at times, but I think fantastic examples of the evolution of soul music and American culture in 70's.

Anyone hope there is something in there for you!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest For Real

Anyone hope there is something in there for you!

Cheers

Jock

That looks a brilliant list, thank you. Will start looking for them and the contempo albums mentioned above, now!

Cheers

Mark

Social source share

The compilations that Jocko mentioned on Charly were a set of 5 albums , featuring issued and unissued sides from the Qunivy /South Camp labels .Fabulous stuff , with great sleeve notes and covers .Think a compilation was made of some of the tracks on CD .

On Ace /Kent vinyl " Tears in my eyes " 045 , " Stand in for love " 056 , " Down to the last heartbreak " 084 , and " Pure Soul " 019 all contain some excellent slow /Deep tracks . If you're happy to seach and prehaps pay more than usual the " Bell Cellar full of Soul " comps [ 3 of them ] from the 60's are all brilliant . Hope this helps ,Best Wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

Any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Particularly love the 'Good guys don't always win' CD mentioned up the thread - Kent have put some out some real winners with great Deep on.

Not necessarily compilations but worth checking out is Henry Stone Music - their Benny Latimore and J.P Robinson anthology's are unmissable if you're into deep stuff :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest For Real

Great LP's gave them away as pressie to somebody a bit down and never thought I would get them back and hey presto found them in a dodgy rock shop in Aberdeen,

If you cant find them will put up Tracklists tomorrow, include Major Lance Dark and Lonely, Sam Dees SMH, Roshell Anderson etc etc.

REally like the sound of these Contempo LPs... Also sounds like they might be tough to find.. If I do, any idea how much I might have to pay? Because they are 'deep', compilations and lps (rather than northern and 45s), could I still get them quite cheap, perhaps? Just picked up a vinyl copy of the Wand deep compilation for £3.50 on, of all places, Amazon! But these Contempo lps sound like they might be whole lot harder. Any thoughts? Cheers Mark

Social source share

some time ago i picked up a bunch of second hand deep lp comps called 'soul from the vault - rare deep dynamite' - 5 volumes in all, also there are artist ones such as best of danny white, james phelps vs george freeman, best of barbara brown, best of willie hightower, the history of bobby adams, and 'the fame sound', all excellent stuff. anyone familiar with these? when did they come out and from where, no label name so they don't look like they're exactly legit.

also a bizarre lp with a topless woman on the cover called 'soul sensations vol. 1' which has some great stuff on, gloria walker, winstons, lee fields, and strangely also some laurel aitken and derrick harriott. came with a bunch of lp's from a dutch guy so guessing it was a dutch release (on the soul special label). were there any other volumes?

all these records feature fantastic deep sides and i have never really hardly any luck locating any of them on 45, the tracks appear to be pretty obscure.

cheers Paul

Social source share

The compilations that Jocko mentioned on Charly were a set of 5 albums , featuring issued and unissued sides from the Qunivy /South Camp labels .Fabulous stuff , with great sleeve notes and covers .Think a compilation was made of some of the tracks on CD .

I have one of the Charley South Camp/Quinvy comps. One of the tracks from the Charley we used to play at George Jackson was Don Varner 'When it's Over'. Note deep but a great overlooked northern track. the same LP turned me on to Al Johnson (South Camp) , which has since got a bit of a buzz about it. I have bought many of my key deep soul pieces after hearing Deep Soul comps, i.e. Spencer Wiggins-MGM, Jaibi, Jeannie Reynolds- Washington, Bessie Banks-Volt, Knight Bros-Tried So Hard. And yes I agree the Kent Hotlanta deep soul comp is amazing. Possibly my favourite soul CD- ever!

Social source share

some time ago i picked up a bunch of second hand deep lp comps called 'soul from the vault - rare deep dynamite' - 5 volumes in all, also there are artist ones such as best of danny white, james phelps vs george freeman, best of barbara brown, best of willie hightower, the history of bobby adams, and 'the fame sound', all excellent stuff. anyone familiar with these? when did they come out and from where, no label name so they don't look like they're exactly legit.

also a bizarre lp with a topless woman on the cover called 'soul sensations vol. 1' which has some great stuff on, gloria walker, winstons, lee fields, and strangely also some laurel aitken and derrick harriott. came with a bunch of lp's from a dutch guy so guessing it was a dutch release (on the soul special label). were there any other volumes?

all these records feature fantastic deep sides and i have never really hardly any luck locating any of them on 45, the tracks appear to be pretty obscure.

cheers Paul

Hello Paul ,I've got one of the " Rare deep dynamite " , with Sam Dees , Little Johnny Truit etc on , think they are Jap ? Got mine from Rod at Voices years ago .That Dutch one sounds interesting as well .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Hi Paul,

Althuogh I've not seen this particular LP I would imagine it's a bootleg.

There were a lot of dodgy comps from the 70's/80's made for the demand of the largely Surinamese deep soul scene in Holland. Some 45's were booted as well. Hans Diepstraaten Knows a lot more than me about all this.

Cheers Paul Woosnam

Social source share

Hi Paul,

Althuogh I've not seen this particular LP I would imagine it's a bootleg.

There were a lot of dodgy comps from the 70's/80's made for the demand of the largely Surinamese deep soul scene in Holland. Some 45's were booted as well. Hans Diepstraaten Knows a lot more than me about all this.

Cheers Paul Woosnam

ok thanks Paul, anyone know any dutch ex-pat Surinamese soul collectors looking to offload any records let me know
:P

i'll contact hans!

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!