Nick Stevenson R.I.P

Chalky

Top bloke - as reliable as a chocolate tea pot at times but from the moment we first met in a back room in a pub in Loughborough in early 90's and I was amazed by the sounds he had in his sales box - Reatha Reese / Executive Four to name a couple - bearing out what was said earlier - always looking for the next unknown and only a couple of weeks ago he responded to a wants of mine to by informing me I would be lucky to find another copy as the one he lent me back then was one of only two to surface. Always considered him a mate from those days and so sad to hear of his passing - Hope Phil will let us know of any funeral arrangements - deserves a proper send off.

Steve & Jan

Social source share

Really sad news

Known Nick for years Went to many a do together and it was always a very pleasurable car journey wherever we went

Such an interesting and funny guy and very knowledgeable  He will be sadly missed especially on the soul scene.

RIP old friend 

Eric P.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nick Stevo - what can you say for those who really knew him, yes, he like a few others came to my house for a weekend  and stayed for weeks,this happened many times, I didn't care, the stories he told me, and the times we had together , he liked his Guinness  !!!! . Thank you for driving the whole day of my wedding . When he was in Weston he went to the Chinese and ordered food , they said he would have an hour wait,  so he nipped across the road to the pub for a couple of drinks . He then returned to pick up his order and the guy behind the counter said he had not been in at all to order any !!!  A massived arguement ensued !!!!  When he asked Nick what food he had ordered,  the guy behind the counter said you beter go next door This is the INDIAN takeaway,  NOT the CHINESE

All the best Nick ,  no need to get angry anymore , because you  won't be backing another losing horse or football team.

John and Kristine Atkinson - Burnley  X

Social source share

Couldn't believe what I was reading on facebook when I saw Mick's post. Totally shocked, and very sad that our paths will never cross again. I genuinely used to look forward to seeing Nick and listening to his great stories. 

One of the best and will be much missed. RIP.

Social source share

Had the so much respect for Nick as a fellow collector,,,

Like many on here we bought and sold to each other over the years,,, a regular face in record bars and sometimes behind  the decks at Quality Rare Soul Events

Condolences to all Nicks close friends and family

Will be much missed on the Soul Scene

RIP and Huge Respect

Sleep well Nick :hatsoff2:

Nige Brown x

Social source share

Having read Mr Dysons and other peoples stories about Nick I thought I would chuck one in for the record, again it shows his character. So we are at one of the Lifelines week-ender, Nicks got a face about him, the Victor Meldrew look I noticed from across the room, now I don't remember who I was talking to at the time but it was someone who was well up on music so I thought I should introduce this person to Nick as they would have similar levels of knowledge. Over we go " Nick say hello to a friend of mine hes a record buff too" well the response I got from Nick was so rude and negative, I didn't know where to put my face. Wasn't happy with him at the time but weve laughed many a time since about that night, your a run@ and I love you and I will miss you too. Gilly

Edited by Gilly
Social source share

A right good lad, always had a funny tale to tell. A great record knowledge and was always willing to share it, a good listener as well. Very loyal to his friends. Nick was someone who's company I always enjoyed, regardless of the hour! He'll be well missed. My thoughts go out to Phil and all the family and his close mates too. G

Edited by guyh
Bad punctuation
Social source share

Dreadful news. I didn't see a lot of Nick but always enjoyed a good natter and a fair few laughs whenever we bumped into each other in Belper. As others have said - great knowledge and relentless enthusiasm for new records. Sincere condolences to the family and those closest to him.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nick you were a great guy, a very good friend,  and a guy who knew the true meaning of soul music, you will be sadly missed and in the words of the Johnny Robinson okeh recording you may be GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN. God Bless RIP Nick my friend. Al Coney

Edited by jaymancha
forgot to put my name to it
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest littlemodiddley
On 02/12/2015 at 16:15, Dysonsoul said:

Nick called at my house out of the blue some 20 years ago with a handfull of 45's , his tools and a towel - he was up to the neck in bother..... so i said there's a few jobs to do here, here's a front and back door key (which he still has to this day ) come and go as you please ! This visit was for a couple of years and one of many in which we extended and converted the new house, he kinda became one of the family - treating my two kids like his own (i know he had no contact with his own kids)  His life story is beyond belief ,it really is you couldn't make it up as he would say ...  i figured while at mine he was at least fed and watered and away from bother...

There are countless memories here is one After returning from the pub Nick said "we haven't taken the hovercraft and speed boat out for a while " so off to the duck pond 2 in the morning , after a short while the hover craft gets stuck right in the middle... round and round i said" Nick it;s gonna sink, it's the kids " "no chance " he says so a deal had to be done i offered any £10 record from the shed, he rolled his jeans up (the only pair he had) still keeping his shoes on (the only pair he had)  off he went - just in time he reached out, caught his foot in something and went head first sinking the hover craft and himself, he lost his shoe a sock and the hover craft ! As if by magic a police patrol car pulled up and asked what was going on. To be honest i was pissing meself, the police pointed out that recently youths had been throwing stuff at the ducks, of course this was a million miles away from what we were doing.... Nick asked if they had a towel ah , they jotted down our names my addy and ages and advised us to start acting like our ages... That night probably cost me £100 for new shoes ,socks and a boat + the £10 record, but money well spent !

"You haven't burnt my head hair for a few days" he would say, "come to think of it i haven't" he would bend down and up went the tuft at the front... "i canner believe you've just done that it stinks" he'd say then he would turn round and ask me to do the back, i would always slip and catch his ears.....

If it was anyone else i guess it wouldn't be so funny, he was due to come up here and do some bits in the next week or two and sort out the spare copy of Sam Williams i saved for him, that is not to be but the same things that brought us together were there to the end. He will never be too far away i suppose and i reckon he will be with Kate now the woman who tried to destroy him so many times, he never quite got over her taking her life. He was a loyal and trustworthy friend who i miss already , going out just will not be the same 

Edited by littlemodiddley
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!