• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just MHO of course, but I can't stand "tune up" and the

MAJESTICS - I LOVE HER SO MUCH

STEINWAYS - YOU'VE BEEN LEADING ME ON

PAT & THE BLENDERS - JUST BECAUSE

Have been hammered into the ground so much at every oldies do going that if I never hear 'em again it will be too soon ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Just MHO of course, but I can't stand "tune up" and the

Have been hammered into the ground so much at every oldies do going that if I never hear 'em again it will be too soon ranting_1.gif

yes they have been hammered but I still love em,and they do fill the floor

Bazza

Social source share

Now then,many a time ive been at a venue,had a couple of vimto's bit of a

dance then a few more vimto's,start thinking to my self ,I could do better

than this chap (the DJ).....But could I ....here's what I would play

THE VICTORS - HURT

HESITATIONS - IM NOT BUILT THAT WAY

FI- DELS - TRY A LITTLE HARDER

JR WALKER - TUNE UP

FOUR PRO'S - JUST ANOTHER GIRL

CAPITOLS - DONT SAY MAYBE BABY

FALCONS - LOVE LOOK IN HER EYES

DELLS - RUN FOR COVER

TEMPTATIONS - I WANT A LOVE I CAN SEE

LITTLE RICHIE - JUST ANOTHER HEARTACHE

ETHICS - LOOK AT ME NOW

VALA REEGAN & THE VALERONS - FIREMAN

VITO & THE SALUTATIONS - I'D BEST BE GOING

MAURICE WILLIAMS - BEING WITHOUT YOU

COD'S - IM A GOOD GUY

ROY HAMILTON - SHE MAKES ME WANNA DANCE

BARRET STRONG - I BETTER RUN

SIDNEY BARNES - STANDING ON SOLID GROUND

That should do me for about an hour

would you ask me back ??

ofcourse you would ranting_1.gif

Bazza

Used to do play lists in school way back in 1978, then went home and tried to do a tape , the problem i had all the time was after the next alnighter i attended . i seemed to change it , i found others better.

Looking at that playlist and being very close to one of mine back then it goes to show we haven`t come far.

Edited by gibber
Social source share

yes they have been hammered but I still love em,and they do fill the floor

Bazza

True, true, I just wish DJ's who play 'em would find something else to fill the floor with, instead of 'playing safe' :lol: As mentioned in another thread, when was the last time you heard the Construction "Hey little way out girl" played out? Sure it would fill the floor at an oldies do! ranting_1.gif

Social source share

True, true, I just wish DJ's who play 'em would find something else to fill the floor with, instead of 'playing safe' :D As mentioned in another thread, when was the last time you heard the Construction "Hey little way out girl" played out? Sure it would fill the floor at an oldies do! ranting_1.gif

Perhaps the reason you don't hear it is because compared to Bazzas list, it's shit. :lol:

IMVHO unsure.gif

Paul

Social source share

Bazza, I think that playlist is acceptable, but are they records you actually own?

Much more interesting to see a playlist from the records you do own.....and much harder to do!

Got me thinking though....if I ever had to do a DJ spot form my records what would I play? Think I would end up going for the records I like but those would probably keep the floor empty for a nice 45min slot, bar would be busy though ranting_1.gif

Social source share

I think you've got three types of soulies that go to Do's

1.the listener,likes a drink likes to listen to newies more than old over played stuff

2. the dancer ,dances all night likes newies and old standard stuff

3, the ones that only dance in the last hour had a few beer's only dances to the old over played stuff

if you can please all three, you've cracked it

Bazza

Social source share

Hi Bazza.

I certainly wouldn't complain if I was listening to these but I'd probably consider your spot a bit 'safe' and one paced.

One real complaint though, Standing On Solid Ground is a complete pile of poo and shouldn't be included in anyone's set, ever, anywhere. (IMHO of course :shhh: )

Kev

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Hi Bazza.

I certainly wouldn't complain if I was listening to these but I'd probably consider your spot a bit 'safe' and one paced.

One real complaint though, Standing On Solid Ground is a complete pile of poo and shouldn't be included in anyone's set, ever, anywhere. (IMHO of course :shhh: )

Kev

surely you should play tunes you have and try and throw something different in to surpise (and hopefully make dance) people

Social source share

True, true, I just wish DJ's who play 'em would find something else to fill the floor with, instead of 'playing safe' :) As mentioned in another thread, when was the last time you heard the Construction "Hey little way out girl" played out? Sure it would fill the floor at an oldies do! :shhh:

Got to admit this tune does nothing for me...not in the same street as the ones in my list :)

Bazza

Social source share

Got to admit this tune does nothing for me...not in the same street as the ones in my list :)

Bazza

Just listened to it again after many years, sounds 'fresh' now :shhh: Certainly knocks spots off COD's "I'm a good guy" youth club soul :) Just trying to suggest something less 'safe'

Social source share

They're all very nice tunes & i would say that is a very 'Now' playlist, seen plenty of playlists recently that are quite similar to yours.

Simon

Indeed, I always think 'same old same old' when I read playlists. Perhaps it is just me, but I think you should try and play records that you never hear out (rare or not).

Social source share

hi,interesting thread, opens up the age old debate..do you want to hear the same old safe sounds, which have their place, or hear something different. After all, where would the scene be if "new" sounds were not being constantly being played. Still coming across "oldies" that i don't know after many moons on the scene.....one man's/woman's oldie is anothers newie? BTW, i still love the buzz of hearing a "new" sound

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Got to admit this tune does nothing for me...not in the same street as the ones in my list :wicked:

Bazza

Bit like "fantasy football" Pick your ideal playlist!

If I had all of these, I would play (as an oldies spot)

Lonnie Russ "Say girl"

Demures "Raining teardrops"

Arin Demain "Silent treatment"

Ronnie McNeir "Is'nt she a pretty girl"

Anthony & Delsonics "Everytime"

Construction "Hey little way out girl"

Bernie Williams "Ever again"

Young Bros "What's your game"

Walter/admirations "Man o man"

Twans "I can't see him again"

Thelma Lindsey "Why wern't you there"

Eugene Smiley "Yes it's you"

Solid Solution "Think about it girl"

Enchanters "There's a look about you"

Monique "If you love me show me"

Cythia/Imaginary three "Thats what I am"

Sweets "Something about my baby"

Don Gardner "Is this really love"

Gary Dean "You can say"

Ward Burton "Sweet temptation"

Sevicemen "Connie"

Utopias "The girl's are against me"

Romona Collins "You've been cheating"

Purple Mundi "Stop hurting me baby"

I would deffo get up to all these, from the other list I would only dance to a couple :unsure:

Something for everyone, and, IMVHO, and a little less predictable/played out :thumbsup:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Lonnie Russ "Say girl"

Arin Domain "Silent treatment"

Gary Dean "You can say"

Sevicemen "Connie"

I would deffo get up to all these, from the other list I would only dance to a couple :thumbsup:

Something for everyone, and, IMVHO, and a little less predictable/played out :wicked:

Social source share

Hi,Trevski(Mr.T.H.) I believe,well as you know plenty of good D.J,S from your,e home city over the years, Mr.R.P. could certainly do superb spots with a fantastic mixture--newies,forgotten, crossover,--the lot.But i would have to agree too many people play "safe soul" for fear of clearing the floor("ooh look the promoter,s looking ,and there,s 2 people on the floor).Not sure about "Hey little way out girl"(wasn,t keen in 1978 when i heard how much R.S. got for it-- i was gobsmacked) but lot.s more sounds from that era stould get an airing.

Social source share

Hi,Trevski(Mr.T.H.) I believe,well as you know plenty of good D.J,S from your,e home city over the years, Mr.R.P. could certainly do superb spots with a fantastic mixture--newies,forgotten, crossover,--the lot.But i would have to agree too many people play "safe soul" for fear of clearing the floor("ooh look the promoter,s looking ,and there,s 2 people on the floor).Not sure about "Hey little way out girl"(wasn,t keen in 1978 when i heard how much R.S. got for it-- i was gobsmacked) but lot.s more sounds from that era stould get an airing.

Welcome to SS Tony

Don't you think the location has summat to do with what gets played?

Where are you from ?

Im from notts and Im told we're regarded as footseeland (oldies lovers stuck in the past) LOL :ohmy:

I go the some of the venues that Bazza visits and his playlist would deffo keep the floor buzzin

I have started visiting a venue(the Attic) where underplayed N/S is trying to get aired and I do like a lot of the stuff but have never heard most of it

Cheers Mand :ohmy:

PS did you do a new members introduction before getting in the thick of it?

Social source share

Welcome to SS Tony

Where are you from ?

Im from notts and Im told we're regarded as footseeland (oldies lovers stuck in the past) LOL :ohmy:

I go the some of the venues that Bazza visits and his playlist would deffo keep the floor buzzin

I have started visiting a venue(the Attic) where underplayed N/S is trying to get aired and I do like a lot of the stuff but have never heard most of it

Scratch the above sentence ...just read your very brief intro

Welcome to the club

Social source share

Welcome to SS Tony

Where are you from ?

Hi Mand..I think your right ,I went to a do in lincoln.last week..some of the stuff played I thought was very odd to say the least...it went down well there,but if it was played around here,they would go down like a lead balloon,I enjoyed it, was a good night ,but thought some of the stuff a bit strainge IMHO

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Haven't been to a venue for a good 9 months which was the Orwell.

If I put together a set without really knowing the music policy I would probably clear the floor...............but using records I own it would be

Players - Why did I lie

Bobby Womack - Tried & convicted

Orlons - Envy

Sandy Wynns - The touch of Venus

Gerald Sims - You'll never be sorry

Dells - Don't trick me, treat me

Willie Hutch - Lucky to be loved by you

Willie Hightower - Because I love you

Dee & Joe - Who is it gonna be

Temptations - Lonely world without your love

Edwin Starr & Blinky - We'll find a way

Thelma Houston - I ain't going nowhere

Patti Drew - Stop & Listen

Gloria Barnes - You don't mean it

Gloria Lynne - I just gotta tell somebody

Baby Washington - I've got it bad

David Ruffin - Rode by the place

Flora Wilson - Dancing on a daydream

Clydie King - My love grows deeper

Ruby and the Romantics - Does he really care for me ( as my ender)

Social source share

Lonnie Russ "Say girl"

Arin Domain "Silent treatment"

Gary Dean "You can say"

Sevicemen "Connie"

I would deffo get up to all these, from the other list I would only dance to a couple :ohmy:

Something for everyone, and, IMVHO, and a little less predictable/played out :ohmy:

If you owned that lot Trevski you could retire. :shhh: That set would be worth a fortune. beer.gif And you'd get a spot anywhere. The other guy's set is totally played out I.M.H.O

Social source share

I picked that set of tunes because I know they would go down well in and around the Notts area,and would with out doubt get the place jumping,,its ok you lot saying play stuff nobody knows ,but if you did that all night,you would not be asked back to do another spot,that I could guarantee ,but dream on if you like,if I was a a DJ my biggest concern would be to make sure the punters had a smile on there faces, and plenty on the floor, like it or not , that set of tunes would do just that :ohmy:

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

I picked that set of tunes because I know they would go down well in and around the Notts area,and would with out doubt get the place jumping,,its ok you lot saying play stuff nobody knows ,but if you did that all night,you would not be asked back to do another spot,that I could guarantee ,but dream on if you like,if I was a a DJ my biggest concern would be to make sure the punters had a smile on there faces, and plenty on the floor, like it or not , that set of tunes would do just that :ohmy:

Bazza

Never said "play stuff nobody knows", Bazza, Just play stuff thats less 'played out' or predictable :ohmy:

Don't think there's anything in the playlist that I chose that no-one knows! If they don't, let me know, I'll post up the file! :shhh:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Hi Mand..I think your right ,I went to a do in lincoln.last week..some of the stuff played I thought was very odd to say the least...it went down well there,but if it was played around here,they would go down like a lead balloon,I enjoyed it, was a good night ,but thought some of the stuff a bit strainge IMHO

Bazza

:ohmy:

Blimey! How did you get past the border guards? :ohmy:

Social source share

If you owned that lot Trevski you could retire. :shhh: That set would be worth a fortune. :ohmy: And you'd get a spot anywhere. The other guy's set is totally played out I.M.H.O

What... and Arin Demain, Ronnie McNeir and Bernie Williams aren't?

Or do you mean the other guy's set aren't big enough money? :ohmy:

Social source share

:ohmy:

Blimey! How did you get past the border guards? :ohmy:

Hi Dave ..was you one of the guys there,.met up with Dawn,dont get me wrong we enjoyed it ,14 of us came up in a mini bus,I was just agreeing with Mandy about different areas playing a different mixture of tunes,see you again

Bazza

Social source share

Hi Dave ..was you one of the guys there,.met up with Dawn,dont get me wrong we enjoyed it ,14 of us came up in a mini bus,I was just agreeing with Mandy about different areas playing a different mixture of tunes,see you again

Bazza

No mate, I wasn't there... though I have been to GH in the past. Was just on the wind-up really :ohmy:

Re the different tunes.... as you drift further East i.e. towards Cleggy, you tend to find more acceptance of "modern" tunes, as has always been the case. Is that what you meant?

Social source share

Recon if you go to any oldies do regularly, you would hear Pat & the Blenders, Majestics and Little Richie ten times running, before you heard Arin Demain once :ohmy:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

No mate, I wasn't there... though I have been to GH in the past. Was just on the wind-up really :ohmy:

Re the different tunes.... as you drift further East i.e. towards Cleggy, you tend to find more acceptance of "modern" tunes, as has always been the case. Is that what you meant?

Ok Dave :ohmy: ...yes more or less...even got a little funky I thought,not complaining by the way (in case Dawn spots this),might see ya there one day/night

Bazza

Social source share

Recon if you go to any oldies do regularly, you would hear Pat & the Blenders, Majestics and Little Richie ten times running, before you heard Arin Domain :ohmy:

Defo not, where I saw you the other week. It's compulsory there! sad.gif:ohmy:

Mind you... Pat and the F***in Blenders is compulsory everywhere! :shhh:

Social source share

"Or do you mean the other guy's set aren't big enough money?"

...Which let's face it is what the rare soul/northern scene is about! It just happens to have turned up some amazing music along the way also...

Edited by noss
Social source share

Lonnie Russ "Say girl"

Arin Demain "Silent treatment"

Gary Dean "You can say"

Sevicemen "Connie"

I would deffo get up to all these, from the other list I would only dance to a couple :ohmy:

Something for everyone, and, IMVHO, and a little less predictable/played out :shhh:

Trevor, In all the years that I've ignored you :ohmy: I've only ever seen you dancing to The Ivorys.

Got to admit though that most of these oldies that you've listed would have me up dancing, whereas the majority of Bazza would have me heckling the DJ to play something good sad.gif

Social source share

Ok Dave :ohmy: ...yes more or less...even got a little funky I thought,not complaining by the way (in case Dawn spots this),might see ya there one day/night

Bazza

No! Don't upset the holy sister, Bazza... or divine retribution will be visited upon you! :shhh:

I'm all for a bit of funk! Played some at a mainly 60s night the other week... and I've nearly got the fruit stains out of my clothes! :ohmy:

Social source share

Trevor, In all the years that I've ignored you :shhh: I've only ever seen you dancing to The Ivorys.

Got to admit though that most of these oldies that you've listed would have me up dancing, whereas the majority of Bazza would have me heckling the DJ to play something good :ohmy:

awwwwwwwww Kirsty an I thought you where a nice pleasant Girl..I must be thinking of the other Kirsty :ohmy:

Bazza

Social source share

"Or do you mean the other guy's set aren't big enough money?"

...Which let's face it is what the rare soul/northern scene is about! It just happens to have turned up some amazing music along the way also...

Not sure I understand that. :ohmy:

Do you mean the scene is just about expensive records? There's plenty of amazing £50 records to be heard as well.

Social source share

Trevor, In all the years that I've ignored you :ohmy: I've only ever seen you dancing to The Ivorys.

Got to admit though that most of these oldies that you've listed would have me up dancing, whereas the majority of Bazza would have me heckling the DJ to play something good :ohmy:

:shhh: You must've been intimidating someone/shaking your tits/playing twister, when they played Mr Lucky "born to love you" at the Wilton last week, or you would've seen me dancing to that! can't resist it, or Robert Tanner sad.gif

Social source share

True, true, I just wish DJ's who play 'em would find something else to fill the floor with, instead of 'playing safe' :shhh: As mentioned in another thread, when was the last time you heard the Construction "Hey little way out girl" played out? Sure it would fill the floor at an oldies do! :ohmy:

Last time I heard that played was at Pilsley Saturday 6th September 2006 at approx 11.45pm!! Decent number danced :ohmy:

Social source share

awwwwwwwww Kirsty an I thought you where a nice pleasant Girl..I must be thinking of the other Kirsty :shhh:

Bazza

You're not wrong there Bazza :ohmy:

I can be nice, but I tend to save it for special occaisions - otherwise people get nervous :ohmy:

Social source share

There's 11 tunes in Trevskys set that I'd be up dancing to. I would have gone home half way through the other set. :ohmy: I'm actually not keen on the three tunes that you have picked out. There's a few people on this site that have got a problem with the price of records. I don't set the prices of records, but if I like something enough, I'll buy it if I can. I keep saying this, if you can send me a tape/CD with cheap records on, that are as good as the big ticket rarities then please do so. I'd love to hear them.

Social source share

If the tunes I listed dont get you moving,I think there must be some thing wrong with you,only reasons I can think off

1, your from "darn sarf" and dont really know what you're on about :P

2, your ears are clogged up :P

3, your allready dead :D

but then again thats why I aint a DJ

Bazza

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!