Northern played at football matches

Tomangoes

Took my lad (Paul B on here) to Sheffield Wednesday vs Newcastle around 2000 and they played Judy Street's What at half time. We are Burnley fans, but it was an arranged football day out with the Scouts....they played a Sheffield Scouts team in the morning, and the match in the PM, then onto Harry Ramsdens.

I have never heard a Northern tune on Turf Moor, even though Burnley has been a NS hotbed from 70/71 onwards.

Social source share

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎07‎:‎44, tomangoes said:

Not sure if this has been done before, but as a starter, Nolan Porter - If I could only be sure - was played at Old Trafford last night........

Ed

Given that performance it's unlikely Willie Mitchell will be getting added to the OT playlist any time soon.  :(

• Helpful 2
Social source share

What about football played at Northern Soul events? In the early 9t's and Ady's Cleethorpes Weekenders there would be a Sunday footie match in the afternoon. Johnny Beggs in goal. Micky Cruise playing a cracking game although he couldn't breathe after 90 minutes lol

I'm a Wigan Athletic lass and they always knock out the Northern Soul prematch and at half time. Shame they play shite football now....

Social source share

10 hours ago, Mrs M said:

What about football played at Northern Soul events? In the early 9t's and Ady's Cleethorpes Weekenders there would be a Sunday footie match in the afternoon. Johnny Beggs in goal. Micky Cruise playing a cracking game although he couldn't breathe after 90 minutes lol

I'm a Wigan Athletic lass and they always knock out the Northern Soul prematch and at half time. Shame they play shite football now....

I remember there was at least one 5-a-side game (maybe two) played outside the Spinning Jenny All-Dayer late 70's.

Can't remember who played but a think Colin Curtis had something to do with it.

It was the week that Jonathan had bought Frank Wilson, that was the big talk between the record collectors at the time.

Social source share

On 11/27/2015, 1:39:15, professorturnups said:

Didn't Wigan Athletic have a Northern Soul day fairly recently?

Mark C:thumbsup:

They sure did on the 6-12-2014... The reviews weren't good not sure if they have another lined up this year

watch?v=UrBWM-tD3ZY

Edited by dedji1955
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 28 November 2015 at 11:21, davetay said:

I remember there was at least one 5-a-side game (maybe two) played outside the Spinning Jenny All-Dayer late 70's.

Can't remember who played but a think Colin Curtis had something to do with it.

It was the week that Jonathan had bought Frank Wilson, that was the big talk between the record collectors at the time.

There were a couple after kickabouts in the dunes in the morning after the mecca.

Never in the know enough to get picked lol.

Social source share

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 10:07, tomangoes said:

Not sure if this has been done before, but as a starter, Nolan Porter - If I could only be sure - was played at Old Trafford last night........Even got a 'clap' when it finished:)

What's getting played at your club?

Ed

Northern is regularly featured on the pre match playlists at Old Trafford, at Fergusons last match he chose a few tracks too which were played

Social source share

Guest gfarrington
19 hours ago, mtay9778 said:

Northern is regularly featured on the pre match playlists at Old Trafford, at Fergusons last match he chose a few tracks too which were played

what did he choose 60 mins of your extra time

Social source share

4 minutes ago, de-to said:

Its a different shaped ball but i just heard the mvps," turning my hearbeat up" being played at the end of the BBC coverage of the wales v scotland rugby game...

Yep, me too, 

MVP   Most Valuable Player , an American football term... so some similarity there then.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!