Maria Tynes-The Queen Is on Her Knees

Thfcliam

I bought a male vocal record as an "exclusive" , on a pretty obscure label , from Tim Brown over 20 years ago . . . it has exactly the same backing track , but entirely different lyrics , ( for obvious reasons . .!! ) , and like ALL of my records , got absolutely no dance floor reaction at "Lifeline" . . . I love it as much as the underplayed Maria T track , but am probably in a minority of one . . !!

Social source share

Just now, greenlight said:

I bought a male vocal record as an "exclusive" , on a pretty obscure label , from Tim Brown over 20 years ago . . . it has exactly the same backing track , but entirely different lyrics , ( for obvious reasons . .!! ) , and like ALL of my records , got absolutely no dance floor reaction at "Lifeline" . . . I love it as much as the underplayed Maria T track , but am probably in a minority of one . . !!

Is it on youtube?

Social source share

I'm a registered Neanderthal , where technology is concerned I'm afraid , I don't possess a CD player or even a record deck , ( sad but TRUE ) . . . I just listen to YouTube , if I get "the urge" for owt . . . someone on here may know it and upload an mp3 , or whatever other form of up to date clever-dickery is currently available. . . 

Social source share

I always thought the Maria Tynes should be played more , its great and very soulful . . . Barry Waddington auctioned the Uptown W/D a few weeks ago and it only fetched around £38 , which I though was very cheap , as I would rate it pretty tough , imho . . . I was being ultra mean that day , and ended as runner-up . . . served me right . . .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

18 minutes ago, thfcliam said:
3 minutes ago, thfcliam said:

£38  WOW! that's really cheap. Cant understand how its not well known to be honest(even on youtube theres no comment), I agree its a great soulful record and I would love to hear it out..... 

I reasoned that because M T was so underplayed , ( it was more of a great "semi-known" than clapped out oldie ) ,  and that's why NO-ONE was dancing to my "version" , but in reality I was just an ultra shit Dj . . . your topic may well now hopefully get it activated ( can't say re-activated in all truth . . . ?? ) . . . just YouTubed it and it sounds GREAT . . . 

Social source share

I'm sure you were not a "Ultra shit DJ" like you say its probally a good thing loads of people dont love it or know it, I would love to hear the version you got....  Just seen theres a copy of it on rarenorthernsoul.com for £100

£38 seems like a bargain!!!

Edited by thfcliam
Social source share

Ive only ever had the more common black issue , that was kicking around in the odd small sales box for £20 - £30 and never much more tbh . . . it was a fair few years ago in all truth , and one I haven't seen around too often since . . . I thoroughly expected to "win" the W/D of Bazza for under £20 , because of the reasons we've mentioned . . . I was honestly gutted when my "tight" bid failed , because it was a nice copy . . . and its just ANOTHER one that got away , to add to my burgeoning list of failures . . . 

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Great Track Ian Jackson who's a DJ Legend on the  Mod Scene used to collect Uptown back in the 80s.

Got me into loads of Great tracks Intertains Randy Taylor,Groove Stick,Intensions,Bj and the Profits,Cookie Jackson and the Selectives 

When Keb started Playing Ducky and the Glowlighters we thought Ian would have 

but no it was a Different Uptown

Al H 

Social source share

Maria Tynes certainly had spins early to mid 80's Stafford era, George Sharp if I remember rightly.

Nick is far from a shit Dj.  At Lifeline when he Dj'ed he was, for want of a better word, as upfront as anyone.  Certainly palyed more unknowns and semi knowns than anyone.  He always went on first as he doesn't like the limelight but he always created some discussion with his plays.

I've heard the track in question but I can't remember it or if he told who it is, memory is getting worse lol

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I would also like to know what the other cut was that used that background, and to hear it.  I assume that Maria Tynes was an L.A. artist, and that that was an L.A. production (although it sounds like Maria and the producers were sort of copying Johnnie Mae Matthews' sound).  I remember seeing Stan Silver's name on several records but don't remember if they were all L.A. productions.  His name doesn't stand out with me as being associated with anything that I like a lot.  I also wonder who the session players were.  That's a pretty tight and solid Soul track (more of a full sound than many of the small-label L.A. productions).

I know that a lot of the Capitol Records productions used The Wrecking Crew, and that Uptown, like Tower, was a Capitol Records subsidiary.  But, I suspect that this was an independent production, leased to Uptown/Capitol.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

Maria Tynes certainly had spins early to mid 80's Stafford era, George Sharp if I remember rightly.

Nick is far from a shit Dj.  At Lifeline when he Dj'ed he was, for want of a better word, as upfront as anyone.  Certainly palyed more unknowns and semi knowns than anyone.  He always went on first as he doesn't like the limelight but he always created some discussion with his plays.

I've heard the track in question but I can't remember it or if he told who it is, memory is getting worse lol

Sounds like a good DJ TBH I would like to hear him

32 minutes ago, RobbK said:

I would also like to know what the other cut was that used that background, and to hear it.  I assume that Maria Tynes was an L.A. artist, and that that was an L.A. production (although it sounds like Maria and the producers were sort of copying Johnnie Mae Matthews' sound).  I remember seeing Stan Silver's name on several records but don't remember if they were all L.A. productions.  His name doesn't stand out with me as being associated with anything that I like a lot.  I also wonder who the session players were.  That's a pretty tight and solid Soul track (more of a full sound than many of the small-label L.A. productions).

I know that a lot of the Capitol Records productions used The Wrecking Crew, and that Uptown, like Tower, was a Capitol Records subsidiary.  But, I suspect that this was an independent production, leased to Uptown/Capitol.

Good information. There has got to be someone on here ,who knows who the other record is???????

Social source share

Maria Tynes was originally from New Orleans I believe, but moved to LA and had quite a bit of success in the R&B scene there. She wrote a couple of songs with Bobby Womack for Wilson Pickett and also wrote for Bob & Earl, the Sisters Love, Leon Haywood, Jean Knight and others. Maybe her biggest claim to Northern Scene fame was writing "Send Him Back" for the Pointer Sisters. Her few tracks as an artist show she had great vocal quality.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

33 minutes ago, garethx said:

Maria Tynes was originally from New Orleans I believe, but moved to LA and had quite a bit of success in the R&B scene there. She wrote a couple of songs with Bobby Womack for Wilson Pickett and also wrote for Bob & Earl, the Sisters Love, Leon Haywood, Jean Knight and others. Maybe her biggest claim to Northern Scene fame was writing "Send Him Back" for the Pointer Sisters. Her few tracks as an artist show she had great vocal quality.

Thanks.  Nice to learn more about her.

Social source share

I spoke to her a number of years ago when I was helping Dave Godin with research on one of his Deep Soul CD  projects. At the time she was still in L.A. working in a hospital. I think she lived in Marina Del Ray. She had very fond memories of her time as a singer and was quite surprised that she was remembered. As I recall she had given up on being a singer. She was really nice. No idea what she's doing now 

andy

Edited by Andy Rix
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Great record,black issue copy sold on Discogs July 2015 £25, .Xmas party game ,"Guess Mannys Price" isay £250 {factor of 10 rule; Mp x Jms = manny price].

Social source share

I

7 minutes ago, Peter Richer said:

Sorry, I don't quite understand ... what '0's might JM have a problem with? Has he stated a price he might expect, or has set as a reserve?

no idea, but JM sells records at very inflated prices, so thats where the additional '0's come from, I'm not going to get into some argument with you about this mate, other than to say, its a cheap record, so dont pay over £30 for it.. if you want to pay JM prices, then pls be my guest...

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Mal C said:

I

no idea, but JM sells records at very inflated prices, so thats where the additional '0's come from, I'm not going to get into some argument with you about this mate, other than to say, its a cheap record, so dont pay over £30 for it.. if you want to pay JM prices, then pls be my guest...

Actually I don't really like the record that much, so won't be paying even £30 for one (but don't object that you just have).

Just a request for information/clarification as this isn't a JM set-sale, it's an auction. It will be up to the bidders, not JM, what the final price will be.

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Peter Richer said:

Actually I don't really like the record that much, so won't be paying even £30 for one (but don't object that you just have).

Just a request for information/clarification as this isn't a JM set-sale, it's an auction. It will be up to the bidders, not JM, what the final price will be.

no problem...:thumbsup:

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

17 hours ago, pomonkey said:

Far prefer her Amber 45, one of many great cuts on that label (bonus points if you like garage too as has some monsters, Frank Ventura etc)

The other way around for me. Never consider this Uptown 45 to be either that rare or in-demand to fetch above £50. But you don't see it everyday and it's a quality sound to justify a "time passage" demand for it... maybe...

Social source share

On 11/25/2015, 11:21:23, thfcliam said:

Is it on youtube?

I can remember Nick buying this 45 from Browny i was working there at the time,  i dare say it's 25 years ago. It came in a box of stuff Simon Soussan had sent over also in the deal Nick got the Conner Cagle and the Batchelors four - Always let your good side show , which cost him an arm and a leg at the time. The 45 in question i can't really help with any definitive facts other than i feel certain it was a pink' lilac couloured label with black font and incredibly obscure.. I can tell you though that it wasn't that good kinda weak vocals  with ill fitting lyrics, infact i remember trying to talk him out of buying it ah .When the others came up on ebay i saw them and listened to them and smirked to myself Nick is gonna bid on these and i nearly did him like he had me many times , but decided against it. A few weeks later Nick came to mine with all the variants and put me through listening to them all trying to pick out the differences, i think we recorded them aswell so he could keep listening to them (he didn't have a stereo at the time) He played it at the first Lifeline niter, the night he poked himself in the eye with the mike !  Great stuff... can't for the life of me remember the artist though, Nicks brother i guess holds the key to the info cos i assume the 45's are still there with him - it would be a shame for the records to be broke up and sold though. R.I.P .

• Helpful 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Dysonsoul said:

I can remember Nick buying this 45 from Browny i was working there at the time,  i dare say it's 25 years ago. It came in a box of stuff Simon Soussan had sent over also in the deal Nick got the Conner Cagle and the Batchelors four - Always let your good side show , which cost him an arm and a leg at the time. The 45 in question i can't really help with any definitive facts other than i feel certain it was a pink' lilac couloured label with black font and incredibly obscure.. I can tell you though that it wasn't that good kinda weak vocals  with ill fitting lyrics, infact i remember trying to talk him out of buying it ah .When the others came up on ebay i saw them and listened to them and smirked to myself Nick is gonna bid on these and i nearly did him like he had me many times , but decided against it. A few weeks later Nick came to mine with all the variants and put me through listening to them all trying to pick out the differences, i think we recorded them aswell so he could keep listening to them (he didn't have a stereo at the time) He played it at the first Lifeline niter, the night he poked himself in the eye with the mike !  Great stuff... can't for the life of me remember the artist though, Nicks brother i guess holds the key to the info cos i assume the 45's are still there with him - it would be a shame for the records to be broke up and sold though. R.I.P .

RIP

Edited by richnospins
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dysonsoul said:

Thanks for the info. I really wanna hear the record, is there anyway you can ask his brother?

Even though I didn't no nick i Feel saddened and shocked as I was only speaking to him on this thread last Wednesday. Had he been ill? 

RIP

Social source share

6 minutes ago, thfcliam said:

Thanks for the info. I really wanna hear the record, is there anyway you can ask his brother?

Even though I didn't no nick i Feel saddened and shocked as I was only speaking to him on this thread last Wednesday. Had he been ill? 

RIP

I will speak to him about it, but it will be after the funeral of course, he was a great guy shame your paths never crossed - he had text me a few weeks prior to his passing saying he was feeling rough, but i didn't realise how serious it was i'm sorry to say.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!