Is this the rarest record of all time?

Quinvy

I don't know who put this up on you tube. But as far as I'm aware there has only ever been one copy of this ever turned up? Guy H spin, then TIm Brown had it and sold it because he didn't like it. Haven't got a clue who owns it now. I tried to find out when I was running Burnley.

In fact I remember now, someone told me the name of the current owner, but said he would never part with it.

Anyone know any more?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=1iN1UYIRA_U

Social source share

wow that is weird,i was chasing around the internet yesterday looking for this,but couldnt find it,absolutely no info on the tune either other than,guy h had it and then it move hands!

i must admit i was expecting something a bit more special,bit of a damp sqib really,raritie over quality here i reckon!

Social source share

also on a seperate note,whilst trying to find a soundfile of contessa (to no avale) so well done for finding it and posting it! i cant find a soundfile on another raritie...traditions-on fire-artco..can you do your magic and find that one too?

Edited by dobber
Social source share

37 minutes ago, chalky said:

John Parker certainly has the other by them.  It is on Las Bar or something like that, both records by them are.  I have a sound file of this bout the same quality of the youtube clip,  and the Traditions.

wouldnt mind hearing the traditions tune?

Social source share

2 hours ago, dobber said:

upon research there are 2 releases by this person/group?

do we know if its acetate or release?

At least 2 groups with that name. The group on E Records was white. The group on WGW Records were black  ( Mary Bivins Perry, Phyllis Stateman, Joyce (Stateman) Walker, Toni Stateman ).

Contessas+(2)+1.jpg

Contessas+(2)+2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3T9wqxKyRE

Social source share

3 hours ago, Quinvy said:

I only know Andy Killick that owns one, and I can't see him putting a sound file out for everyone to have.

Only for you Phil, Its too sacred for the masses just yet. The contessa, "i need you baby" again, just for you only at this time.

You just need to ask.

Our new cohort, need to discover them for them selves.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Aren't there countless one-copy-known acetates out there that ought to be considered equally as rare - if not rarer – than "the rarest record of all time"?

Come to that, and excluding acetates, did any label ever actually press just one copy of anything?*

* excluding the alleged one-off gimmicky press of a hyped record a few years ago that was supposedly held securely in a vault in Morocco or somewhere similar!

Social source share

11 hours ago, Tai-Pan said:

Only for you Phil, Its too sacred for the masses just yet. The contessa, "i need you baby" again, just for you only at this time.

You just need to ask.

Our new cohort, need to discover them for them selves.

No worries Andy. I agree with you entirely. It's too easy to obtain sound files of these rare records, and devalues going out to hear them.

I am amazed that you have managed to obtain a copy of "Contessa" well done mate. :thumbsup:

Hope all is well with you. :thumbsup:

Social source share

23 hours ago, jimmy clitheroe said:

I like it , there far worse ihmo ...Paul

I liked it too.. :yes: although I don't recall having ever heard it previously.  But knowing me, I PROBABLY HAVE !! (several times too, no doubt) - I'm just not in possession of sufficient brain cells these days to be able to remember :rofl:

It immediately reminded me of No No Starr's 'Swing Your Love My Way' (to these cloth ears at least) sharing several similarities I think.. both in arrangement and vocal (delivery)   :huh:

Mind you.. I, for one, would DEFFO part with some of my hard earned ££'s if a copy were to be offered.

Provided ONLY that its sale price was reflective of the aforementioned Midas 45 (of course)

Social source share

1 hour ago, Ted Massey said:

Mark Oliver from Gloucester bought Breakaway of eBay quite cheap in think and I think sold it to John, I was offered it but found it a bit boring to be honest

Been on ebay or for sale somewhere else since John had it, last three or four years.

Social source share

Afternoon All

Had the Contessa record covered as Clydie King...

A second copy came up for sale..Im presuming thats the one Ted is talking about which I bought..

I have heard of one other copy

I put a copy for sale on here ..I think thats the one Chalky is referring to but decided not to sell it in the end..I think the sound file is the one I did at the time

For me its one of those records that sounds fine at home but really brought to life on a big system.

Big favorite at York Soul club..and had some play at the back end of Stafford

IMO..Just right for now..as they say

Edited by john parker
Social source share

On 2 December 2015 01:35:12, Russell Gilbert said:

Come to that, and excluding acetates, did any label ever actually press just one copy of anything?*

* excluding the alleged one-off gimmicky press of a hyped record a few years ago that was supposedly held securely in a vault in Morocco or somewhere similar!

Can't think of any reason why a soul label would issue ONE 45, an acetate would make sense for a one-off but pressing a single, err, single would be really expensive.

Earlier this year a post-punk band the Sexual Objects (featuring Davy Henderson of the Fire Engines and Win) pressed one copy of their album and auctioned it, along with the rights to the recording:

https://www.popsike.com/THE-SEXUAL-OBJECTS-ALBUM-33RPM-MARSHMALLOW-LP-2015-EXCLUSIVE-RIGHTS-FOREVER/161560983500.html

Social source share

1 hour ago, cover-up said:

Can't think of any reason why a soul label would issue ONE 45, an acetate would make sense for a one-off but pressing a single, err, single would be really expensive.

Maybe only one record survived from a test run? Did the pressing plants do a trial press first but on a demonstration copy? Perhaps the run was halted as the labels were reversed or the records off-centre. Evidently, plenty of records were disposed of, most notably Frank Wilson, so now there exists the possibility that there are only single copies of some releases in existence. Are there any pressing plant operatives out there with a story to tell? Must be cases of machines breaking down, running out of vinyl, air bubbles in the vinyl etc resulting in odd copies being put on top shelves...

Social source share

6 hours ago, cover-up said:

Earlier this year a post-punk band the Sexual Objects (featuring Davy Henderson of the Fire Engines and Win) pressed one copy of their album and auctioned it, along with the rights to the recording:

https://www.popsike.com/THE-SEXUAL-OBJECTS-ALBUM-33RPM-MARSHMALLOW-LP-2015-EXCLUSIVE-RIGHTS-FOREVER/161560983500.html

Wu-Tang Clan - from a year and a half ago...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2014/05/06/unlocking-the-wu-tang-clans-secret-album-in-morocco/

Social source share

10 hours ago, chalky said:

@guyh you right be able to help with some of the history of the Contessa mate

Eyup Chalky, as far as I know... Pat Brady played it first at Wigan maybe '79-80 then Mark Linton bought it, I think that was Pats copy, and I got it off Mark for swops, back end of Stafford time. I sold it late 80's I think, can't remember who to...I didn't cut a dub to keep either. Cheers, G

• Helpful 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

As far as I'm aware, Wu Tang didn't actually make anything though. Think they planned on selling it first (for something like a million dollars) and THEN they'd present it in a gold-plated box. Not even sure if it was a record, but the amount of work you need to go to, to produce ONE record is massive. Not gluing a label onto a test pressing, but actually printing labels and pressing them onto the vinyl. Jean Michel Jarre has made a one-off too...

**just read the link you supplied, yes, it's a box - no record yet!

Edited by cover-up
Social source share

46 minutes ago, cover-up said:

As far as I'm aware, Wu Tang didn't actually make anything though. Think they planned on selling it first (for something like a million dollars) and THEN they'd present it in a gold-plated box. Not even sure if it was a record, but the amount of work you need to go to, to produce ONE record is massive. Not gluing a label onto a test pressing, but actually printing labels and pressing them onto the vinyl. Jean Michel Jarre has made a one-off too...

**just read the link you supplied, yes, it's a box - no record yet!

Not a record, but a CD...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2015/11/24/wu-tang-clan-secret-album-sold-by-paddle8-but-to-whom/

Social source share

Good evening

Ref The record, an old mate of mine is sat on a copy-had it for years-hes a group collector and deliberately keeps himself "under the radar" so to speak-saw him the other week and had a few beers with him and it sounded a lot better after a skinfull!!

Not a particurlarly great record but might sound ok if you are in a club and firing on full cylinders if you know what I mean!!!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!