Ebay Private Feedback

Guest kelvinx

Can anyone pleas shed some light on private feedback?

I thought the whole point in feedback was transparancey.OK someone may post negative feedback you dont' agree with but at least you have the chance to repsond.

Keeping feedback private puts me off the seller...but I wonder in what possible senario a seller would be justified in having it?

Edited by kelvinx
Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Can anyone pleas shed some light on private feedback?

I thought the whole point in feedback was transparancey.OK someone may post negative feedback you dont' agree with but at least you have the chance to repsond.

Keeping feedback private puts me off the seller...but I wonder in what possible senario a seller would be justified in having it?

I too am pretty mystified by it, but the choice is there and some choose to hide it. As a seller, I have had no more trouble with those buyers who choose to hide it than those who don't.......sellers who hide it do themselves no favours.....

Cheers Girth

Social source share

I went private because I was sick of people telling me what I'd brought....and how much I'd paid for it.

and I wouldn't blame you either - it's your choice and people should respect your privacy if you want it. I used to cop a lot of flack back home for not giving my names away, but it's like someone wanting a copy of your recent acquisitions list and credit card statement.

I first went private when someone posted feedback with my name in it and I felt really embarrassed with his comment. I keep multi-accounts for different records and have access to the other half's account when I want.

Not an isolated incident here either, but the best for me was when someone came up to me and asked me what my other half paid for a record. I fibbed and said I couldn't remember (it seemed more polite than "ask him if he wants to tell you - I don't own him") and then she proceeded to tell me what he'd paid. ...Well, what could I say to that? :P

Another favourite shocker is to call the bidder with fluffy stories (eg. about the seller or a find) in an effort to turn them off bidding. Also, some big DJs get followers watching their bids/buys - to pick up early what may become the next big sound (or cover-up). You can't really blame them for name-changing or going private.

Sellers are often buyers too - you could turned off "private" to sell but can be a pain to find.

Having private feedback does not stop any member looking up what you bid on in the last 90 days, plus your positive/neutral/negative feedback statistics can be seen.

All it does is stop the actual comments being seen, although I've heard there are ways around that too.

m

Social source share

seeing peoples feedback is useful , i found out that a dealer was buying stuff from the states for very little and ripping me off on the stuff he was selling to me as i was new to collecting , i only found his id by chance as we were both bidding on the same 45.

i know that its a dealers job to make money but this was before price guides and before i found the forums but it made me think twice about using him and in the end i stopped

private feedback can look dodgy but i have always got on ok with sellers , most use it as they sell and buy on the one account

Social source share

seeing peoples feedback is useful , i found out that a dealer was buying stuff from the states for very little and ripping me off on the stuff he was selling to me as i was new to collecting , i only found his id by chance as we were both bidding on the same 45.

i know that its a dealers job to make money but this was before price guides and before i found the forums but it made me think twice about using him and in the end i stopped

private feedback can look dodgy but i have always got on ok with sellers , most use it as they sell and buy on the one account

How was he ripping you off?

I take it he offered you a record at a certain price....and you said yes to that price?

If I was selling a £200 quid record from my collection....regardless of how much I'd paid for it,(even if I'd pnly paid $10) I would want somewhere around £200....I don't really see how that would be ripping anyone off.

Social source share

he was telling me stuff was rare and tunes were classics and as he was a well known dj from a big soul event , i believed him .

it wasnt until i tried to trade some stuff back to him and then my friends dad looked at what he had sold me that i realised he was just dumping his stuff that noone else wanted on me , telling me they were classics dancers etc

some of the tunes were good but i paid well over the odds not knowing , so he got me for quiet abit of cash but he then lost all business

Social source share

he was telling me stuff was rare and tunes were classics and as he was a well known dj from a big soul event , i believed him .

it wasnt until i tried to trade some stuff back to him and then my friends dad looked at what he had sold me that i realised he was just dumping his stuff that noone else wanted on me , telling me they were classics dancers etc

some of the tunes were good but i paid well over the odds not knowing , so he got me for quiet abit of cash but he then lost all business

Sorry David...I understand now....Charging the going rate for something you were lucky enough to pick up cheap is no sin....actually lying to inflate prices is deffinitely out of order. :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

going private does not stop people seeing what you've bought - .,.... if you know where to look :thumbsup:

Private can look dodgy but understandable, so I prefer to have an agreement with anyone who i'll be buying repeatedly with, simply not to leave feedback right from the outset. It's not compulsory anyhow.

Social source share

As from the end of this month anyone with private feedback will no longer be able to list things for sale......you can still buy with an ID that has private feedback, but not sell.

Adam.

Social source share

Guest smigger

going private does not stop people seeing what you've bought - .,.... if you know where to look wink.gif

You've scared me now.

Don't mind anybody seeing what records I get at what price. It's the sex toys I buy that I'd like to keep secret. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!